Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
repeating weapons started with the Paper Patched Loading

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by jaytee
When was the first repeating rifle or gun made? The reason I ask is I hear folks say that the reason we need new gun laws is that guns were single shot muskets back when the 2nd amendment was written and not anything like we have today.

Well by that logic the First amendment was written when there were only lever operated, one page at a time printing presses and ink wells and quill pens, think about that for a minute!

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
As someone pointed out earlier, when the 1st amendment was written, it was printed on a hand operated flat bed press that produced only a single copy at a time.

Last edited by websterparish47; 06/24/16.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Preaching to the choir, but yes, the whole point of "gun control" is to leave the citizens defenseless against the armed forces of the State..

The Founding Fathers knew all about the 100% likely abuse of power inherent in those who seek to govern others and therefore wrote into the Constitution every counter to that abuse of power they could think of. The ability to counter the armed might of despots was the very soul of the 2nd Amendment. Were they alive today and the questions of AR-15's or any other weapon equal to those owned by the State were put to them, their mutual replies would be some 18th century phrase akin to "f'ckin' A right we want the citizens to own those!".
F'ckin A!

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I hear folks say that the reason we need new gun laws is that guns were single shot muskets back when the 2nd amendment was written and not anything like we have today.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

The purpose of the second amendment is to ensure that we can "bear arms" and use them to form "well regulated militias" and defend our "free State". I swore a pledge "to defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies foreign and domestic". Everyone who has served in the military, every officer of the court, every public official, every naturalized citizen, has also sworn the same oath.

In order to do that, we need weapons that are as potent as those that the enemies of freedom possess. We have already lost most of the potency of the second amendment because people have forgotten the true purpose. The enemies of freedom possess fully automatic weapons both carbines and heavy machine guns, artillery, mortars, and RPGs. They also possess explosives such as Claymores, hand grenades, satchel charges, IEDs, etc. Plus tanks, fighter jets, attack helicopters, guided missiles, and attack drones. Someday Americans will need all of those weapons to defend freedom.

I just attended the wedding of my niece, in Kalifornia. While there my other niece said "surely we can take away assault weapons. Nobody needs one of those. Do they?" I was so dumbfounded by her ignorance that I regretfully didn't give a proper response.

The right to self defense, hunting and target shooting are just accessories to the real purpose of the 2nd amendment.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Ships....have GUNS!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

Some ships were hijacked that could have avoided it with just a few guns.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Calhoun
Cannons owned by colonists were both destroyed by the redcoats at Concorde and successfully hidden from them.

I've often been accused of carrying a concealed cannon!

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by P_Weed
Cannons owned by colonists were both destroyed by the redcoats at Concorde and successfully hidden from them.

I've often been accused of carrying a concealed cannon!

Stop eating beans.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
John Browning's father had an early repeater design like no other... he had a bar that slid through the action and it was drilled with a half-dozen or so holes matching the bore. Powder and bullets were seated in the bar and ignited by percussion caps (IIRC on the p caps) placed one at a time.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B3

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
But the 2nd Amendment and all early texts clearly state that the purpose of the 2nd Amendment is to allow every man to defend himself, and to allow the citizenry to fight tyranny both from foreign OR domestic sources. As such, military small arms should obviously be covered under the 2nd Amendment - up to and including TRUE assault rifles. Actually I'd say it covers machineguns as well.

I believe that a free law abiding citizen of the USA has the right to own any weapon they want. They need to have any weapon that their enemies have.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Well I would say a weapon that was capable of dispensing more then one round before having to reload but not sure if thats the technically correct definition.

When "they" ask that.... RE repeating/musket, ask em if they still walk or ride horses to work/school.

Life moves on. Keep up with it.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by rost495
Well I would say a weapon that was capable of dispensing more then one round before having to reload but not sure if thats the technically correct definition.

When "they" ask that.... RE repeating/musket, ask em if they still walk or ride horses to work/school.

^^^^^^^^^^

This.

The Govt. has ARs....we have ARs

The 2nd Amendment wasn't just for single shots any more than the 1st amendment was just for speech per se. They didn't have the internet back then, but the 1st amendment still protects me when I say to the world I think the Govt. is mightily phouced up.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ingwe

The 2nd Amendment wasn't just for single shots any more than the 1st amendment was just for speech per se. They didn't have the internet back then, but the 1st amendment still protects me when I say to the world I think the Govt. is mightily phouced up.

The gov't has M4's.

We should have M4's.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by ingwe

The gov't has M4's.

We should have M4's.

I stand corrected, you are right!

And mini-guns too! grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by johnw
If all govt arms bearers will go back to a flintlock musket, then so will I.

Not me, I'm burying my Henry repeater in the back yard.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think that when the 2nd was written, if some a-hole had killed a bunch of innocent people with a flintlock musket, a bayonet, a tomahawk, rock, fire, knife, hands, etc, etc, etc; they would have hung his sorry ass in short order and not spent months gabbing on the killer's "motivation" or listening to defense motions and appeals.

Some of the old methods were okay...

J
jaytee Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by rost495

And I'm sure their response would be "exactly, we need to keep up with these new weapons by updating our outdated gun laws"

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
The first practical self contained cartridge was invented around 1845 in France. It was a rimfire CB cap , very low powered. By the civil war 25 years or so later the cartridges had progressed to a slightly larger caliber and other style ignition systems were being developed.Also by the Civil war there were numerous manual repeaters such as the Spencer and even the Henry and 1866 winchester, and the gatling gun was being developed. By the turn of the century there were working machine guns designed. So at the birth of our nation in 1776 it was about 70-80 years before cartridge development came to where practical repeaters were feasible, and within about 120 years machine guns as we know them were being developed.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
When was the first repeating rifle or gun made? The reason I ask is I hear folks say that the reason we need new gun laws is that guns were single shot muskets back when the 2nd amendment was written and not anything like we have today.

So the first amendment should only apply to writing done by quill and ink, but not to writing done with a ball point pen because the pen was invented later?

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

606 members (10gaugemag, 1936M71, 160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10ring1, 72 invisible), 2,280 guests, and 1,135 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,124
Posts18,464,622
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.