-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I fired the second Ruger pictured in the OP a few weeks ago and it was one of the smoothest, pleasant shooting 44's I've ever fired.

I was impressed by it.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'm not a Ruger fan, but the Redhawk itself is one of their best offerings and this one looks good to me. The .41 caliber version...Well it's up to consumers as to whether or not the caliber is worthwhile.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Who doesn't have at least one pistol or revolver of, should we say, questionable utility? Me? I've got a .500 S&W. It's all about the "big boys, big toys" thing.

Mathew 22: 37-39

R
RJM Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Well....have to kinda agree with Jim...

Being a 4T1Fanatic I bought both when they became available. I had a 5.5" many years ago and always regretted selling it. The 4.25" handles much better than the 5" and has an excellent DA pull.

First six rounds out of the gun at 15 yards DA...

[Linked Image]

This is the tightest standing DA group at 50 yards I have ever shot...the sixth round missed the 6" plate by a 1/2" at 7:00 o'clock.

[Linked Image]

When the gun came out I had wished that Ruger had made it a round butt like the .45 Colt/ACP model...after buying the 2.75" version was very glad Ruger had made it a standard square butt.

I have no complaint with the 2.75" except for one thing...the DA breaks noticeably later than the 4.25" and as a result pinches my trigger finger between the trigger and the triggerguard. If it had the same DA trigger pull as the 4.25" I have no doubt groups would be half of what I can do now.

As to the round but...it isn't shootable except with target level loads with the wood grips. It will hoever accept most of the rubber grips that fit the square butt..

[Linked Image]

Lower group is before moving the sights....

[Linked Image]

This the same load DA from both guns at 10 yards... I shot some 210 Keith SWC with 8.0 grains of Unique after these and the 2.75" shot a better group...so I think I am going to go back to a 1000 fps load vs. the 1300+ these 180s are doing...

[Linked Image]

I've had four of the S&W 657 3" guns and they are wonderful shooters.

[Linked Image]

So the 3" Magnums aren't "useless"...just less than "usefull"....

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
i looked at that ruger, but still can't quite justify it, if it even needs justification, having a 3inch smith which i prefer better anyway.
And i probably wouldn't gain anything in running a hot load in that short a barrel ruger anyway.
having said that justification probably has little to do with it.
what i am kind of liking more and more in the 41 is the 260gr load plus/minus at about 1000fps.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Originally Posted by TC1
Fishing pistol in bear country maybe? I dunno, just a SWAG.

I can sure understand the need or want for a powerful and packable handgun in various parts of the country, but I have to scratch my head as to why a 2 3/4" barrel is better in that category than a 4" barrel. It's not like you're going to conceal it, right?

"Hey, BooBoo, see that fisherman? He looks pretty good to eat."
"I dunno, Yogi, lately a lot of those guys have been carrying concealed .44 Magnums. Better we go raid some pick-a-nick baskets..."

i have fired a lot of stuff through 4inch and 6inch 41's. I have to say i like the balance for some reason on a 3inch. thats on smith's tho. given the original barrel length on a 357magnum when they first cam out, i think some of the same thing is lost on these when you start cutting down the barrel length. It is a tradeoff between packability and what that longer barrel gives you.

Last edited by RoninPhx; 06/22/16.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gitem_12
Originally Posted by GunGeek
Sub 4" magnum revolvers suck, simple as that.

I would think that 3 inch smith would.make a great 44 special
Then you have a special, not a magnum. But yeah, you're right.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When you get sub-4" velocity loss in magnums becomes very big per inch, while recoil and muzzle blast increase proportionately. At some point you reach a point where the whole thing just stops making sense. Each has their preference, but for me it's 4" when we're talking magnum revolver cartridges.

As a defensive revolver, the sub 4" guns make a lot of sense when used with Specials because they handle so well.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
you should have gotten my email by now, enabler.
i have been debating this for some time. but pushed the button tonight.
what does need or justification ever have to do with it?
I'm thinking a 265grain bullet at about 1000fps.
kind of like a smith 696 but six rounds.
I am so easy.
what kind of grips did you put on the 2.75inc?
i have had the 4.2inch version sitting on my desk for a while.
i did reduce the spring weight, and have been cocking and releasing the hammer regularly, kind of like one of those exercise balls for your grip. And the action is getting better and better.
few months ago i picked up an early 3screw blackhawk in 41, still haven't shot it yet. It looks brand new after some restoration on my part, bought at a landmark liquor store in flagstaff, and carried in northern arizona since the 70's. But not shot much from the way it feels.
one can't have too many 41's after all.
i would like a little wider hammer spur gonna have to figure that one out.
i will say one more thing tho, the lockup on the 4.2inch version and a 45colt 4.2version i have is just right on, no wiggle at all.

Last edited by RoninPhx; 06/28/16.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
i keep looking at those german nills grips. expensive but they sure look good on a redhawk.

IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Scott F
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
I have little love and no use for 40+ cal revolvers with barrels shorter than 4", and find 5 to 5 1/2" to be the preferred length.

I agree.

i think you will be eating your words at quemato when i bring a couple of these short barreled guys up. i have a 3inch lew horton in 41 that has been breathed on. You try the trigger and i will have witnesses present.

Last edited by RoninPhx; 06/28/16.

R
RJM Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
...you need some sleep.... sleep

I think your reasoning is about the same as mine...it's a .41 and not many are going to be made...

The rubber grips on mine are Uncle Mike's. Not sure if they are made any more but GUN PARTS CORP. had them a few months ago.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
the camo grips are cool, nice guns!

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
My minimum barrel length is 4" for anything that could be used to take game because that is the minimum legal in Iowa and would believe some other states as well. I find 5-5.5" about perfect and 6-6.5" not bad either. As to cartridge, I believe anything 10MM to a 480 is workable for most hunting situations. I've hunted the X framed magnums. Had fun with them and enjoyed the experience but see the downsides and have that out of my system. I will likely never part with a 454 Raging Bull as it's too accurate to sell, I shoot it well (enough for me), and I will probably never have anyone I would care to give it to, who would want it. wink

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by RJM
...you need some sleep.... sleep

I think your reasoning is about the same as mine...it's a .41 and not many are going to be made...

The rubber grips on mine are Uncle Mike's. Not sure if they are made any more but GUN PARTS CORP. had them a few months ago.

some more depravity-----ordered some 41special brass today too.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If you can carry a 2.5 inch 44, 41, or 45 with no problems then you can carry a four inch just as well. Short barrel big bore handguns suck

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by dave284
What I want is a 5" GP100 44 special. Clements wants $1250.00 for the conversion and that would just be reboring my 4". At that kind of price I might be able to learn to like a Smith.

I spent three days with Ruger earlier this month. I begged for a 5 shot 44 special on the GP100 frame. We'll see....

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
i picked up that .41mag 2.75 inch barrel redhawk. it actually balances pretty well in my hand, and the action is a lot smoother than the 4.2 inch version i got earlier. I am going to like it. One can always load up or down in one of these things.
rjm, have you ran any loads through weight wise from light to heavy?

Last edited by RoninPhx; 06/30/16.

R
RJM Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
I've been shooting the 180 MeHic FPs with 14.0 grains of Blue Dot...going around 1300 fps. I think however I am going to go back to a 210 with 8.0 grains of Unique. The last cylinder full I shot this past session was a 210 Keith with 8.0 and it shot a little softer and more accurate than the lighter bullet.

I have some of the Accurate 41-215V with the .37 meplate that I am going to try next..

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Scott F
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
I have little love and no use for 40+ cal revolvers with barrels shorter than 4", and find 5 to 5 1/2" to be the preferred length.

I agree.

Me 3.

Run across 3" big bore revolvers fairly frequently down here. No interest. Shot em. Hate em. Done.

Like my Dad used to say.. They bought them, and now they want somebody else to pay for them.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

527 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 50 invisible), 2,017 guests, and 1,118 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,724
Posts18,457,350
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.