Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
AlC Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
Want to learn to use a sling for shooting from standing, kneeling and sitting positions. Would like to hear from those who have used slings as to which you have found to work best. Any and all input appreciated.

BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Might try a 1" Montana sling, best there is!!

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I use my scope tubes as handles. Slings don't stay on my shoulders.

Throttle fixes everything. If it doesn't fix the problem, it’ll end the suspense.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
A cheap cotton Garand sling is what is used in the Appleseed shoots. You will actually see them on the line at Camp Perry. Sign up for an Appleseed shoot near you if you want to learn position shooting.

I use Turner Saddlery M1907 type leather and all weather slings on my match guns.

Montana slings are great carry straps and I own several. They are not shooting slings.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Browning X-Cellerator slings go on all my rifles and shotguns. They are the most useful sling that I've tried.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A simple rifle strap, like Remington used to sell on the 700 BDL. I HATE cobra style slings for carry, shooting, or any other purpose. Totally useless.

"I didn't realize we had so many snipers in this country." by J23
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Oregonmuley

+100

All I use. I've got one on every rifle I own. Very quick to use and extremely solid.

http://www.montanagunslings.com/

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Brownell Latigo.

I agree with Michigan Scott.

A shooting sling is not just a carrying strap.

Last edited by BobinNH; 06/22/16.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I've used them all over the years. I shot my first buck in 1960 using a classic military sling with my arm wrapped around it from standing.
After reading Jeff Cooper's comments about the CW Sling, I had a couple of rifles made to accomondate them. They are much faster than the classic military sling. But they aren't as easy to use for rifle carry as the military design.
Currently I'm using two different Ching Slings. One is the Safari design which uses only two studs. The other is the original design which requires a third stud just ahead of the floorplate. Both work quite well.
Cooper's testing found that from kneeling or sitting, a good, properly adjusted shooting sling will cut group sizes by at least 30%. What I'd add is that when out of breath, a shooting sling will allow me to hit stuff that I'd have very little chance of hitting w/o it. E

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Michigan Scott was on target telling you the canvas Garand sling. It works well and is cheap. After you learn how to shoot with it, then you will know what you do and don't like if you shop for a more expensive one. I use them on my bolt guns at the range, and carry one in my pack while hunting. What I like about them is the loop around you upper arm doesn't change size by the keeper slipping. What I don't like is the lack of quickly repeatable adjustments.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Dick Murray of Murray Leather makes a 1" sling with Tallon hardware that's top shelf

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Brownell Latigo.

I agree with Michigan Scott.

A shooting sling is not just a carrying strap.

This...

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
1 1/4" M1 Garand/M14 cotton rifle sling. I remove the metal clip and use good quality swivels. It's durable, light, grips well and is easily adjustable.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
My rifles carry a Cabela's "Safari' sling. It is, if you like, a combat or "hip carry". I like being able to let go the rifle, not having to set the rifle down to glass, and it still being safe, etc. More comfortable and easier to carry than a shoulder sling, especially with a pack.

It can be made to work as a shooting sling, but there are better ones for that function. I've practiced, but only used it as such once. Mostly, I never need a shooting sling, so it works for me, so I am no connoisseur of shooting slings. My 2 cents.

And yes- I have used the old military style in leather- still have 2 - very effective on a goat hunt once, about 40 years ago.

Damn - I've gotten old!

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Uncle Mike's mountain sling on my rifle of the day....

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS!^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

PM Scenarshooter here on the 'fire, they even done a bit of custom work for me, you see, I have this old pre-64 super-grade in 300 H&H, the original leather sling was getting very untrustworthy and NO ONE wants to drop their rifle.

I sent my sling swivels up to Scenarshooter, he sewed a nice new Montana sling around one swivel and tied their famous dog-knot? around the other swivel and mailed it all right back to me.

I couldn't be more pleased, and that rifle ain't gonna be dropped due to a faulty sling at anytime I may have left in my hunting career.smile

Trump Won!
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Lots of people are happy with the Montana, but it also sounds like it's not a true shooting sling, which is what the shooter is looking for.

The Whelen sling is a true shooting sling and I'm fine with it - easy to set up and to use.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Guessing there's more to it than I've ever seen. Any recommended tutorials for shooting with slings?

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
A well used 1" Whelen sling by Hunter.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
1907 style sling by Turner or a Ching sling and a Rhodesian by Andy Langlois. A rifle sling first task is to aid hits.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Montana sling, Latigo and Hunter #200 are all good in my book.

Eric

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E

+1

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Originally Posted by 3584ELK
A simple rifle strap, like Remington used to sell on the 700 BDL. I HATE cobra style slings for carry, shooting, or any other purpose. Totally useless.

For weight, the old Remington carrying straps can't be beat. I've used them as a "hasty sling" many times. I don't remember the company but I found a close copy when I searched "Remington sling" on Fleabay.

I like the 1" Montana too but it's a teeny bit heavier and a little stiffer.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Another vote for the Brownells Latigo......good carry sling and it sets up quickly as a shooting sling.

You can fool all the people some of the time and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Super Sling, they work great and are not expensive.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Uncle Mike's Mountain Sling.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
159 members (35, 160user, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 2UP, 300_savage, 16 invisible), 1,851 guests, and 846 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,783
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.