Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Canazes9
Originally Posted by wesheltonj
It was TPWD that allowed Deer Breeding in the first place. And now some Breeders are upset because TPWD wants to regulate the business to keep CDW from spreading to the native population, tuff. Their is no guarantee of a profit when you are in business. In fact most business fail, these folks know the risks.

Yes, but TPWD is now changing the rules of the game years after many of these people invested their personal stakes in the business. When government regulation wipes out a thriving business with a stroke of a pen people are going to get upset, because their livelihoods are being damaged.

Again, I 100% think this should NEVER have been allowed to come to this point, and I think the entire practice should be illegal, not just more carefully regulated. But you can't blame the people that followed a legal business opportunity. This is a TPWD created problem.

David

Could not agree more.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
A testing program is not out of order at all. It is done on cattle on a regular basis.

My personal opinion is it all started with high fences. No way to undo that one now.

I miss the good old days when I had open invitations to multiple ranches. And when we had so much venison backstrap it was OK to chicken fry one occasionally.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Governments changing rules mid stream and costing investors fortunes is nothing new,and has given us at least a couple of major real estate recessions where people were invested and lost it all.

I'm sure there are lots of other examples from the securities industry to gas and oil development and exploration and on and on it goes.

It's what governments "do".

Nothing to see here...move along. smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Tejano
...we had so much venison backstrap it was OK to chicken fry one occasionally.

Lol, I'm all for that.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by Tejano
...we had so much venison backstrap it was OK to chicken fry one occasionally.

Lol, I'm all for that.

Can't bread em before you fry em in Missouri though grin

Originally Posted by tedthorn
Missouri is currently in legal talks to ban the import, export, selling and breading of deer.

I know he meant breeding but I had to give Ted a hard time.

Last edited by huntsonora; 06/23/16.
IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
The flip side to this, TPW allowed it, and then found out that there was all of a sudden, this huge issue that could really create problems.

So they did what they had to do.

No one can forecast what regs change.

Hell no one feels sorry for the fact they sell milk in the stores these days and the milkman is unemployed.

Its life. Nothing fair about it.

I'm glad at least TPW had the balls to stand up and say, oops, we can't allow this anymore, you had your day, now you'll have to test or not do at all...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I recall hearing of one rancher who bought one of those "super bucks" - genetic freak with huge antlers - near Sonora, Tx. He doubtless thought he could charge big bucks to hunt. He turned it loose and found it dead, gored to death three weeks later. It had no clue how to survive, even on a high fenced ranch.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
It was TPWD that allowed Deer Breeding in the first place. And now some Breeders are upset because TPWD wants to regulate the business to keep CDW from spreading to the native population, tuff. Their is no guarantee of a profit when you are in business. In fact most business fail, these folks know the risks.

Yes, but TPWD is now changing the rules of the game years after many of these people invested their personal stakes in the business. When government regulation wipes out a thriving business with a stroke of a pen people are going to get upset, because their livelihoods are being damaged.

Again, I 100% think this should NEVER have been allowed to come to this point, and I think the entire practice should be illegal, not just more carefully regulated. But you can't blame the people that followed a legal business opportunity. This is a TPWD created problem.

David

I don't know any business where the rules stay static. The owners of theses breading facilities can always "hunt" off their stock on their own property to reduce their loses and leave the business, if they think they can't make a profit. I know that sounds harsh, but TPWD first priority is to protect native stock, not the profits of famers.

Last edited by wesheltonj; 06/23/16.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
These elitist thought we'll breed up these 200class deer and sell them for a fortune. Mother Nature took a hit for a while but it looks like the Murphy bus has come back
around. These guys were for the most part are rich snobs that got their way for a few years but when you start messing w/football and deer hunting in Texas...you've stepped in it. TPWD knows which side it's bread is buttered on and it ain't supporting some rich fat cats that want to play by a different set of rules and get by w/it. We've got probably 1.2 million hunters and a deer herd of 4 million deer. That's a lot of money to go to bed w/the wrong fellas. powdr

Last edited by powdr; 06/23/16.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Half a million deer in Texas?

IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

David

I don't know any business where the rules stay static. The owners of theses breading facilities can always "hunt" off their stock on their own property to reduce their loses and leave the business, if they think they can't make a profit. I know that sounds harsh, but TPWD first priority is to protect native stock, not the profits of famers.

Most of the bigger outfits will probably be able to comply with this level of regulation. This is going to hit the smaller operators hard. Again, I think the whole practice should be illegal and should never have been allowed in the first place. I'm not in favor of reversing the decision to favor the breeders. I just don't think the breeders are the villains here.

TPWD created this situation, then have subsequently reversed course changing the rules mid-stream. If I had just invested my life savings into one of these little breeder outfits with the eye that one day it might at least partially fund my retirement, I would have been pissed with the new regulations also.

This isn't a loophole that some exploited, that TPWD is trying to tighten up on - TPWD had the opportunity to rule against this BS in the beginning and they allowed it. Now they are beginning to realize this can't continue. Ultimately, I don't think the new rules will be sufficient and ultimately the entire deer breeding farm concept will have to be eliminated.

I can't help but feel sorry for the small entrepreneurs that will be driven out of business because of an initial failure on TPWD's part that they are now being forced to correct.

David

mudhen Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by smokepole
Half a million deer in Texas?
3.95 million in 2014, and will probably be in well in excess of 4 million by the opener this fall.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Ben, that's my fault. I meant that we kill half a million deer in Texas each year. The herd stays somewhere around 3.75-4 million animals annually. powdr

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Thanks for the clarifications. That's a lot of breaded backstraps.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

David

Most of the bigger outfits will probably be able to comply with this level of regulation. This is going to hit the smaller operators hard. Again, I think the whole practice should be illegal and should never have been allowed in the first place. I'm not in favor of reversing the decision to favor the breeders. I just don't think the breeders are the villains here.

TPWD created this situation, then have subsequently reversed course changing the rules mid-stream. If I had just invested my life savings into one of these little breeder outfits with the eye that one day it might at least partially fund my retirement, I would have been pissed with the new regulations also.

This isn't a loophole that some exploited, that TPWD is trying to tighten up on - TPWD had the opportunity to rule against this BS in the beginning and they allowed it. Now they are beginning to realize this can't continue. Ultimately, I don't think the new rules will be sufficient and ultimately the entire deer breeding farm concept will have to be eliminated.

I can't help but feel sorry for the small entrepreneurs that will be driven out of business because of an initial failure on TPWD's part that they are now being forced to correct.

David

So one should risk the up to 5 million wild deer population here? Because some folks don't want to test and make less income vs none at all?

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I'm pretty sure that's not what he's saying:

Again, I think the whole practice should be illegal and should never have been allowed in the first place. I'm not in favor of reversing the decision to favor the breeders. I just don't think the breeders are the villains here.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by rost495

David

David

So one should risk the up to 5 million wild deer population here? Because some folks don't want to test and make less income vs none at all?

Really?

Why do you respond to posts you don't bother reading?

David

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i'd be afraid to even eat one those pumped up whitetails.you may grow a 2ft prong.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by savage62
There should not be Deer farm ,deer breeders ,deer pin up . Their wild not a farmer thing . the deer are feed pellets made from deer by products so they are fed deer with sickness an CWD TB an what ever sickness out there

Reminds me of the English and their (mad) cattle.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
It's just a big money grab at the expense of the regular hunter. powdr

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

655 members (12344mag, 1234, 007FJ, 1eyedmule, 10ring1, 160user, 64 invisible), 2,898 guests, and 1,292 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,576
Posts18,453,975
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.