Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
So I've been wondering why I haven't been getting as many eggs lately. Couple days ago I opened the chicken house to check the water and saw a big snake skin shed inside the house! We have mostly black snakes around my place. So how would I go about catching this thing?

GB1

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Just find the hole he's getting in through and plug it, you know he is eating plenty of mice that are stealing your chicken food.
Most snakes are more beneficial than harmful.

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've heard of using caged mice to catch snakes. The come through the bars, but the meal holds the fast. I never had occasion to try it, but it does make sense.
Also agree that snakes can be very beneficial. Maybe snake proofing the eggs would be a better option. How to do that, though, you're on your own! confused
7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
I fully agree about the benefits of the snakes being around, mice, chipmunks, etc. I would normally not bother one unless it's a copperhead. But, there is no reason the eggs are disappearing other than that big skin calling card it left.

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
The chickens I have now are carnivores a bird flew in the lot the other day and was gobbled up in seconds doubt a snake would last more than a few minutes.We used to have some ducks and the house was on the ground so you had to crawl in to get the eggs.I learned pretty quick to take my 22 pistol nothing like going toe to toe with a 7ft black snake in cramped quarters.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Get some "deer netting"
Roll it loosely and lay it along the walls of your coop.
Snakes trying to crawl through it get tangled

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Take a medium sized fish hook tied to a couple feet of fishing line and anchor it to something immovable. Next take a fresh egg and poke a tiny hole in it with the tip of the fish hook. Insert the hook inside of the egg and place were a snake is likely to find it. Snake eats egg, shell breaks inside snake, hook catches snake. It is fool proof.

W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Justin, I will do this, sounds like a plan!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My aunt once painted an old door knob white and left it in the nest. Snake didn't return after the knob went missing.

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
I have a relative that does varmint control and he catches snakes with those sticky cardboard things for mice. When he releases them he just puts vegetable oil on it.

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by justin10mm
Take a medium sized fish hook tied to a couple feet of fishing line and anchor it to something immovable. Next take a fresh egg and poke a tiny hole in it with the tip of the fish hook. Insert the hook inside of the egg and place were a snake is likely to find it. Snake eats egg, shell breaks inside snake, hook catches snake. It is fool proof.

This. It works well.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I have heard that an old golf ball in the nest will work. Need to be the kind with wrapped rubber bands. Snake eats it thinking it to be an egg and his digestive juices melt the outer cover and the band stare coming apart blowing him up from the inside. I don't know if it works or if they even make this type golf ball any more. you used to be able to get glass eggs just for this purpose, but I would have no idea where to find one now. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I fully agree about the benefits of the snakes being around,

Called by several names but we call them chicken snakes here. I kill every one that I can. They eat lots of quail eggs, baby rabbits and baby squirrels along with song birds and eggs that are in trees. We have some here that swim from tree to tree along lake edges and then climb the trees eating baby anything, from squirrels to wood ducks. They are bigger but I don't know if they are a different snake or just the diet is different. They look nearly alike but could be a close relative. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've always caught them with a 12 gauge grin

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Owl

Over-penetrate?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by Owl

Over-penetrate?

Not if he swings it by the barrel. wink

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
I took a snelled hook, put it in the egg, tied some monofilamnet onto the end of the snelled hook line. Yesterday, the egg is gone and the line is missing about 2 or 3 inches from where the hook was. Something has an egg with a hook in it's gut, but I don't know what.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
May have to go to steel leader and braided fishing line... wink

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Yep, I'll se how things go.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
When I was a kid the feed store sold glass eggs in a egg carton for getting rid of snakes. Recently one of our friends was using range golf balls. He said the golf balls work fine.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost....
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (10gaugemag, 1minute, 160user, 1lessdog, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 57 invisible), 2,734 guests, and 1,259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,365
Posts18,469,035
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.