Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I'll bet that Zehner looks better in person than it does in the pics. Would I buy it? Nah, I don't like it that much but I can't afford it anyway so that's moot. There's a lot of things equally interesting as factory original Savages out there.

Heck, I recently bought an AR-15 that set me back enough to have bought a nice Savage. Never thought I'd say it, but it is a hoot to shoot. Regardless, it'll probably go down the road sooner or later too.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
BP-B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
So for us in the ignorant masses, who was Zehner?

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by S99VG
So for us in the ignorant masses, who was Zehner?

google it and you'll have the same knowledge as the rest of us.

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/6093887/Re_Bubba_99s

An early 50's frame with silicone breast implants....it's well done for sure but it's a nick nack and not worth that kind of coin....to me anyways.

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.
Thomas Jefferson

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
I had 284 PE's & DE's that went.To me they're just Italian acid etched POS.Same class as Win94 commemoratives to me.Give me a Tue engraved rifle for that kind of money.My own taste & opinion.

Last edited by sqweeler; 06/13/16.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would love to have a set of those claw mounts on one of my Savages !!

If you don't like Robert E. Lee, you won't like it on this ranch. JGM
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
I like claw's [img:center][Linked Image][/img] [img:center][Linked Image][/img]

Last edited by sqweeler; 06/13/16.
RAS Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Roy,

I have to look at my rifle again but I don't think it is that far off. When I first seen it, I was looking to see if it was a consecutive serial number to mine.

The shop that is selling this gun has a lot of higher end guns. It is a lot like Jaquas in OH.

I am going to hold on to this one for awhile. 😄

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

RAS Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
John,

Maybe I will bring it out this year for opening day. Lol

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

RAS Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JeffG
..still, one has to appreciate the workmanship that went into those rifles, just incredible.

Jeff, how close are the serial numbers?

9,000 difference.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nothing would make me happier than to have a friend come to Texas and get a big buck with a Zehner engraved Savage !!! You know how I love that German craftsmanship :):):) Bring it on ...... put your Zehner where your heart is !!!

If you don't like Robert E. Lee, you won't like it on this ranch. JGM
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RAS
I thought I had the only known Zehner 99. Then this one popped up on GI. It is funny, the exact shop that is selling this one wanted to buy mine for darn near what they are selling this one for. Though, mine is a much prettier rifle IMO. Also, I personally really dislike the diamond in the stock.

http://www.gunsinternational.com/gu...3000-savage-r19763-.cfm?gun_id=100708756

So a Zehner is a 99 that has been sent to a smith in Germany? What did they do to it, all cosmetic? I agree, the diamond looks like an eye,

RAS Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
No Barkoff. Zehner was a gunsmith who worked out of Frankfurt in West Germany. In short, he customized rifles with a few shotguns and pistols thrown in the mix. The vast, vast majority of his project firearms were Mausers. I have one of his rifles, but built on a Savage 99 platform....and it is a true masterpiece. Gorgeous rifle. A number of members here have seen it in person and they agree. But up until I found the 99 in the link in my first post of this thread, I did not know anymore existed.

Also to add, there is some info of Zehner rifles over on the German Gun Collectors Association. I have had quite a few conversations about my rifle with some of the fellas over there. Within those conversations, came two offers to purchase for which I respectfully declined.

I like the gun.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by oldgunsmith
I would love to have a set of those claw mounts on one of my Savages !!

here you are
only $1500

http://www.newenglandcustomgun.com/Gun_Services/search.asp?CI=279&ST=German%20Claw

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RAS

Also to add, there is some info of Zehner rifles over on the German Gun Collectors Association.

I've had some contact in the past as well with the German Gun Collectors Association. Seems some of my now long dead veteran relatives came home from both world wars with some very interesting German guns that eventually found their way to me. Gun geek must be an inherited trait.

Many of my relatives came to the US from Germanic origins in the mid 1800's. Regrettably, they had to go back to Germany 2 or 3 generations later and kill them. I know that was not an easy burden for them to bear, because before they died they told me it wasn't.

Anyway, can't take guns home as spoils of war anymore, they would put you in jail.

But, that's another story...

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J

One of my old friends rented a house from a WWI vet. When he found out we were into guns, he brought out his Mauser Broomhandle. It was full auto with a 20 round detachable clip. Several years later I met a guy into class 3 stuff and he said if the old guy had filled out spoils of war paper work it could still be registered. Otherwise, don't get caught with it. Always wondered what happened to it, Joe.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
648 members (1234, 257 roberts, 1lessdog, 2500HD, 257 mag, 17CalFan, 69 invisible), 2,762 guests, and 1,314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,648
Posts18,399,108
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.