Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
U.S. 7th Cavalry takes a whipping in Montana from the Lakota, Cheyenne, and Arapaho tribes.

[Linked Image]

June 25, 1876

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There are so many interesting sides to this story and the multitude of sub-stories. About twenty five years ago, I spent a couple of years of my spare time researching everything I could find. Since then, forensic archeology has added even more layers to the plot. Wish I could get back into it, but the urge is just not there anymore...

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Since then, forensic archeology has added even more layers to the plot.

Pot smoking, college indoctrinated, horse scared, gun ignorant archaeologists will most definitively add another dimension.

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by watch4bear
Since then, forensic archeology has added even more layers to the plot.

Pot smoking, college indoctrinated, horse scared, gun ignorant archaeologists will most definitively add another dimension.

Actually Dr Doug Scott is heavy into Winchesters.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Custer was long overdue and had it coming.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by mudhen
There are so many interesting sides to this story and the multitude of sub-stories. About twenty five years ago, I spent a couple of years of my spare time researching everything I could find. Since then, forensic archeology has added even more layers to the plot. Wish I could get back into it, but the urge is just not there anymore...

All just a waste of time - everyone knows that Lee Harvey Osawld killed them all.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Someone who is capable of such things should post a version of "Gary Owen".

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Shrapnel?

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by sharpsguy
Custer was long overdue and had it coming.

You gotta' love ignorance.

We are only a few months away from significant historical documentation of little known or investigated aspects of the battle and aftermath. It is amazing how much people that don't know anything, know so much...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
These New Age historians will have their say but it won't change the fact that Custer was no coward.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Vine DeLorean's book does seem a little weak under further review...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Custer had a taste of what retirement was like. He was an arrogant fool that wanted to die in battle instead of a rocking chair. He knew this was his last battle going into it. He died with what glory he could on the battle field.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mtnsnake
He knew this was his last battle going into it. He died with what glory he could on the battle field.

An Historical reference to this would help this comment. Custer had all the confidence that he could capture enough non-combatants to bring the Indians to their knees. It was done before and he could do it again.

If you do research Indians and Indian wars, you will understand more of the tactics of the Battle. References to the traditional hearsay of the Washita campaign without studying, much less understanding what went on, people continue to use that as an attack on Custer, yet they don't even know why or how it happened.

It would be better to learn more of Custer and the Civil War as well as his Indian campaigns on the plains before commenting about him being foolish, stupid and many other borrowed comments...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Some one who is capable of such things should post a version of "Gary Owen".

Here's a short 2-minute version. Vocals for first minute only, drums & fifes follow.
[video:youtube]IKI4GQ4c9g0[/video]
Just for fun:
[video:youtube]xWGAdzn5_KU[/video]
--Bob

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Custer did a lot of things, but what he didn't do was ride willy-nilly into that battle.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Is it true a horse mia from the battle showed up in a livery stable in Kansas City on its own?

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Always an interesting topic to me.
There is quite a bit of info out there written by people who were there or knew people who witnessed it to get the picture.
Custer's biggest fear was that the Indians would "skedaddle" before he could get to them.
Just got done reading a documentation on Sitting Bull after he surrendered. "Sitting Bull, Prisoner of War", by Dennis Pope, published by the South Dakota State Historical Society Press.
He wouldn't say much about his battles with white men, but what he did say was the number of warriors at LBH was greatly exaggerated. 2000 at most.
Sitting Bull did not want to fight, quoted here.

"...I never stood in the white man's country. I never committed any depredations in the white man's country. I never made the white man's heart bleed. The white man came on my land and followed me. The white man made me fight for my hunting grounds. The white man made me kill him or he would kill my friends, my women, my children."

The book is documentation, not speculation, about his time as a prisoner at Ft Randall. I read things and saw a few pictures I hadn't seen or heard before.

Sitting Bull repeatedly said all he wanted was to be left alone in his own country to hunt and roam at will, and to trade with the white man.

After the first day of fighting at LBH many were sick of killing, he told the warriors enough people had been killed. He said they could have killed the remaining troops on the bluff (Reno), but knew other soldiers were coming and needed to get the women and children to safety so the whole camp was moved to the southwest to the mountains, then south along the foothills east of the Bighorns for some distance. Then circling counter-clockwise all the way up to what is now northwest SD to the slim buttes country at the headwaters of the Grand River. That fall they moved back to the Powder River country and spent the winter at the headwaters of the Powder.

Sitting Bull was quite the celebrity while prisoner, he even sold his autograph for one silver dollar a crack.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by shrapnel

We are only a few months away from significant historical documentation of little known or investigated aspects of the battle and aftermath. ..

shrap, can you expand on this, please?

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Custer did a lot of things, but what he didn't do was ride willy-nilly into that battle.

Actually, that's exactly what he did. Custer was not a strategist or tactician. His favored tactic was a headlong charge into the enemy. He was a brave man but was last or nearly so in his class at West Point. As Shrapnel said, this tactic served him well at the Washita and he hoped to re-create that success at the Little Bighorn. Before the Washita, Chivington had used it successfully at Sand Creek in Colorado during the war. The US Army specifically targeted the hostile's families and commissary.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I was their yesterday and it was pretty neat place to visit. Just seeing it and seeing what those troopers had to go through was something else.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

643 members (160user, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 1973cb450, 71 invisible), 2,976 guests, and 1,214 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,263
Posts18,467,116
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.