Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
H
Hookset Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Having IT&D barrel a rifle for me with a stainless Douglas. I was considering treating the barrel with DBC prior to firing.
Yes? Why?
No? Why not?

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Yes. Prep is easier, and I haven't found a down side yet.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Agree.

I DBC my new premium barrels.

To me there is no "break in", just shoot and clean until shooting requires less cleaning.

I have premium DBC treated barrels that just about don't copper foul, they accumulate some carbon ahead of the chamber which cleans up fairly easy.

You get some early copper fouling, but less after the shoot/clean cycle is repeated a few times.

DF

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a new take off barrel (Rem 700). Is the DBC worth while on none premium barrels?

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Yes

IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Bugger
I have a new take off barrel (Rem 700). Is the DBC worth while on none premium barrels?

It probably does them more good than the premiums.

But, you gotta do a real good prep job, taking it down to the raw steel. On a used barrel, the Hawkeye really helps determine when you're there. Just having a few clean patches doesn't really tell you a lot.

DF

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I may have a slightly different take on this than some who have commented so far.

DBC's greatest virtue is reduction of fouling and easing cleaning; a secondary effect is sealing a chrome-moly bore against moisture. If a bore doesn't foul much in the first place there's no real point in installing DBC, especially if it's stainless.

I've owned a number of Douglas barrels made in past couple of decades and can't recall one that was a "fouler," and certainly none that were a problem to clean with today's solvents. They required very little "break-in" to get to that point, whether the old-fashioned shooting until groups started open up, and then clean, or the modern obsessive-compulsive shoot once and then clean.

I have also never seen DBC improve the accuracy of a barrel--except for some that fouled so quickly groups opened up noticeably after a very few rounds. But it has never improved the accuracy of a barrel that shot well and didn't foul much from the get-go.

I like DBC a lot but don't use it unless it seems needed. However, most rifle loonies are obsessive-compulsives, and for them automatically installing DBC in every barrel is probably the ONLY answer to making sure every finicky detail is as perfect as can be.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
DF, I don't have a Hawkeye and I'm cleaning three barrels now. Two 22-250s and a 243 prior to treating with DBC. I've been working on the 22-250s a week. cry I just started on the 243 today. The 22-250s have never had bore cleaner with ammonia since the original owner bought them (70's). I have found Patchout seems to work on the copper better than Montana Copper Killer when allowed to work over night.

Bugger, FYI a factory takeoff barrel has been fired with a proof load so it will need cleaned before treating with DBC.
YMMV

Last edited by Dave_in_WV; 06/21/16.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Dave,

Have you gotten down to "bedrock" yet on those barrels?

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
They got to be clean, but you need to leave some rifling... laugh

DF

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My new take off is a stainless. Bought it from Redhawk.

I suppose a kit is good for a few rifles?

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
My new take off is a stainless. Bought it from Redhawk.

I suppose a kit is good for a few rifles?

Will do several if you're careful with it.

DF

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 06/21/16.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
However, most rifle loonies are obsessive-compulsives, and for them automatically installing DBC in every barrel is probably the ONLY answer to making sure every finicky detail is as perfect as can be.

laugh

Yep... smile

You got it... blush

DF

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Does Dyna Bore coat work on titanium and aluminum? Cleaning 22 rimfire suppressors can be a chore. I've "lubed" them to keep fouling soft - a lot like black powder bores - but this works for limited shots. Something that prevents adherance of the combustion products to the metal (especially Al) ..... just thinking smile.

Take a kid hunting!!! Old member name - Reloader - joined 2001
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

might even help a douglas come closer to being a premium barrel

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
However, most rifle loonies are obsessive-compulsives, and for them automatically installing DBC in every barrel is probably the ONLY answer to making sure every finicky detail is as perfect as can be.

laugh

Yep... smile

You got it... blush

DF

+1

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Dave,

John, I thought I was getting there but yesterday when I punched the bores with alcohol I got more blue patches. I'm letting them soak over night and have been. I used Patchout the day before instead of Copper Killer. The Patchout is getting more copper out. Just some light blue now on the patches. I'll keep doing it until I get two soaks without any sign of copper. Thanks for your help.
Dave

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular

Lol, he shoots....he scores!

We deal in lead, friend.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by RelodR
Does Dyna Bore coat work on titanium and aluminum? Cleaning 22 rimfire suppressors can be a chore. I've "lubed" them to keep fouling soft - a lot like black powder bores - but this works for limited shots. Something that prevents adherance of the combustion products to the metal (especially Al) ..... just thinking smile.

As I understand the material, it requires pressure/ friction to cure. It is a ceramic powder in a suspension, you apply it, allow it to dry, fire the recommended 5-10 bullets, and clean. The initial cleaning makes one think they screwed up as it seems more fouled than before the application, but upon further firings and cleanings, if done correctly, cleans up easy. The first after-curing shots show like a black powder barrel! So I suspect DBC will do nothing unless your projectiles contact and create friction on your suppressors....lol

And yes, one bottle will do half a dozen, or more, if you aren't sloppy. I place a ziplock bag over the mop between the 3 applications, so the mop doesn't dry out and retains the wet solution.

And I am a loon by John's definition above, but my cooper 20VT is my only good quality barrel, besides the CZ's barrels.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Thanks for the info on how it works - my quest for easier cleaning continues smile.

Take a kid hunting!!! Old member name - Reloader - joined 2001
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
You could coat the suppressor in DGS instead of DBC, which also leaves a slick surface.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
A sister product, Dyna Tek Gun Shield, works great, too.

I have a bead blasted SS barrel that seemed to show every smudge, etc. until I did the three coating treatment with Gun Shield. It's now feels super slick and isn't affected by much.

I'm wondering if treating a rifle bolt with Gun Shield would make the action feel slicker. Anyone tried that?

DF

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Yeah, it does make a difference. Some bolts get slicker than others after treatment.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Dave_in_WV
Dave,

John, I thought I was getting there but yesterday when I punched the bores with alcohol I got more blue patches. I'm letting them soak over night and have been. I used Patchout the day before instead of Copper Killer. The Patchout is getting more copper out. Just some light blue now on the patches. I'll keep doing it until I get two soaks without any sign of copper. Thanks for your help.
Dave

Ha! I had a similar situation with my Model 70 270 WSM. It was a fouling bitch until I did a DBC job on it, and it took me 2 days to get down to "bedrock". I didn't do any long soaks, maybe I should have.

Anyway, it was worth the elbow grease. That rifle was always a tack-driver, but now it does it for longer. Much longer.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I polish my rifle bolts with Wheeler grinding compound (or something similar) or at least have on some of my favorites. I also lap the lugs. I'm pretty sure I have not polished the lugs enough that a no-go would chamber. I have done this at the same time until the lugs look like they are sharing the thrust.
This DBC 'sounds anyhow' like it would shorten the work on smoothing the bolt "action". Obviously though would not help on the lug lapping.

Yes the manufacturer I'm most familiar with shot every rifle first with testing with a high pressure 'proof' round and then tested them for grouping ability. If either failed they were scrapped. Although I never saw one actually scrapped due to failure to handle the high pressure "proof" load.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
It's gotta be CLEAN...

DF

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

613 members (06hunter59, 160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 55 invisible), 2,981 guests, and 1,253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,347
Posts18,468,810
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.