Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I see them on an awful lot of DG rifles set up for Africa.

These guys can likely afford anything they want, but they have Trijicon. Mmmmm....

Comments?

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
GB1

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Illuminated triangle or dot on cross hairs helps in low light and dark background situations for aiming.

He went over yonder way
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Have wondered the same thing myself Bob. What really got me the most was the price tag. They're all very expensive for a relatively unknown scope. I noticed John had one on a 338Federal in his article on such. powdr

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
They are built ruggedly and have extremely good glass and a sweet reticle. If they have one flaw(depending on the model) it is the eye relief . The lamp has to be replaced every I believe 7 years or so .

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Makers of the ACOG. They must be doing something right.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
It's a self regulating lit reticle w/ no batteries. It's illumination is dependent on ambient lighting. In bright daylight it's blazing, moonlit night it's just visible (just what you need to not lose your nightvision). You don't have to do anything to it, it just works.

They also have tritium illumination to make the reticle visible in complete darkness. I think it lasts longer than 7 years, don't remember exactly. Doesn't really need the tritium, works great w/o. I used mine to shoot many a hog at night in Texas w/ no additional illumination.

My Trijicons both tracked very accurately also over their limited travel, always held zero. I can see the attraction in a set and forget rifle. Their attempts at tacticool style scopes have been a disaster. Limited travel, bad reticles, mixed moa/mil, etc. If they could get the illumination in a simple hunting scope with knobs like the 3-9x42 SWFA it would be fantastic! No such luck so far.

David

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks guys good info!

See lots of them on Cape Buffalo rifles on these videos. Interesting stuff.

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Bob,have a suggestion for you,buy Craig Boddington's book "Safari Rifles II" in it he goes through scopes,mounts,bullets,rifles etc.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
the ones with the posts are great
the dot ones have dots so small as to be a waste of time
have 1-4 amber post and 3-9 red post
had 3-9 dot. dot was tiny and off center. sent back for one with post

1-4 on light 12 ga slug gun 3". 200 plus shells, no problem

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by stlooiearch

Says you. smile

Bob, if you'll recall, I used the "waste-of-time" dot/crosshairs version on my brown bear hunt.
It was a godsend on that hunt. Not that illumination via battery wouldn't have worked, I just wanted to keep it simple.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
IC B3

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Scott I do remember that!

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by SKane

Says you. smile

Bob, if you'll recall, I used the "waste-of-time" dot/crosshairs version on my brown bear hunt.
It was a godsend on that hunt. Not that illumination via battery wouldn't have worked, I just wanted to keep it simple.

I liked the amber dot on my 2.5-10x56 a lot also.

David

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Bob: Trijicon is heavy into the African market. I don't know why as it's rather small. I owned one for a while, post and triangle one and it was a very good scope. Mule Deer has used them a bit and maybe he'll chime in.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I had a 3-9 with the Amber post on this .243 for a while.... it held zero well, and was pretty solid. The Amber triangle always showed up well, and was easy to use. Wasn't the best for precision group shooting, but it was hell on called in coyotes....

[Linked Image]

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Says you. smile

Would like to hear more about your bear hunt and the Trijicon scope reticle you used and what caliber rifle!
AMRA

Molan Labe
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I like how the illumination works but I have been decidedly disappointed by the glass quality. IMO it's not even VX3 quality.

Hunt Africa while you can
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have a couple and love the illumination. Really makes it easier to aim at dusk, especially the green.
I found the glass quality to be about VX2, good but not great.
The other important point is that their warranty is non-transferable. For scopes that expensive it's unacceptable in today's market. I'm not talking about just the tritium, which only has a 10 yr warranty, I'm talking about the whole scope. If you buy second hand and don't have warranty card, your going to pay for any repairs.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by mliang
I have a couple and love the illumination. Really makes it easier to aim at dusk, especially the green.
I found the glass quality to be about VX2, good but not great.
The other important point is that their warranty is non-transferable. For scopes that expensive it's unacceptable in today's market. I'm not talking about just the tritium, which only has a 10 yr warranty, I'm talking about the whole scope. If you buy second hand and don't have warranty card, your going to pay for any repairs.

I can attest to both your points. I ended up getting rid of mine because the glass was sub par - you needed the tritium at dusk because the glass was so dark and lacked contrast in last light. The S&B I replaced it with didn't need illumination to hunt in the same conditions.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by AMRA

Says you. smile

Would like to hear more about your bear hunt and the Trijicon scope reticle you used and what caliber rifle!
AMRA

Not SKane, but as I recall, he was armed with a Rem 700 of 35 Whelen persuasion. I could be wrong.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Can't help Bob as I will be using the same POS low light Leupold 1.5-5x as I used in Alaska this year, for buff/sable next year and brownies again in 2018. My Dad always called me hard headed...

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1234, 1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 61 invisible), 2,570 guests, and 1,119 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,315
Posts18,468,365
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.