Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
John:

Just a quick note to say how much I enjoyed your article on the 80th birthday of the Model 70. But I must say, you're going to stir a hornet's nest here on the 'Fire by insinuating that the current iteration is (perhaps) the best one yet.

RM

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I've been saying that for years. He got it from me..... whistle

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
What issue? The current SA site doesn't show anything.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

A friend of mine just gave me a copy of Sports Afield. I hadn't seen a copy in a long time. They have certainly done a nice job with the publication and although I may never go to Africa, I might subscribe just because I didn't see a single Glock or AR platform in the whole magazine...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
What issue? The current SA site doesn't show anything.

July/August, page 18.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
IC B2

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by ingwe

Yeah, but he also said he likes the MOA trigger, so that's gonna leave a mark. grin

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by shrapnel

A friend of mine just gave me a copy of Sports Afield. I hadn't seen a copy in a long time. They have certainly done a nice job with the publication and although I may never go to Africa, I might subscribe just because I didn't see a single Glock or AR platform in the whole magazine...

Which is exactly why I'm letting a few subscriptions expire.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by RevMike

Yeah, but he also said he likes the MOA trigger, so that's gonna leave a mark. grin

You know, I didn't think the MOA trigger sucked. The glue on the adjustments screws was a bitch to get off, but once it was gone....a little tweaking....and the trigger didn't suck.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
You know, I didn't think the MOA trigger sucked. The glue on the adjustments screws was a bitch to get off, but once it was gone....a little tweaking....and the trigger didn't suck.

Yeah, I had to pick that stuff out with a hot, tiny crochet needle. What a pain. But once it was out I put an Ernie spring in, backed the screw out, used clear nail polish to hold it in place, and it now breaks at just under 3 pounds. I can live with that.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
As noted in the article, the latest M70 instructions that come with every rifle actually describe how to adjust the triggers--but I haven''t adjusted mine, because they came from the factory with very clean 3-1/2 pound pulls, just as advertised.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I also believe that current Model 70s are as good as any made in the past. I have a new 7mm-08 and a 308 that shoot less than moa,feed and function perfectly,and had 3.5 pound triggers right from the factory.

If there is anything wrong with either of them,I don't know what it is.

I prefer the design of the old trigger,but the new one is a good trigger as far as I can tell. If somebody made an old style trigger to fit the new action,I know they would sell,but I don't think I'd spend the time or the money to change mine.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yeah, it would be nice for some purposes to be able to drop in an old-style trigger. I was kind of hoping Alaska Arms would introduce something similar to their M70-style trigger for 98 Mausers, but also doubt I'd change the triggers on my pair of new M70's.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
S
M.D. what are your new M70 chambered in? And how do they shoot?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I've owned 4 of the new ones and played with a 5th. None of the triggers needed to be touched and I found the rifles all to be accurate and require less fiddling than the NH models in general.

One 300 WSM EW has to have been among the most accurate out of the box rifles I have ever owned.

But I don't own any of them anymore likely because I didn't need any of them and deep in my heart a M70 has to have a M70 trigger.

But I'm a curmudgeon and still like 4X scopes,too. smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
super T,

One is a Jack O'Connor Commemorative in, of course, .270 Winchester, and the other is a .300 WSM.

John Steinbeck
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Ah, the Model 70 is just a passing fad that will never catch on. I'm waiting for them to come to their senses and revive the Model 54. whistle smile

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bob,

I have the two new M70s from Belgium and have three of the South Carolina guns. Had no problems with the South Carolina guns either.

I do agree with you that many of the latter New Haven guns were a project in a box. They all needed trigger work. Many needed to have work with bedding or other accuracy issues.

The pre64 guns featured great metal work but the stocks are nothing special,they were set up for iron sights mostly.

The new ones are as good as any IMHO.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
gnoahhh,

Yeah, I really miss the trigger and, especially, floorplate on the 54!

John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
super T,

One is a Jack O'Connor Commemorative in, of course, .270 Winchester, and the other is a .300 WSM.

Do you have Fixed 4 power scopes on both? smile!

Molan Labe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a coupe of the new ones (classic) and a few pre - 64's. In 1964 a cousin brought a brand new model 94 over. She couldn't sight it in. It shot a little over a pie plate size group at 100 yards. We (brother came out when I expressed my frustration) centered the pattern the best we could. I thought that the only Winchester I would own would be the older ones. The term pre-64 was a term I hadn't heard but it meant what I was thinking. The only good Winchesters were already made.

Now, I think the new 70's are better than many of the early 60's models and in fact are as good as any produced. But I won't be selling my early ones either. I still like my Remingtons, but don't care much for the other major manufacturer's made in the USA rifles.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

635 members (06hunter59, 1eyedmule, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1936M71, 66 invisible), 3,279 guests, and 1,229 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,590
Posts18,454,293
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.