Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Rost, Thanks, regrettably I didn't have time to paper tune, will have to do that soon, a butcher bud up in Poteau has a paper rack set up in front of a target, haven't ever used it, but have seen it over in the corner of his shop.

Trump Won!
GB1

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by AH64guy
For a 125 grain head, per Carbon Express, you are in the correct spine.

However, reading on the Easton arrow chart, which covers 145 grain points, it looks like you need to increase the spine a bit.

Damn, what are they recommending AH64, 300's?

IIRC CE's numbers are stiffer as they lower.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Thanks for the e0mail and vids 4ager, damn that dudes good, a lot has to be said for flexibility/limberness when archery shooting I have to believe.

I studied Clay's form while drawing and firing his bows, that guy is as limber as a martial artist.

Trump Won!
A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by gunner500
Originally Posted by AH64guy
For a 125 grain head, per Carbon Express, you are in the correct spine.

However, reading on the Easton arrow chart, which covers 145 grain points, it looks like you need to increase the spine a bit.

Damn, what are they recommending AH64, 300's?

IIRC CE's numbers are stiffer as they lower.

Nope - other direction. Your number would be 450s, I have some listed on E-bay that I'd give you, but they are cut to 29 inches, and have vanes on them.

I had an 80 pound Monster 6 when an assignment to Germany was brewing, and expecting to get an Africa trip or two in while stationed in Europe.

Last edited by AH64guy; 06/23/16.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Thanks for the offer, I'll look into some 450's, you think I'm getting to much 'arrow whip?' being under spined?

Trump Won!
IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I sure hope I get time to watch those videos!!! I suspect they are really good.

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I watched em and they are good, I'm gonna have to have wifey find me a damn contortion training course to get that low and limber behind my bow, damn that dude is dexterous.

Trump Won!
A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Gunner - found some Easton 300s, sending you a PM.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Got it and Thanks AH64, speaking of setup, I noticed when nocked, my arrows sit a bit tail high, should I lower the knock point so the arrows lay flat?

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gunner500
I noticed when nocked, my arrows sit a bit tail high, should I lower the knock point so the arrows lay flat?

Usually not.....

Shoot into your target with the arrow relatively level to the target, and see where the nock end of the arrow ends up. Adjust nocking point up or down accordingly.

If you go too far down, the arrow will bounce the tail end off the shelf, and end up nock end high, giving you a false reading.

http://www.bowhunter.com/uncategorized/how-to-tune-a-traditional-bow/

http://www.bowhunter.com/uncategorized/tips-for-tuning-your-traditional-arrow/

IC B3

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Thanks aalf, I would need to fire from my knee into a round bale or put my block target on a tailgate to get a straight on hit, the arrows fired from standing do look right on "angle of fire" upon retrieval.

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I forgot to add, shoot at around six feet from the target for starters.

As long as you follow through leaving your bow and eye in the release position, you can gauge left or right nock position w/o shooting from level. True enough as long as your target isn't shot all to hell skewering arrow travel.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
10-4 on the 6 feet, and yes, it's a newer block target that's not yet shot to hell, my old one was riddled to chit by my Mathews Black Max II. smile

Trump Won!
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I paper tune, but have no rack.

Last rig I checked I did this:

Cut a cardboard box so I can tape an 8.5 x 11" sheet of paper over the hole (hole just smaller than paper).

Laid a couple of Jeep coil spacers inside the box to anchor it to some antique table the old lady had.

Bag target set behind that.

Table was low, so had to shoot off my knees.

Knew it shot good, from past experience with other bows...but wanted to check.

Perfect, one after another.

Later I went to a range with sand pits and BH flew fine to 40 yards.

Boringly repeatably good.

My Dorado, Tradtech and last two Blackwidows.

Paper tune has NEVER sent me down the wrong path. It is not needed (got great results without it) but it's nice to be doubly sure.

Last edited by hookeye; 06/26/16.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Have had folks running bad tunes and they make a change and an improvement is seen.

Some think they then have arrived.

Usually just a trend has been observed.
Went round and round with a management guy at work.

Hit a 3D range and at practice bales I watched him shoot.
HORRIBLE flight to me was GOOD to him............since it was even worse before.

I did a quick brace and nock change and he was flabberghasted...........he couldn't see his arrows fly anymore.

smile

Had to learn the new sightpicture a bit, but so touchy and bad before, even with the change he shot his best score to that point, by a substantial amount.

Last edited by hookeye; 06/26/16.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I dusted off my old HF1225 and shot it last week.
Looks like I never picked up a bow before LOL.
Pretty funny.
I'll be dialed back in, in a few weeks. Left shoulder just is sloppy. Got banged up at work and have been babying it, so nothing feels right.

I just start out new each season, by shooting close. That way if I flub it I don't miss the target. So there's no worry. That means no target panic.

So I can shoot more, work on the feel, and get back into form/groove.

Then when that's ingrained it's learn the sight pictures and work at longer D to minimize slop.

You can't creep or pluck at 40 yards LOL. Unless you like holes in your shed smile

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Appreciate that plethora of info Hook, and laugh on not being able to see his arrows in flight and patching shed holes, I can't ever being able to see 40 yards with a LB, paper tuning will be next after I get the proper spined arrows made up. smile

Trump Won!
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
you can do 40 barebow. But it will take a LOT of effort.

At least it did for me once upon a time.

At that time I was getting ready for a caribou hunt in AK. I was stump shooting at home every evening out to almost 100 yards as much as time would allow.

The caribou were weird, not around much, migration was there but not exactly where we could get to. I did punch a blunt at a small bull at about 70 yards just to see, and barely went over him.

But 25 or 20 on in isn't that bad. And since my personal limit on our deer here, is 15 steps, learning to be able to touch or almost touch arrows at that distance isnt' that tough.

Then just wait for the shot. Part of the game.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I have a better shot of signing up as a traveling gynecologist than I would hitting the side of my pickup at 40 yards now Rost, gonna be lots of shooting, and years of practice before I can even think that far out, sad part is, I can pick up my compound and kill a deer tomorrow at that range! cry

Agreed on the short yardage, I want to be absolutely proficient at 20/22 yards, did the caribou know you were there? grin

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I adjusted my brace height by twisting the string from 5"s to 7-3/4"s, groups shrank in half, and I haven't even started shooting the proper spined arrows AH64Guy sent me either.

Wonder why brace height never came up? crazy

I called Dan Toelke, he ask the length and poundage of my Montana Whip that he built, he said YES, unhook the string from the bottom limb and twist clockwise, restring and keep measuring and twisting till I got the brace height set at 7.75"s, I don't get the chit slapped outta my wrist anymore as an extra bonus.

I'll kill something with this rig now. smile

Trump Won!
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

641 members (160user, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 1973cb450, 71 invisible), 2,989 guests, and 1,214 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,263
Posts18,467,116
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.