Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
I just purchased a Remington varmint sf rifle and am wondering whether or not floating and bedding the stock that comes on it would be worth it. Any gunwriter along with anybody's opinion is appreciated.

GB1

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I have had good success using Steel Bed in plastic stocks. In particular a M-70 "All-Terrain" stock and three choate stocks installed on Mausers.

I had one that didn't work well. A Model 70 SS Classic in .338. My zero kept shifting around. I put the .338 in a McMillan AHR stock and accuracy improved greatly. I am guessing the recil made it flex too much.

You do have to leave a larger gap than usual [at least 1/16"] in the free float area as the stocks tend to flex more tha fiberglass and and touch the barrel.

Last edited by Dancing Bear; 06/25/16.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Both will help.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B

It's always helped my rifles.

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Get the stock away from the barrel, especially plastic. I worked on a VTR that shot terribly until I was able to chew away enough plastic AND enough heat to bend the forearm (don't ask, it was too much work and I'll never do that again ever) in a straight line with the rest of the stock.
Now it's a treasured rifle (for someone else) but before I did my voodoo, it was not a shooter at all.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I've bedded and floated a couple of my rifles, and a couple for friends with very good results. But, as stated above, the barrel needs a fair amount of space to be truly floated.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Glass bedding will often help and certainly will not hurt. Poor quality and/or light barrels will often shoot better bedded or with a pressure point. Personally I won't own a rifle that won't shoot floated.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Brad
Glass bedding will often help and certainly will not hurt. Poor quality and/or light barrels will often shoot better bedded or with a pressure point. Personally I won't own a rifle that won't shoot floated.

Spot on except I'll use a rifle that is full length bedded, if it proves to be a good shooter:

[Linked Image]

Old picture, but it shows how a properly full length bedded rifle can perform. I also understand the NULA's are full length bedded with no freefloat. However, I prefer a free floating barrel 9 out of 10 times. Keeping in mind there are exceptions. I will say this: I will not waste my time shooting a rifle that is not properly glass bedded wink .

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
O
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
O
I had an early B&C stock that glass bedding wouldn't help. The webbing area was so soft, it would change zero after 12-15 rds.
I won't have a rifle that won't shoot it's zero when used with a shooting sling. Usually, that means a free floated barrel, but I have a custom .280 Ruger tang safety model that is full lenth bedded that shoots as it should.
BTW, plastic stocks are usually worse for use with a shooting sling than are wood stocks. But quality fiber glass stocks are best. The above Ruger, for instance, has a McMillian stock with extra graphite.
I do have one rifle with a softer plastic stock that shoots well with a shooting sling. It's a Springfield Armory M1A. What works for it is the Safari Ching Sling. It pulls the stock down instead of to the left like most other shooting slings. E

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Yes.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Well, you can always put it through it's paces and then decide if it could stand improvement.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Talus_in_Arizona
Well, you can always put it through it's paces and then decide if it could stand improvement.

This is makes the most sense of any post on this thread. I see all these people buy a brand new gun and then start messing with the bedding and barrel channel before ever firing a shot through it. They might have just take a 1/2" gun and made it a 2" gun.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Float it and bed the lug right out the gate is how I usually run. Keep in mind, all plastics are not equal even among the same models. If it's stiff and fits properly, it may work as good as anything could. If it's super flexy, it's not going to be ideal even once bedded.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by reelman

This is makes the most sense of any post on this thread. I see all these people buy a brand new gun and then start messing with the bedding and barrel channel before ever firing a shot through it. They might have just take a 1/2" gun and made it a 2" gun.

Funny, I consider both of these posts to be the most stupid on this thread. Please continue with the asinine comments, they are a hoot.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Steelhead, While I might agree, you've made a statement without pointing out why you think these statements are asinine.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by reelman

That's probably true.

In Wisconsin.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
If it's stiff and fits properly, it may work as good as anything could. If it's super flexy, it's not going to be ideal even once bedded.

Are we still talkin' 'bout stocks? confused

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My new Hawkeye All Weather appears to be fully bedded, but I haven't tried to slip anything between the stock and barrel yet. I'm definitely going to shoot it before screwing with it. Those stocks are pretty stiff so I'm not worried about it slapping the barrel under .243 recoil, but it's possible that one or the other may shift from heat. My pre64 .270 shot very well fully bedded, and stayed sighted-in once I sealed the wood properly.

Whatever works, works for me.

What fresh Hell is this?
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
If a gun is shooting great out of the box why mess with it?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Depends on the stock.
Early plastic Remington 700 stocks were only good for the sling swivels and recoil pad. Otherwise it was land fill. There is no resurrection for those. Next there are stocks that are already as good as can be and glass bedding is redundant.

Others, bedding and free floating is a good thing.

Just like old ladies underwater, it depends.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

690 members (160user, 117LBS, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 69 invisible), 2,876 guests, and 1,175 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,160
Posts18,465,139
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.