Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Hey, Bob!

The 1956 Savage M99 I bought last month has a POS 4X scope on it I'm looking to get rid of, if you're interested... It's called a "K4". It's one of them Jack Weaver scopes, I guess. Can't imagine anybody wanting one in this day and age, but I know you're kinda tetched in the haid, so I might could make you a deal.

I could buy me one of them new Leupy 1.5-33X variables then...

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
gnoahhh,

Yeah, I really miss the trigger and, especially, floorplate on the 54!

Point taken!

Actually, I'm totally at home with a military-style two stage trigger so the 54 trigger doesn't bother me in the least. The solid floor plate is another matter though. But in reality it's not a handicap. The rifles I own/owned with hinged floor plates allowed for quick and simple unloading, but usually with one or two cartridges ending up on the ground anyway. Having grown up with Springfields and Mausers, I take short-stroking the bolt to empty the magazine as another given in life.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Doc thanks...but I am a M8 4X guy and kinda like the 4X Conquest as well, of which I have two right now. smile

Your psychological profile of me is very accurate but I have heard it before..... wink smile

Brit: Yes you are right. The new rifles are kinda push button.

But I look at the wood on most pre 64's,sigh, puke,and replace the stocks..

Hell they last a long time. smile

Last edited by BobinNH; 06/23/16.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I am a long time user and great fan pre-64 Mod.70., but I will admit that some of the latest Mod.70 look and feel just as good as some of the pre-64's That said, all Mod.70's have a serious flaw, they allow gas to escape through the bolt assembly to the shooters face and eyes should there be a catastrophic case failure. I know this because I have witnessed it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by super T
I am a long time user and great fan pre-64 Mod.70., but I will admit that some of the latest Mod.70 look and feel just as good as some of the pre-64's That said, all Mod.70's have a serious flaw, they allow gas to escape through the bolt assembly to the shooters face and eyes should there be a catastrophic case failure. I know this because I have witnessed it.

When the Classic was introduced, one of the improvements over the pre-64 was a gas block mounted opposite the extractor to reduce gas from flowing back through the left raceway. In addition, later Classics also had a gas flange on the left side of the bolt shroud to deflect any gases which came through the left raceway away from the shooters face. Post New Haven Model 70's incorporate both these features. But, are you saying gas comes through the interior of the bolt, past the firing pin?

Talk is cheap. It takes money to buy whiskey.
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Mudstud, sorry about the slow reply. The rifle in question was likely manufactured in the 90's. Moreover, I am unaware of the improvements you describe. I hope they work. I'm not sure how the gas and metal particles found their way to my brothers face and right eye, but they certainly did. The cause of the accident has never been determined. The ammo was factory stuff. The rifle was put together by a nationally know gun builder who has a fine reputation. The rifle at his request was sent to him for inspection, but he could not come up with a definite cause. The rifle is a 300WM. I'm thinking it was a plugged bore because we were hunting mud and snow, but who knows.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I've had a few pre 64 model 70's and a couple of the FN made versions. NONE of the pre 64's shot as well as the FN versions.

I've got a SS Extreme Weather in 270, factory MOA trigger (adjusted to 3 lbs) that has shot several sub 1/4" 3 shot 100 yard groups, the best being .140

I like the pre 64's and still have a couple but IMO the FN versions leave nothing to be desired.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by RevMike
John:

Just a quick note to say how much I enjoyed your article on the 80th birthday of the Model 70. But I must say, you're going to stir a hornet's nest here on the 'Fire by insinuating that the current iteration is (perhaps) the best one yet.

RM

That's his job.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I got a complimentary copy in the mail, apparently they're running a promotion to generate more subscriptions. Good read, and a pleasant surprise.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've looked in several stores. Found Outdoor Life, Field and Stream. Can't find a Sports Afield anywhere.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Ah, the Model 70 is just a passing fad that will never catch on. I'm waiting for them to come to their senses and revive the Model 54. whistle smile

Amen! Especially the Pre '34.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I've got five of them and each one needed an Ernie spring to get the MOA trigger pull down to three pounds. One of them still needs some honing to stop the trigger creep.

The glue locking the screw comes right off if you hit them with heat. It doesn't take much. Even a hair dryer works.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
R
RevMike Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by MichiganScott
The glue locking the screw comes right off if you hit them with heat. It doesn't take much. Even a hair dryer works.

I sure wish I'd have thought of that instead of incurring the wrath of Mrs. Rev for having ruined one of her small crochet hooks.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Hairdryers? Crochet hooks?

Geezus... sick crazy

With a real trigger, you use a wrench...and screwdriver. cool

Last edited by BobinNH; 06/30/16.

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Good one, Bob.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by beefan
Good one, Bob.

beefan: Laffin' Haha! grin

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by shrapnel

A friend of mine just gave me a copy of Sports Afield. I hadn't seen a copy in a long time. They have certainly done a nice job with the publication and although I may never go to Africa, I might subscribe just because I didn't see a single Glock or AR platform in the whole magazine...

Amen! Of course they'll only sell ten or twenty copies with the absence of AR's & Glocks according to some folks.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Re the new Model 70's. I've handled a few of their supergrades. The finish on their receivers is just as horrible as anything produced in the last 30 years. It's aweful. Yes they are shiny, and that's about all that anyone will notice anyway.

Last edited by pathfinder76; 07/04/16.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Have you seen anything better in that price range?

R
RevMike Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by pathfinder76
Re the new Model 70's. I've handled a few of their supergrades. The finish on their receivers is just as horrible as anything produced in the last 30 years. It's aweful. Yes they are shiny, and that's about all that anyone will notice anyway.

Owned one? Shot one? Worked with one? Or just handled one? Not being contentious; just trying to clarify.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

594 members (1234, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 51 invisible), 2,652 guests, and 1,140 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,503
Posts18,452,541
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.