24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Fieldgrade got the gray matter going after posting about the red beans and rice he'd made the other day. I've recently found a good source of jumbo shrimp and smoked sausage.

Hadn't made this in a while. Boy howdy, did it turn out good. Glad I doubled the recipe. May have to do a little sharing is caring. :biggrin:

Finished product
[Linked Image]

Adorned
[Linked Image]

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
GB2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
For another layer of flavor saute the sausage slices in a skillet until you get a good layer of brown fond, pull the sausage, then add some chopped onions, celery, and bell peppers to the skillet and saute them so the moisture they release, and you stirring them around, raises the fond. Then dump the skillet contents into the red beans for cooking.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Looks good. Wash it down with an ice cold Hamm's and you sure good to go. I did just such with a nice bowl of shrimp and linguica gumbo just a few hours ago. Killer.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by EdM
Looks good. Wash it down with an ice cold Hamm's and you sure good to go. I did just such with a nice bowl of shrimp and linguica gumbo just a few hours ago. Killer.

I see what you did there. grin

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
looking forward to trying some of that today Greg. I'll wash it down with a big bourbon and coke though. smile

Sam......

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by mathman
For another layer of flavor saute the sausage slices in a skillet until you get a good layer of brown fond, pull the sausage, then add some chopped onions, celery, and bell peppers to the skillet and saute them so the moisture they release, and you stirring them around, raises the fond. Then dump the skillet contents into the red beans for cooking.

Reversed that. Sauteed vegetables first, then the sausage and shrimp in the same pan. Worked great. Less fat remaining in finished product.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by EdM

Ed, that sounds great, too!

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
grin

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by local_dirt

Reversed that. Sauteed vegetables first, then the sausage and shrimp in the same pan. Worked great. Less fat remaining in finished product.

I couldn't tell from the pic if the sausage had been browned very much.

Typically I remove most of the fat from the skillet before I saute the vegetables. I should have said so.

By heavily browning the sausage first and then using the vegetables to raise the fond as they saute I've been able to achieve a richer flavor than otherwise.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

That's how I did mine....and not because I'm so smart but because the recipe told me to....
I used twice the amount called for though....I do the same thing with Gumbo....I loves me me some "Holy Trinity".....least I think that's what Cajuns call it.... grin

LD.....I've got friends coming in a couple of days and then I'm going fishing over the 4th but you can bet I'll be making a batch with Shrimp when I get back....I'll post pix but I'm sure it won't look as good as yours does....

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
FG, I'm sure yours will be great. You've already got a practice run under your belt. grin

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
195 members (257 roberts, 12344mag, 257robertsimp, 160user, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 19 invisible), 1,844 guests, and 873 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,787
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.