Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
I'm lost. [img:center][Linked Image][/img] [img:center][Linked Image][/img] [img:center][Linked Image][/img] [img:center][Linked Image][/img]

Last edited by sqweeler; 06/22/16.
BP-B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
gnoahhh has stamps? grin

LOL
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
OK, I'll bite. Are we examining the difference between the deep blued receiver and the the completely grey forearm ring?

I'd say the receiver has been reblued, and the forearm ring was left undone...because they were lazy, or it was a forgotten half-finished project and the gunsmith passed away?? who knows.

We've seen plenty of takedowns where the forearm ring has gone grey before the receiver, but that receiver looks a bit too blue and the ring looks too grey for them to go together.

Or are we talking about the rocky mt sights on a takedown rifle?

Last edited by JeffG; 06/22/16.

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That stamp didn't come out until the mid-1920's and it wasn't applied to the side of the receiver ring until the late 1940's. Bubba did a fine job of stamping that one. Wonder where he got the stamp? Maybe he was ingenious enough to make his own stamp?
The collar on the takedown forearm was probably made of milder steel than the receiver and didn't hold the blue as well. I've seen a lot of unmolested TD's with the blue faded more on the collar than on the receiver.
Whoever reblued the rifle probably didn't bother to take the collar off and get it reblued along with the barrel and receiver. David

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
As far as I'm concerned it has a prewar or immediate postwar receiver. I say that because the back of the scallop underneath the Savage name terminates in a radius and not in a v-shape like every other postwar receiver I've seen. The blue looks pretty spot on to me too. For the forearm ring, I'm fine with the blue aging differently than it would on the steel used for the receiver. But, the front sight and receiver do not coincide with the offset Savage marking. Is it a bastard of parts??? Is it something that was sent back to the factory for a major overhaul??? ???...

Last edited by S99VG; 06/22/16.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
It's one to think about. If it's a pre or early post war receiver, how did it get a pre 1920 serial number? Unless you mean pre WWI, but then where did the offset stamping come from? Joe.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Four 300sav's came into a friends shop.Two 50's EG's not worth looking at(sling stud's etc.),an honest G and this "thing".I saw the serial number and Savage99 stamp and said.... what!

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Another surprise...it's a 303.Stock doesn't look right either. [img:center][Linked Image][/img]

RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a gun like this one, meaning a head scratcher, and it letters out as having been redone at the factory, twice, with the final customer being a named Savage employee. It started out as a 22 hp 1899h and ended up being a 99g in 30-30. The rifle is gorgeous.

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I cast my vote for a 99 that had been sent back to the factory once, maybe more. What the heck, the odds of finding something like that can't be all that bad.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sqweeler:
1) are all the parts Serialed to the receiver?
2) what butt plate does it have?
3) 26" or 22" brl?
4) what caliber?
5) is the rifle still a TD?

The part that does not make since is the logo on the side of the receiver. It was not located there till the R came out in 1950. When it was added to the top of the receiver of early rifles it's believed to be because the receiver needed heat treating. It appears to have the original brl so no heat treat needed.

The only TD brl with a dovetailed front sight in that serial range was the "A TD" or "Short Rifle-TD".

If I had sent it to the fcatory for rework in the 50's and it came back looking like that I would be pissed...unless it was bad shape to start with.

Looks redone to me. The forearm ring didn't hold blue well but this one seems to have more difference than usual.

PS...just caught up on the above postings. The serial number is pre-.300 Savage. So if it is a .300 now it might have been returned to the factory after 1949 for heat treat so that the owner could re-chamber the original brl (factory stated in print that they would not re-chamber a brl. only replace).

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just noticed the butt stock. I think it was replaced with a modified pistol grip stock. Is the butt plate a later style?

Rick...

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
I'll get more specific's tomorrow(bbl length,buttplate).An interesting Frankenstein.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I love these puzzles. Thanks for posting.

Rick...

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
My guess is it's a Lunchbox Special. An employee during the 40's-50's scrounged a bunch of old parts in the warehouse/attic/cellar and created a work of art, reminiscent of the stuff the factory was turning out when he started working there. Number not in keeping with the receiver ring stamp and configuration of the receiver? Pick a number out of thin air and get your buddy in final inspection to stamp it on for you.

Without solid provenance, that wild guess is as good as any other.

At the factories I worked in back in the 70's-80's, we called them "Government Jobs"- when guys threw stuff together for themselves, or completed hobby jobs on the company's time. I would be really surprised to learn none of that ever happened at Savage.

At K-D Tools when I supervised the torque wrench assembly department, my guys dog-robbed the parts bins and made wrenches for themselves. You would see Snap-On heads attached to Craftsman barrels with Blue Point handles. (We made torque wrenches for a bunch of different companies.) Buddies of mine who worked at the Harley-Davidson plant (the engines were built there in York, PA) showed up with all kinds of bastard parts on their bikes. It's what guys did when no one was watching- for money, devilry, or sheer boredom.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm with Rick, I think the receiver went back to the factory in the 50's (60's maybe?). That explains the stamp. Rest of it I think is explained by swapped stock.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Looks great and its fun doing the puzzle. Are you going to buy it mate?

Johno

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yup, I'm thinking like you on this one. Parts gun. Only my thought is parts found after they left the factory.

Go tell the Spartans,Travelers passing by,That here,Obedient to their laws we lie.

I'm older now but I'm still runnin' against the wind

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Calhoun
I'm with Rick, I think the receiver went back to the factory in the 50's (60's maybe?). That explains the stamp. Rest of it I think is explained by swapped stock.

Makes sense, too. But what became of the original "1899" stamp on top of the receiver in that event? (Is it still there perchance, or evidence of its removal?)

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Both the SN and receiver ring stamp look factory to me.

Gotta think it was done at the factory in any case. Maybe a lunchbox gun or a gun returned for rework and Savage scrapped the receiver and replaced it as part of a caliber change?

Or...

I am no longer accepting orders for the Lightfoot scope mount.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
707 members (117LBS, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 74 invisible), 2,687 guests, and 1,304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,683
Posts18,399,735
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.