Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I've also realized LONG ago that most people are very provincial.

When I say hunting, lots of guys have an image in their head of sitting in a blind/tree stand and waiting for that GOLDEN shot presentation.

In which case being a gold medal winning, match shooter and shooting Olympic bullets will likely make you smile.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
BP-B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by BobinNH
prm: You will almost NEVER see a Hornady bullet at a registered shoot in my part of the country.

What type of match?

If it's anything 600 yards and closer where a 308 is applicable I'd think the current AMP jacket 168 Hornady BTHP ought to be a contender. I've shot a big load of them along with similar weight Sierras and Noslers and they've all been quite good.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Almost all the deer I've killed were killed with Sierra bullets. I've got no complaints with them. I've had better performance out of them than some Hornadys, frankly.

I'd rather not EVER use the 140gr. BTSPs out of a .270 again, and probably won't. I've had them go all to pieces, or not expand, out of the same box of bullets. A plant tour of Hornady's place got me some falsehoods told, too.

Some of the first batches had the cannelure WAY far back on the bullet, later boxes had the cannelure moved forward to keep the bullets keep them together better. The techs at Hornady told me they'd never changed the bullets, period, but the bullets I had had different shapes and the ogives were considerably different.
That sorta soured me on Hornady. I've had NO such issues with Sierras.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
A while back the ogives changed on the Hornady 150 grain 308 and 139 grain 7mm flat bases and neither one shoots the same for me. For deer hunting at my range limitations it doesn't really matter much, but it still bugs me.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by mathman
A while back the ogives changed on the Hornady 150 grain 308 and 139 grain 7mm flat bases and neither one shoots the same for me. For deer hunting at my range limitations it doesn't really matter much, but it still bugs me.

Rule #1: When you find something you LIKE, buy an truckload of it, because they probably won't be making it next week.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Steelhead

Rule #1: When you find something you LIKE, buy an truckload of it, because they probably won't be making it next week.

Nor will they tell you if they changed it if they do happen to still be making it.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Back in the 70's and 80's I too traveled the high power silhouette circuit, California, Nevada, Arizona and New Mexico. If 100 shooters showed up, 98 of them would be using Sierra's. One of my first deer rifles was a M721 30.06 In those days I'd fill a Winchester case up with IMR4350 and seat a 150gr Sierra in it. I still have not seen much improvement over that bullet's performance. It just kills the snot outa deer and such. I think some of us way over think what's needed to kill deer sized animals. We do not need bullets that will shoot through concrete walls while retaining 99 percent of their weight. However, I do see a place for using a premium bullets on elk sized animal and that's what I do these days. As much as I respect Sierra and Hornady bullets, I'm now only hunting BG with Nosler Partitions largely in and effort to simply my life.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Originally Posted by Steelhead

Nor will they tell you if they changed it if they do happen to still be making it.

Don't matter, see Rule #1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by BobinNH
prm: You will almost NEVER see a Hornady bullet at a registered shoot in my part of the country.

What type of match?

If it's anything 600 yards and closer where a 308 is applicable I'd think the current AMP jacket 168 Hornady BTHP ought to be a contender. I've shot a big load of them along with similar weight Sierras and Noslers and they've all been quite good.

Math man: I don't know...registered NRA matches, High power,over the course. Whatever they call them. Perry, Wimbledon, Quantico. I don't participate as I have never had the time for it.

These shooters are some of the best in the northeast and nationwide, and some have competed against guys like Tubbs and Litz. Some are (what do they call them?) Wimbledon Grand Masters? Including at least one woman last year.

Some are my friends for years. They shoot Sierra's. You ask them "Why no Hornady for score?" they all say the same thing...

Quote: "There's at least one problem in every box". When you shoot for score in competition,I guess you can't tolerate that.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
TTSXs like Porsche, there are no substitutes....

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by jorgeI

Exactamundo! grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by jorgeI

With those things you shoot at a zillion fps I suspect not much else would hold together!

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
2 comments

I have shot a LOT of hornady at matches. And a lot of Sierra. Not to mention a lot of others, like berger and JLKs

The only hornady I ever shot that held a tight race to sierras was the 75 amax. And even then they had a couple of bad lots of them where I had to trade in 5-10,000 bullets a few times for new runs.

Sierra, I have seen a sierra fail to kill a deer. Shot through both lungs. 165 game king, out of 30-06.

Piece of lung on the ground. Deer was killed running a doe 3 weeks later with scars in both lungs.

I think that may have been a bit more of the deers desire to live, but a 30 cal hole in a rib going on and same going out, would indicate very little expansion.

While my 7mm experiences with the 160 game king in a 7x300 wtyb have never failed to kill, at the same distances, around 80 to about 175ish yards, I've seen about every example of expansion imagineable from that bullet. Quit using it after 2 years of hunting with it. You could head shoot a doe and about take the head off one time, then next have a 7mm entry hole in the head and about a dime or so exit...

Even had a small pig, about 50 pounds trotting off around 150-175 yards take one to the back of the neck, trying for the head, and the bullet blew up on the spine trying to get into the skull which it never did.

Its a reason I"m so much an all around Barnes shooter generally speaking.

The most consistently performing cup and cores that I"ve shot have been partitions and bergers.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think Hornady's recent implementation of AMP jackets in its match bullets within the last few years has helped with consistency.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
My one experience shooting game with Sierras was interesting. I normally used Speer hot cores in my .260, but in the fall of 2000 I bought a box of Sierra 120 grain flat base hunting bullets, think they were pro hunters. We had a lot of snow that fall, and getting around was tough. I shot a mule deer doe at about 80 yards across a coulee. I saw the dust fly from behind the doe's shoulder, and she took off running down a cow trail. Crossed the coulee, found blood, but not a lot. Easy to see with the snow though. Followed her about 1/3 of a mile, thank goodness she stayed on the trail and didn't head down into the steep draw the cow trail paralleled. When my friend and I dressed her, there was a 26 caliber hole in, between two ribs, and a 26 caliber hole out, again between two ribs. I don't think the bullet expanded at all. Not a lot of lung damage either, though some. I was loading those to a little over 2800 fps, and as close as I was, impact velocity should still have been good. I know this was a sample of one, and missing a rib both entrance and exit is probably not common, but I switched back to Speers after that and shot up the rest of the Sierras at targets.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The thing I like about Sierras is that if you work up a good load with a particular bullet, there is a good chance they will still be offering that bullet the next time you need to buy some. Not so, many of their competitors, to wit:

Nosler: solid base, many iterations of ballistic tips,
Speer: hot cores, Mag Tips, deep shocks, deep curls, now hot cores again, redesign of the Grand Slams...
Hornady: dropping many interlocks, AMax?
Barnes: how many iterations have we seen of the x bullet?

The latest and greatest can be good, but it is a two edged sword.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Sierra bullets generally have been accurate for me and usually kill quickly, but often make mess especially with combos like the 180 gameking out of a .300 Win mag and an average mule deer. Shoulder or behind the shoulder, my experience is that high velocity and sierra's equals an exploding bullet. I don't use them anymore. I've seen plenty of shards of copper and lead throughout the body cavity, and the heart is often mush. If you're good with that, then rock on with Sierra's.

I think a lot of the "good" or "bad" experiences concerning these bullets are determined by what one deems as "acceptable" meat damage.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
I think Hornady's recent implementation of AMP jackets in its match bullets within the last few years has helped with consistency.

That, and they got rid of those freaking melting tipped bullets. How can anyone shoot those with any accuracy whatsoever?

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I should add: out of modest velocity rounds like the 30-30 or 30-40 Krag, normal Sierra bullets often do just fine on game, with much less damage.

Speed can be your best friend or worst enemy with Sierra's, depending on what your shot preference is.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Shot a lot of feral pigs with the Sierra 300g HP from my 45-70. Quite soft but devastating and very very accurate.

Shoulder shot a 140kg boar at 80y. Dropped and pumped. No exit.

Same pig as in my avatar.

I would use them again.

Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
663 members (257_X_50, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 257Bob, 12344mag, 1234, 77 invisible), 2,948 guests, and 1,386 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,668
Posts18,399,405
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.