Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Tarkio Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Heading to Canada for my annual trip fishing in northern SK so I am getting gear set up. Typically catching mostly northerns. If we portage a couple lakes away, we get to chase walleyes.

I have been using braided line, either 20# or 30#. Looking to see what guys are using and what's working.

Suggestions??

Montana MOFO
GB1

J
JDK Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Power Pro on spinning and Power Pro or Suffix on conventional.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by JDK
Power Pro on spinning and Power Pro or Suffix on conventional.

This.

Also just ordered a bulk spool of PP Maxquatro 20# test but have not tried it yet.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
T
Tarkio Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T

Thinking I have been using Powerpro 30#.

I'm going back to 30#. Last year I had 20# spooled up and had more breakoffs than ever.

Montana MOFO
J
JDK Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Tarkio

Thinking I have been using Powerpro 30#.

I'm going back to 30#. Last year I had 20# spooled up and had more breakoffs than ever.

My buddy's son used 30 pound Suffix Advanced Braid on his spinning rod this past week. He had a ton of issues when using glider type baits, ranging from wind knots or giant tangled messes. A quick switch to PP ended that. There were no issues using Suffix on conventional reels and the same type of baits. I don't know why, maybe it is too subtle?

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I recently started to use powerpro 30# and I have to say it's amazing stuff!

really sensitive and strong as can be. it's all I'll use from now on.

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What reel are you using it on?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I use Suffix 832 exclusively and I'm constantly fishing northern SK. That combined with titanium leaders is my go to for pike. If I'm targeting walleye specifically I'll add a fluorocarbon leader. Most of the time I don't even bother with a fluorocarbon leader. Northern SK walleye don't seem to play by the same finicky rules.

SS

"To be glad of life because it gives you a chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars. To be satisfied with your possessions but not content with yourself until you have made the best of them."
-Henry Van Dyke
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Im not crazy about power pro its to limp, I have used suffix which is what I like the best and many others on casting gear and they all handle about the same to me. The wost handling braid on the planet is stren but its what I use cause the only time I use braid is for frog fishing mats and short arm spinnerbaits at night and the stren glows under a black light. It casts like $hit but its easier to work your lure at night when you can see your line. Honestly breaking heavy braid isnt going to be an issue with any brand. For spinning tackle there are much better options, nanofil or fireline is hands down better on spinning reels.

Last edited by seal_billy; 06/24/16.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Braid is not very resistant to teeth, so use a decent leader. I like a few feet of 30-50# mono or fluro.

Power pro is the only braid I've used on spinning reels, 10# on the lw's and 20# on the medium. I haven't had any problems with it.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Seal Billy, have you tried 8-20lb braid on spinning?

Wonder what lb nanofil and fireline, and size of reel?

T
Tarkio Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by 65BR
What reel are you using it on?

I just bought a lightly used Curado and I have another baitcaster Shimano reel.

Will also be on some Shimano spinning reels.

We use steel leaders for the pike. Friend who has fished there for years usually doesn't use any leader. Just reties his spoons regularly. As he sees a little abrasion, cuts it off and reties.

SS, where do you get titanium leaders? Which brand?

I had a leader puke on me once right in front of my eyes as I was trying to land my son's fish, which would've been the biggest fish caught where we go for the year. As I pulled the fish up and I was reaching down for him, the leader end just came apart and the fish slid straight back down, tail first, into the water,

Montana MOFO
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Seal Billy, have you tried 8-20lb braid on spinning?

Wonder what lb nanofil and fireline, and size of reel?

I have tried all kinds of braid on spinning reels over the years. I cant remember what lb tests and brands. Its been fireline after I quit using braid till the last 3 or 4 years which has been nanofil. I use the nanofil on size 30 pflueger reels. I have a pflueger arbor that is REALLY good with superline and florocarbon and mono flies off it like butter, I also have a size 30 pflueger supreme that is great so far but I have only had it about a year. Nano works on it great too but the arbor handles any line type better than any reel i have used. I have 12# nano on it right now and 8# invizx seagar floro on the spare spool. The arbor really shines with floro, any ol spinning reel works great with naonfil. With the Arbor its the indian, with the nanofil its the arrow, great reel vs great line.

When I do use braid its frog fishing and deep spinner baiting at night and I throw braid on old ambassaduer 3600 reels, they are tylor made for braid and very small.

Molestache Larry will be by in a few to debunk my humble thoughts about the matter with retarded lingo and dip$hit logic, stay tuned.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks. I run a 20 and a few 25 Pfluegers mostly. Have a shimano 1000

Plan to try some 10# PP I have. 15# Spiderwire did not impress, in function and durability over time. Seems inferior to PP. Hear good stuff on 832. Buddy runs nanofil 4, ultra thin but loses a few fish on break offs and also knot slippage. Seems too thin at times. No leader. Mostly crappie.

Thanks.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Colorado1135
I recently started to use powerpro 30# and I have to say it's amazing stuff!

really sensitive and strong as can be. it's all I'll use from now on.

Bait cast or spinning?

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Thanks. I run a 20 and a few 25 Pfluegers mostly. Have a shimano 1000

Plan to try some 10# PP I have. 15# Spiderwire did not impress, in function and durability over time. Seems inferior to PP. Hear good stuff on 832. Buddy runs nanofil 4, ultra thin but loses a few fish on break offs and also knot slippage. Seems too thin at times. No leader. Mostly crappie.

Thanks.

4lb nano is to light. It has no stretch so it snaps. I tie a knot i made up and have no trouble with slippage. I also tie a mono or floro leader to give a little cushion. The leader also helps so you dont lose as many fish. Tied directly to super line I lose more fish. I too have a pflueger 25 and 3 shimano 1000s. I love the 25 for gill fishing. The 1000s are a disapointment. I have a symetre a saros and a stradic and the only one that is in good smooth operation is the saros. Im done with shimano, i used to be their biggest fan but no more.

Last edited by seal_billy; 06/25/16.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I am absolutely sold on Nanofil for spinning reels. It's just awesome.

I still have one or two spinning reels with 20# PowerPro, and it is fine. But when that gets replaced, it'll be with Nanofil.

I use PowerPro or Suffix on my casting reels with no complaints.

I use a 10-foot leader with braid, either mono or fluoro in a pound test to match the braid. Not only does the extra length mean I can do more reties before needing a new leader, but it also gives me a little stretch for cushion.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I been using Power Pro on everything for about the last 10 years.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Spiderwire Stealth-Braid 20 lb works great for me on big bass. And I use their 15lb stuff on my ultra light spinning rigs for bass and crappie for jig fishing..
I can cast just as far and have less tangles then when I used to use 6 lb Trilene XL.
My nephew caught a 11 pound Bass earlier this year on the Spidewire 15lb.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Strictly a power pro guy.

stradic

Typically 30-50lb

Me

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

697 members (117LBS, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 01Foreman400, 73 invisible), 2,842 guests, and 1,165 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,160
Posts18,465,139
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.