Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
bea175 Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
The Democratic party has a big problem, and they don’t want voters to know — Vermont Senator (and troublemaker) Bernie Sanders could hand Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump the White House.

It comes down to Sanders supporters extreme distaste for presumptive Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton.

Sanders supporters don’t like Clinton. In fact, they seemingly hate her — a lot. And they’re vowing to refuse to vote for her in November in large numbers.

According to a recent Bloomberg survey of Sanders supporters, nearly half say they won’t vote for Clinton.

The mainstream media continues to point out that Clinton enjoys a general election lead over Trump in head-to-head polls, and they’re right — but they’re taking a narrow view. When presented as the only two options, Sanders supporters back Clinton overwhelmingly against Trump.

However, they’re leaving out an important factor — Libertarian presidential candidate Gary Johnson.

And when the field is expanded to include him, the polling math gets hairy for the Clinton campaign.

According to the June 14th Bloomberg Politics national poll, released Wednesday, 18% of Sanders primary supporters intend to vote for Johnson and 22% say they’ll vote Trump.

Only 55% say they’ll follow the Democratic National Committees call for unity and support Clinton — and that puts millions of votes in play.

If Sanders supporters’ anti-Clinton sentiment doesn’t change — and doesn’t change drastically — they could easily hand Trump the keys to the Oval Office.

Using the results of the 2012 general election (and this year shapes up similarly in terms of demographics) and Bloomberg Politics poll numbers, we can see just how much Clinton is hurt by Sanders’ supporters turning to Johnson.

According to Real Clear Politics, just over 43% of voters chose Sanders over Clinton in the Democratic primary.

Should 18% of Sanders 43% share go Johnson’s way — and we assume the rest of the 2012 general election numbers between President Barack Obama and former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney hold steady — that gives Johnson a 5% share of the total general election vote.

Sanders has yet to concede the race, and warned Democrats on Thursday that his political revolution is “just getting started.”

“Clinton will need superdelegates to take her over the top at the convention in Philadelphia. In other words, it will be a contested convention,” Sanders promised in May.

These same superdelegates that will push Clinton over the top are deeply resented by Sanders supporters. “There have been complaints of threatening phone calls, angry emails and intimidation via social media” towards superdelegates from Sanders backers, according to The Telegraph.

With huge numbers of his supporters planning to “crash” the Democratic National Convention in Philadelphia and their history of violent outbursts at recent Democratic functions, it means Philadelphia could be a looming disaster for establishment Democrats.

Should Trump succeed in party unity and Clinton fail — meaning everything else from the 2012 general election held constant –the 22% of Democratic party disloyalists that told pollsters they’d choose Trump over Clinton makes it a landslide match-up — Trump trounces Clinton, 53% to 42%.

Even if Sanders is able to convince his Trump-bound primary voters to back Clinton, and we exclude Trump’s 22% share of Sanders supporters and just count Johnson’s influence — the popular vote still swings Republican, 47% to 45%.

Johnson’s presence — and to a lesser extent, Green Party candidate Jill Stein — would play spoiler to Clinton.

It’s similar to what happened just four presidential elections in the past. In the 2000 general election, former Green Party candidate Ralph Nader carved out a 2.7% share of the popular vote — half of what Johnson currently threatens to grab.

Still to this day, Democrats grumble that Nader cost former Vice President Al Gore the presidency — and they’re not wrong. Florida’s 25 electoral college votes, the deciding factor in the election, were won by former President George W. Bush by a razor thin margin — 537 votes.

Now consider that 97,488 votes were cast for Nader in Florida that year, and one can begin to imagine the devastating impact Sanders disloyalists could have to Clinton’s 2016 presidential hopes.

Johnson securing anywhere near 5% of the general election vote suddenly transforms a lot of previously-solid Democrat states into Republican wins.

And that 2016 electoral college math starts to look pretty good for Trump.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Anybody but Hillary...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Sanders just endorsed Clinton, and said he will vote for her. I see a Clinton/Sanders ticket.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by benchman
Sanders just endorsed Clinton, and said he will vote for her. I see a Clinton/Sanders ticket.

I dunno.

I doubt Sanders would do it.

Hilldog would, if she thought it would win her the race...

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Hillary will ask Sanders to be VP for the same reason Obama had her as Sec. State.

Me

IC B2

RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The one thing that democrats do well is fall in line before election day. Those polling numbers about Sanders voters is very common when the candidate first drops. Same results came out when Hillary dropped out in 2008. Something like 40%+ said that they would not vote for Obama. But by the time the election came around, they fell in line just like nice liberals do. I don't believe these numbers will hold. Wish they would, but they won't. Also, Bernie is going to actively support Hillary. Bank on it.

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by benchman

I dunno.

I doubt Sanders would do it.

Hilldog would, if she thought it would win her the race...

He'll just come out and tell his minions to vote for her.

"Hey jackass, get your government off my freedom."
MOLON LABE
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by teal
Hillary will ask Sanders to be VP for the same reason Obama had her as Sec. State.

You think Sanders, at his advanced age, would go for it?

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Actually alot of people are thinking anyone but Trump such is the the Distrust of the Conman

and thats the sad thing...

Last edited by Stevil; 06/24/16.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by RAS
The one thing that democrats do well is fall in line before election day. Those polling numbers about Sanders voters is very common when the candidate first drops. Same results came out when Hillary dropped out in 2008. Something like 40%+ said that they would not vote for Obama. But by the time the election came around, they fell in line just like nice liberals do. I don't believe these numbers will hold. Wish they would, but they won't. Also, Bernie is going to actively support Hillary. Bank on it.

Anybody that thinks that democrats aren't going to show up and vote for the Democrat are out of their MF'ing mind.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by SockPuppet
Originally Posted by teal

You think Sanders, at his advanced age, would go for it?

Why would age make him shy away from VP and not President?

He has to think there's a slim chance she doesn't serve her full term and he's president.

Me

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
For a Friday evening, after a long week at work................................................................That's a lot of math!!!!

laugh

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Koch brothers need to get the Bern to run 3rd party.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ironbender
Koch brothers need to get the Bern to run 3rd party.

Heads exploding all over democratic underground.

Carpe' Scrotum
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Sweet!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
That's the ticket!!!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
hillary will not be the candidate

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think the incessant gun control rants will doom Komrades Klinton & Klinton

Take your kids and your grand kids huntin' and shootin'.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by stlooiearch

How do you figure that? Believe me, I wish it true. But seems like an indictment won't even hurt her.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by stlooiearch

You care to make a wager on that?

How do you figure?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

653 members (1eyedmule, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 72 invisible), 2,948 guests, and 1,419 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,476
Posts18,451,812
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.