Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Anyone look into this? For example, hypothetically, pretend that you are legally carrying a rifle along the NM border with Colorado and you have a Colorado Deer tag. Pretend that your only-best shot into a Canyon in Colorado is from the NM side (about 200 yards into NM). Can you legally pull the trigger in NM to kill the deer in Colorado and walk over and tag the deer in Colorado?

Just curious.

"The end of the human race will be that it will eventually die of civilization"-- Emerson

Support outdoor sports and our hunting-conservationist heritage; hunt with high morals and ethical standards
GB1

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
I'd say not legal.

Situation similar happened around here a few years back. Seems a Louisiana guy was shooting Arkansas deer while sitting in Louisiana. Short story is the Arkansas game wardens shot and killed him.

Last edited by websterparish47; 06/24/16.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Definitely not legal. Not any different from shooting from public land onto private. That being said, what they don't know won't hurt them. Don't ask how I know that. whistle

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by websterparish47
I'd say not legal.

Situation similar happened around here a few years back. Seems a Louisiana guy was shooting Arkansas deer while sitting in Louisiana. Short story is the Arkansas game wardens shot and killed him.

Perhaps Arkansas takes poaching a little too seriously. :-)

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
No.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
IC B2

J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Thanks. Makes sense to me now that I had good night sleep. Plus, I think that I found a place using Google Earth where I would be able to overlook part of the canyon hunt area in CO and glass/stalk for the right opportunity.

"The end of the human race will be that it will eventually die of civilization"-- Emerson

Support outdoor sports and our hunting-conservationist heritage; hunt with high morals and ethical standards
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
If the game warden asks, "what state was the deer was in"?

Reply, "The deer? Well, the deer was in a state of confusion." laugh

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If one must pose this question, he/she should really not be afield.

1Minute
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by websterparish47
Short story is the Arkansas game wardens shot and killed him.

Hey, Web

I'm not familiar w/that incident. I lived in S E La for 9 yrs but regardless I have no recollection of it.

Can you tell us what led to the shooting w/o going into too much detail?

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It is every bit as legal as shooting a deer in your neighbors yard without permission, from out of your back door, in a no hunting area, without a license and out of season.

I doubt it would be legal even if you had a valid license from the other state. In that case I still wouldn't count on a court's verdict going favorably for the defendant. The prosecutor would probably call it a case of poaching as the license for the state in which the bullet was loosed wasn't valid in the state where the deer resided. As a judge or jury member, I would agree.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by John_Gregori
Anyone look into this? For example, hypothetically, pretend that you are legally carrying a rifle along the NM border with Colorado and you have a Colorado Deer tag. Pretend that your only-best shot into a Canyon in Colorado is from the NM side (about 200 yards into NM). Can you legally pull the trigger in NM to kill the deer in Colorado and walk over and tag the deer in Colorado?

Just curious.

Hunting ethics need to be retooled?

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Ask the Colo fish & game dept how they'd feel about it. I'm guessing they'd be rather displeased.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Ask the Colo fish & game dept how they'd feel about it. I'm guessing they'd be rather displeased.

I can tell you exactly how they feel about it ... and so can the two guys that I saw get ticketed for doing it.

A few years back I was about a half-mile west of the Colorado/Kansas state line during deer season, standing in the middle of a county road visiting with the local Colorado WCO. A pickup pulled up on the Kansas side of the line and the occupants extended a rifle from the window and started shooting prairie dogs in Colorado. The officer observed this and counted the shots. He asked me if I counted the same number as he did (7) and then mentioned that their activity was going to cost them at least $75 per shot. They finally noticed that there was someone else in the vicinity and hurriedly drove east into Kansas. He pursued them for several miles before they pulled over.

Turned out they were a couple of off duty LEO's from Kansas ... Deputy Sheriff and Highway Patrolman.

Oh yeah, they got tickets. Lots of tickets.

Shooting across state lines, shooting from a vehicle, hunting on private property without permission, shooting from a public road, hunting without the proper license, evading an officer ... etc.

Colorado WCO was really, really pissed. "They knew better!" was all he snarled when asked about it later. I imagine it was kind of hard to explain to their superiors too.

Last edited by plainview; 06/26/16.

"Don't let so much reality into your life that there's no room left for dreaming"
J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Thanks. Makes sense to me now that I had good night sleep. Plus, I think that I found a place using Google Earth where I would be able to overlook part of the canyon hunt area in CO and glass/stalk for the right opportunity.

Enough said. Anyone ever ask a stupid question before and learnt something smile Thanks gents.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I remember Bryce Towsley writing that while tracking one buck he was no longer sure if he was in VT, NH, or Quebec.
I was Pronghorn hunting in SD and trying to make sure I didn't wander into WY or NE. I know I was close but I don't think I wandered over the line.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Just curious.

Only a rookie would walk over into Colorado to tag the deer. An experienced outdoorsman would drive over.

Plus, this should be in the deer hunting forum.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by moosemike
I remember Bryce Towsley writing that while tracking one buck he was no longer sure if he was in VT, NH, or Quebec.
I was Pronghorn hunting in SD and trying to make sure I didn't wander into WY or NE. I know I was close but I don't think I wandered over the line.
This is when a GPS with a good map that shows property lines is invaluable. Just south of us is the NV border. There are lots of places where it's impossible to tell where the border is without one.

― George Orwell

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
You can really hunt a number of species on state lines. I had a couple of Montana hunts where I crossed back and forth between MT and ID on an FS road that crossed the divide numerous times between the highway and camp. If you hopped off the road, going back to it at a different point could easily put you in the wrong state if it happened to be just off the top on the other side. You had to pay attention to your subdrainages there to make sure you were elk hunting in the right state. It would be easier now with a GPS to mark the state line for you. There is a mountain goat area in NW WY where you could be hunting MT goats if you were a little lost. You can also straddle state lines on some ranches where you can hunt antelope WY-CO or WY-MT. Hunting right on the line is probably more common for deer, though.

Whatever way you look at it, though shooting across a state line would not be smart. I am sure every state has laws on the books against that. If you can't stay in the right state, find a better place where it is not a problem.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It's a lot easier with fishing. ID & OR have an agreement for the Snake river which is the border for many miles. The entire width of the river is open to boaters of both states but you can't fish from the shore in the other state.
I assume other states with wet borders do the same.

What I don't know is how to handle a deer swimming in the river between the states. Is it legal? Of course if you did shoot it in the water it would likely sink.

― George Orwell

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Taking a head shot on a swimming deer, over water?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

189 members (300jimmy, 12344mag, 22kHornet, 10Glocks, 257 roberts, 2UP, 22 invisible), 2,233 guests, and 880 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,281
Posts18,467,711
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.