Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
kciH Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Looking for a lighter crisp trigger pull with no slop on my stainless Bisley, who would you send it to? I realize good work is seldom inexpensive, so don't let price color your advice.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." TJ

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing". EB

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Have you tried a poor man's trigger job? Sometimes that lightens the trigger up enough that no further work is needed. I routinely do that to all Ruger single actions and it never fails to help.

Remove one of the grip panels and just unhook one leg of the trigger return spring from its post anchor up near the top of the frame. Be sure to only unhook one side. If you unhook both sides it leaves a dangerously light pull and can fail to reset the trigger after firing.

If there is still unacceptable creep then you'd need a gunsmith for which unfortunately I don't have any good recommendations.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Last time I talked to Jack Huntington an action job was $100.

http://www.jrhadvancedgunsmithing.com/

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
By the time you ship the gun back and forth you're looking at real money, so you might as well have other work done at the same time.

I've found Wolff springs and lots of dry firing work wonders on a Ruger SA trigger pull. Cheap, too.

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've done various New Models for myself, so I have an idea what you're up against. Some are shootable as-is and only need a little spring work. FWIW I have never unhooked a leg of the trigger return spring and consider it a bad idea. You can bend that spring to a degree, to ease tension and there are plenty of aftermarket springs available.

Creep is a function of hammer notch depth and angle. I've seen a few NM's actually cam the hammer back a few thousandths and those are a beeeotch. You can reduce hammer notch depth roughly half as I recall, but this isn't even a rule of thumb because there's so much variance what you get from the factory. Each one has to be divined out and exorcised of its particular demons.

There is at least one better way, if you're willing to spend a few bucks. I recently handled a stainless Blackhawk that had it's hammer & trigger replaced with Power Custom components. Its trigger was crisp and light enough to be shootable. I was also at the shop the other day and examined some of their hammers & triggers. It appears to me they have sorted out the hammer notch and sear angle pretty well, when both are used together.

I am impressed enough that my next NM Ruger (probably a shortened blue 45 Bisley) will get a set. YMMV

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I send all of my "shooter" handguns to Ahlman's in Morristown, MN, for their "smooth and tune" and "ream forcing cone" jobs. That work, less shipping, runs around $120 and their turn around is very quick.

www.ahlmans.com

kciH Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I've already unhooked one leg. My main issue is that the pull is long and sloppy, with the the usual over travel.

I had Cylinder & Slide (local) do some work on another Bisley for me, but the trigger had already been taken care of by the previous owner.

I've got a Ruger SSM that was a personal gun of Jim Stroh, he did a pretty God job on that one but it seems his main line of work is auto pistols.

I'm originally from MN and drive by Ahlman's fairly regular.

Decisions decisions

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." TJ

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing". EB

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
C&S in Fremont, NE?

kciH Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Yup, they did a nice job for me on a few things. Nice as they will call you when it's your turn, so you don't have to ship the pistol off 9 months in advance.

IC B3

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Tom Mason, 727 Lake Doniphan Road, Excelsior Springs MO 64024, Cellular Telephone 816-804-7135. Tom's shop hours are 9:30 AM to 6:00 PM Tuesday through Thursday. Feel free to call him during his shop hours to discuss what you want done. I am a totally satisfied customer.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Should be called bubba trigger job,not poor mans.

Have it done right.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I think that Ahlman's work is as good a C&S.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
I had my Single Seven done in a local shop, Mid-Star Firearms in Middleton Id.

They used Power Custom parts for a free spin conversion, which was my primary request on this model as it is a bit of a pain to reload in the factory configuration. But they had to modify after market parts intended for a Single Six to do the job.

Any NM Ruger SA will have a bit of trigger take up in order to engage the transfer bar. The take up on my Single Seven is barely noticeable with live ammo and the trigger breaks like a target rifle.

I am extremely pleased.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter

They used Power Custom parts for a free spin conversion, which was my primary request on this model as it is a bit of a pain to reload in the factory configuration. But they had to modify after market parts intended for a Single Six to do the job.

Any NM Ruger SA will have a bit of trigger take up in order to engage the transfer bar. The take up on my Single Seven is barely noticeable with live ammo and the trigger breaks like a target rifle.

I am extremely pleased.

How much did that conversion cost you? My Single Seven is a bitch to load also.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
kciH Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

I am extremely pleased.

Have you had anyone do an overtravel stop?

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

I am extremely pleased.

I am not sure. I think I wrote a check for about $250, but that also included Fire Sights.

How much did that conversion cost you? My Single Seven is a bitch to load also.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Cut the hammer engagement to .020 - .025", bend the factory trigger spring arms upward until you measure near 3 pounds pull. I also like to add an Old Army hammer spring to the piece. Pretty is work with patience.

Conduct is the best proof of character.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (1lesfox, 10gaugemag, 11point, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 57 invisible), 2,929 guests, and 1,235 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,357
Posts18,468,926
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.