Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Here's a recovered .375 Barnes TSX bullet from a bull Nilgai, shot at just under 200 yards.

Hit behind the shoulder, bullet recovered from under the far side hide. Not a lot of critters will stop a .375 Ruger shooting Barnes bullets!

[Linked Image]

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
BP-B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Last big bull I walked up on I was on my way to the quail killin' fields back in January. He was a big un! I ease my way back to the cabin and got my 9.3x62 and came back. Tracked him to the neighbors fence.
Let's see,,,, boys that have shot em on the place have used 30/06 with 180 Partition, .338 win mag with Fed blue box ammo, and .458's and I cannot remember the bullet. We general ambush or still hunt known trails.

I knew the old game warden there in Rivera (now deceased) fav was a Ruger #1 in 220 Swift. Actually I believe he lived in Sarita. I miss him. Heck of a fellow!

An interesting story, While I was still at the gun shop spoke with one of the locals who mentioned a cousin heard a hell of a commotion in his carport/garage on the outskirts of Rivera and found two Bulls going at it as Mudhen mentioned. Evidently they had fought their way across the yard and ended up in the garage. He slew em both with a 30/06 if I remember correctly.

If they were already in the garage, it would be fairly easy to get the steaks to the freezer! laugh

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by TexasPhotog
If they were already in the garage, it would be fairly easy to get the steaks to the freezer! laugh

Thinking the same thing, myself... laugh

DF

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Ingwe can borrow one of my .270's.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by TexasPhotog

Thinking the same thing, myself... laugh

DF

I would have definitely considered it a good hunt!!! wink

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Re picture of hide... I"ve mounted a fair amount of them. The "hide" gets even thicker than on the one pictured.

I'd have no issues witha 223, but its going to be a head shot....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
One thing I suspect, after seeing quite a few on the ground, is that smaller-diameter bullets of the "petal" type (whether the Combined Technology Fail Safe, Barnes X, Nosler E-Tip or Hornady GMX) penetrate the off-side hide somewhat better, because the mushroom isn't nearly as as large. As an example, on my last nilgai hunt a couple years ago saw the .30 caliber 150 Hornady GMX completely penetrate one big bull broadside, leaving a nice blood trail--which really wasn't needed. Also saw the same thing with more than one .270 Fail Safe during a hunt a number years ago, when a dozen bulls were taken with .270 WSM's.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Hard cast bullets in the 444 Marlin seem to do the trick: South Texas Nilgai Hunt

Copy and paste below of the last paragraph of the story linked. There are some pics with the original post on the shootersforum.

Our stalk across the open to get within shooting range of this bull took two and a half hours. When Greg and I reached 115 yards there was not one stick or blade of grass between us and the animal. When the animal looked away, I rose to a braced sitting position and shot the animal through both front shoulders. I heard and saw the Lee TLC432-285-RF impact the bull and it immediately fell. Just as quick, it was back up and thundering towards the nearest brush with two busted shoulders. Greg rose and fired twice with the 375 H&H, I wasn't sure if he was hitting it as it was falling each time its front hoofs hit the ground but quickly rebounding. I rose, and shot right at its anus and hit it a few inches above in the spine. The whack the bullet made echoed across the plain as the animal fell dead. The two cast bullets from my 444T were the only two that connected. I was pleased.

KMS Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by DocRocket
Nilgai is not some magical mystery species that requires uber-powerful rifles. They fall to good shot placement with decent bullets from ant reasonable "elk caliber".

Exactly! I killed a young bull with a .270 to the neck. DRT!

Kelly
KMS Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BRISTECD
Well, since I live here and have shot a bunch, I guess I can weigh in. I have killed big bulls with a 7x57 using 160 A-frames and 140 Trophy Bonded bullets from a .280. We generally recommend a 30-06 and ALWAYS recommend premium bullets like Partitions, A-frames, or Trophy Bonded no matter what cartridge.

Running head shot with a 25-06. No sweat! whistle

Kelly
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
wait a minute...

...oh darn there is a .375 Whitworth here...

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by KMS
Originally Posted by BRISTECD
Well, since I live here and have shot a bunch, I guess I can weigh in. I have killed big bulls with a 7x57 using 160 A-frames and 140 Trophy Bonded bullets from a .280. We generally recommend a 30-06 and ALWAYS recommend premium bullets like Partitions, A-frames, or Trophy Bonded no matter what cartridge.

Running head shot with a 25-06. No sweat! whistle

Yeah, probably running in waist deep mud. 'Course your hunting partner can take care of that by flapping his arms, yelling and jumping around, to keep you from shooting another! LOL

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
One thing I suspect, after seeing quite a few on the ground, is that smaller-diameter bullets of the "petal" type (whether the Combined Technology Fail Safe, Barnes X, Nosler E-Tip or Hornady GMX) penetrate the off-side hide somewhat better, because the mushroom isn't nearly as as large. As an example, on my last nilgai hunt a couple years ago saw the .30 caliber 150 Hornady GMX completely penetrate one big bull broadside, leaving a nice blood trail--which really wasn't needed. Also saw the same thing with more than one .270 Fail Safe during a hunt a number years ago, when a dozen bulls were taken with .270 WSM's.

Nilgai are exactly what proved to me that the Barnes was head and shoulders above anything else in overall all types of performance, and I saw a fair amount shot pre and post barnes.

Its why i trust them for anything.

Not that other stuff doesn't work....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Yeah those 444's sure smack like a BFH.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
How is the hunt plan going? I would like to take part if the timing is right.

Richard

NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
just got back to this thread. if doing a hunt down to the land cut around the jan or first part of feb the temps are not that bad. hunting there is by boat 40 mile run from flour bluff. have to carry plenty of ice and water plus spare gas. i can borrow one boat that can carry 3-4 depending on how much gear is loaded, my boat would be good for me plus one and gear. the cabin i had been using down there is gone, burned up by wetbacks/smugglers, but my buddy is building another. if in jan can also hunt deer and ducks plus fish. but like doc posted if we kill one on kartada its a long walk across the mudflats, that island is the only one that can legally be hunted on the weat side of the cut. the other islands on the east side(padre island)the boat can be pulled right to them.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I wasn't quite ready to buy a boat, but....

Yeah I'm interested. May need another freezer, though smile

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
392 members (1lesfox, 300jimmy, 160user, 257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 40 invisible), 2,062 guests, and 905 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,594
Posts18,398,004
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.