Hop To
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
#11271243 06/25/16
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Hey Men, which 10mm do you like on the 1911 platform?

I'm leaning towards the RIA double stack, can anyone tell me if this model is one that offers more support on the case head?

Thanks,
Gunner

Trump Won!
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd go Dan Wesson, Colt, or Kimber - in that order.

If I wanted a double stack 10, it'd be a Glock or an EAA.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
+1 on the DW...wish I had found it first!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I owned a Kimber Stainless Target for a few years and shot it quite a bit; I was very happy with the dependability and accuracy with a variety of handloads. Two things I didn't like about it as it came in the box: It came with a standard 16.5 pound recoil spring (which I quickly replaced with a 22-pound spring); and it had an extended ejector. I'm not sure why Kimber used that combination, unless they thought everybody was using Short & Weak loads. Until I replaced the ejector with a standard length one I was spending a lot of money on bus fare to travel and pick up my empties.

I sold the Kimber to a friend a few months ago because I bought a Dan Wesson Silverback. OH MAMA! No changes needed there!

I think the original Colt Delta Elites were a joke if you planned on a steady diet of actual 10mm loads. Of course, Colt built a lot of junk during that time period. I don't have any experience with current production Deltas.

I'm curious as to how well the RIA would hold up under a steady diet of 10mm. The few people bragging on their RIA 10mms on various forums don't strike me as high-volume shooters or handloaders.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Thanks men, sorry to start something then have to run off, I was summoned by wifey to the pea patch, gotdamn it's humid out there today.cry grin

Think I saw a DW Razorback in 10mm listed the other day somewhere for about 1400 bucks iirc.

Don't know if I can get by the double stack option, reason is, a bud is after my Sig 226 tac-ops in 40 cal, if I sell, I may as well go up in power with equal capacity.

Trump Won!
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yeah, but with the 10mm you don't need the extra capacity, because you only have to shoot it/them once. grin

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
If they'll stand still long enough. laugh laugh

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Mesabi
I owned a Kimber Stainless Target for a few years and shot it quite a bit; I was very happy with the dependability and accuracy with a variety of handloads. Two things I didn't like about it as it came in the box: It came with a standard 16.5 pound recoil spring (which I quickly replaced with a 22-pound spring); and it had an extended ejector. I'm not sure why Kimber used that combination, unless they thought everybody was using Short & Weak loads. Until I replaced the ejector with a standard length one I was spending a lot of money on bus fare to travel and pick up my empties.

I sold the Kimber to a friend a few months ago because I bought a Dan Wesson Silverback. OH MAMA! No changes needed there!

I think the original Colt Delta Elites were a joke if you planned on a steady diet of actual 10mm loads. Of course, Colt built a lot of junk during that time period. I don't have any experience with current production Deltas.

I'm curious as to how well the RIA would hold up under a steady diet of 10mm. The few people bragging on their RIA 10mms on various forums don't strike me as high-volume shooters or handloaders.

Dang Mesabi, I missed this post, Thanks, a lot of good info here, will definitely have to find a 10mm that offers the most case head support, still don't know if any listed above are the ones that offer that, have heard the same on the older Colt DE's, I'll most certainly load my 10mm like a 10mm.

Trump Won!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Didn't figure you'd be using many powder-puff loads! The Kimber and Dan Wesson both have ramped barrels with good case head support, far more than the Colt.

I also wanted an adjustable rear sight on my guns just because of the variety of loads I was running through them. (I've settled on a 180 grain Gold Dot at 1200 fps as a "standard".)

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Correct, didn't settle for powder puff on that little LW Commander in 38 Super you sold me either, 125 gr copper Barns' at 1341 are the real deal. smile

That's what I was looking for and didn't know it, ramped vs non-ramped, 180 GD's at 1200 would be a damn good place to be for SD I'd wager.

Trump Won!
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
XTP's work good, too. They can both be pushed harder, but the increased recoil/decreased controllability and possible increased wear on the gun isn't worth it to me... Besides, I don't think that anything that needs shooting is going to notice a 100 fps difference.

I probably DO need to try a Barnes copper in the 10mm, just in the interest of science and mankind's development. wink

Last edited by Mesabi; 06/26/16.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
10-4 on the XTP's they are a helluva bullet, and agreed on the -100, they wont care too debate it. laugh

The Barnes will let you shoot a softer recoiling lighter bullet with equal or in some cases better penetration, they are near or at the top of barrier penetration across the caliber spectrum too.

Trump Won!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
And they're so expensive, you can't afford to miss!

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Colt just updated the delta with a beavertail, Novaks, and an extended thumb safety. I have always wanted a delta, but didn't want to send another gun off to get all that stuff done. Now it comes with everything from the factory.

I'm not sure if the lack of a ramped barrel is a problem. Underwoods sells a delta load that is a 1801240 whereas the regular loading is a 1801300. Not sure the extra 60fps is that big of a deal. I am sure the Dan Wesson is nice as well. If I wanted a double stack I would (and did) get a Glock.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
But Safariman said that his Phirripine RIA was just as nice as all the more expensive custom and semi custom 10s on the market. wink

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
The DW Siverback is sure a nice gun and is should be for $1800 or so dollars.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you're wanting double stack and a fully supported chamber, then it's the EAA Witness 10mm or a Glock with an aftermarket barrel.

America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The sti perfect ten.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
And they're so expensive, you can't afford to miss!

laugh, WORD!

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
K1500, I have always thought the Colt to be the nicest looking gun, but, I will try like hell to avoid the brass smiley faces, that chit makes me nervous. eek

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by TheKid
But Safariman said that his Phirripine RIA was just as nice as all the more expensive custom and semi custom 10s on the market. wink

Dat cat said a lotta chit, just wish I could have been able to believe it.

Trump Won!
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
the bear story with the mile long cable was the best!

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by jimmyp
The DW Siverback is sure a nice gun and is should be for $1800 or so dollars.

Yes, it is, but, for about 1350/1400 bet that Razorback 10 would treat ya right too.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G

He must not have known that a mile of 5/8's cable would have to weigh near or over 10,000 lbs. grin

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by 4ager
If you're wanting double stack and a fully supported chamber, then it's the EAA Witness 10mm or a Glock with an aftermarket barrel.

Dang, not much choice there, may have to look at xp100's suggestion, Thanks XP.

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gunner500

The EAA is a VERY well made variant of the CZ75. Damned good pistol.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

He must not have known that a mile of 5/8's cable would have to weigh near or over 10,000 lbs. grin

I thought it was 2 full miles of cable.

And his story about his keltec sure 16 being better than an M4 was awesome

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
So I have tried 2 G20's, several different triggers. You just cannot get a great trigger pull in a glock. So I am trying a 44 magnum this time. If it does not work out I will just sell the house and buy a silverback.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G

EAA as in Witness?

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

EAA as in Witness?

Yep

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by gitem_12

I thought it was 2 full miles of cable.

And his story about his keltec sure 16 being better than an M4 was awesome

They were good for many laughs in their desperate states of complicity. laugh

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
So I have tried 2 G20's, several different triggers. You just cannot get a great trigger pull in a glock. So I am trying a 44 magnum this time. If it does not work out I will just sell the house and buy a silverback.

You best check with Mrs. JP first. shocked ;]

Trump Won!
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
If you get an EAA my experience is that you should steer well shy of the polymer framed models, I've had several of the poly 10mms come through the shop that were unreliable garbage. The all steel ones are ammo eating machines, very nice pistols.

Having heard you're a rather big fellow Gunner you might look at the 3rd Gen S&Ws. They are all SS and the one I have is as reliable as a claw hammer. They're just big.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Para-Ordinance made one.

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
I know it's not a 1911 but Cabelas has a nice used Sig P220 Elite 10mm and there's a 10% off sale till the 4th.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Jerry, as much as you like your P226 you really should look at the P220 10, and I believe they make it in a single action Only model

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Not 100%, but I believe the 220 that Cabelas has is a SAO. It doesn't have the de-cocker lever soooo... ?

[Linked Image]

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I actually just sold my P220 Elite 10mm. Nice gun, but I prefer the 1911.

The Colt Deltas tend to be very reliable, and less fussy about mags & ammo than other guns. They do not have fully supported chambers so the heaviest loads are risky. I've owned 4 of them over the years.

The Kimbers do have fully supported chambers. They also have MIM parts and will likely need some tuning to correct fussy feeding.

The DW's are better made, and have better sights IMO - the Silverback is a real neat design - it borrows a lot of styling tips from Nighthawk. I agree the Silverback is a neat choice...The Nighthawks are more highly finished, and arguably are the best of them all.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If you get an EAA my experience is that you should steer well shy of the polymer framed models, I've had several of the poly 10mms come through the shop that were unreliable garbage. The all steel ones are ammo eating machines, very nice pistols.

Having heard you're a rather big fellow Gunner you might look at the 3rd Gen S&Ws. They are all SS and the one I have is as reliable as a claw hammer. They're just big.
I've owned a lot of 10mm's. Gunner didn't ask about other-than-1911-designs, but since we're there, the 1006 is the best 10mm IMO.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
the Colt Delta is a neat gun, I wonder what types of loads are not acceptable to shoot in them? Are they beyond the max loads you find in a reloading manual? For instance would a 200 grain XTP with 12.5 grains of #9 and 37,000PSI be too much (from Ramshot data). There are 40 Smith and wessons that have higher pressures than that and with this load your shooting a 200 grain bullet at almost 1200 fps.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards

I've owned a lot of 10mm's. Gunner didn't ask about other-than-1911-designs, but since we're there, the 1006 is the best 10mm IMO.

The 1006 is just a beast. Single-stack, heavy, but will gobble up anything you feed it and always come back for more. Stone axe reliable, and nicely accurate.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Delta's are very pretty guns, but that's about all they've got going for them. The Delta in polished stainless is just beautiful.

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
P
The only 10mm I have owned that I had any trouble with was a RIA which would jam frequently. I have had a Delta Elite and a DW Bobtail Commander that were excellent. The DW fed everything I put in it. I am still waiting on Sig to produce their 1911 in 10mm which according to their rep should be soon

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
1911 10mm?

The very thought of those 2 words together, reviles me.

MM

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Gunner,

Due to the generally good reviews (excluding safaiman's as it was probably all bullshit) I picked up a new RIA 10mm, single stack. It was my second RIA, the first being a 9mm... which functioned 100%. I'd looked at the Dan Wesson's but wasn't sure I wanted to invest that much coin as I wasn't sure the 10mm was a cartridge I would stay with (I've got and am a big fanboy of the 45 Super).

But back to my RIA 10mm... the magazine falls out every one to 5 rounds (yes I tried a diff. mag.), other than that it fails to feed approx. every 4 or 5 rounds. I'm not worried as RIA reputedly has semi-decent customer service so I am confident they will make it right. Still it is one of the few gun purchases I regret. Next time I'll buy once and cry once. If I go 10mm again it will be a S&W 1006, Sig or Dan Wesson.

Dan Wesson does their 1911's in batches, if the supply of 10mm's is low... you will have to wait a few months or so.

Jerry

Si vis pacem, para bellum
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by pacecars
The only 10mm I have owned that I had any trouble with was a RIA which would jam frequently. I have had a Delta Elite and a DW Bobtail Commander that were excellent. The DW fed everything I put in it. I am still waiting on Sig to produce their 1911 in 10mm which according to their rep should be soon

I would be very interested in a SIG external extractor 1911/10mm with target sights, I might have to get one of those anyway. I am glad I passed on the RIA 10mm!!!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have nothing bad to say about my Kimber Stainless Target II in 10mm, although others might.

I had a electroless nickel Witness Compact for a time. I would advise against one of those. It never did work right and EAA basically told me to go pound sand when I asked them to make it right. I do not believe that pistol has enough slide mass to handle the 10mm. It would sling empties an easy 40 feet. I don't know if it was my shooting technique,or whatever, but it would occasionally staple you right in the forehead with one of those cases...it WOULD leave a mark.

Let us know how that RIA works out for you.

Last edited by kciH; 06/27/16.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." TJ

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing". EB

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Follow your heart but until you own a Delta you're just another loser roaming the earth.

Clark

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
N
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N

I would be very interested in a SIG external extractor 1911/10mm with target sights, I might have to get one of those anyway. I am glad I passed on the RIA 10mm!!!

I believe you'll see it sooner than you think.

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by deflave
Follow your heart but until you own a Delta you're just another loser roaming the earth.

Clark

Very true for some.

The Delta Elite is hard to beat. Especially the newest version.

There are some tricks that make it better. The newest version comes with Colt's two spring system. Replace those springs with a Wolf single unit. A full length guide rod helps in my experience also. When Colt used a single spring, it was a 23# spring. Wolf sells a 20#,22# and 24# for this gun. I have had the best luck with the 20# spring when using a square bottom firing pin stop in conjunction.

Hand loading the 10mm.
Use Star Brass only. They use a different grain structure along with heat treating for the 10mm, .460 Rowland and a couple others. Do everything possible to eliminate bullet setback. Clean your fired case completely. Use a polished expander plug to reduce it another .001 or .002. The coke bottle step after seating the bullet is a good thing.

My Delta Elite works well with any jacketed or hard cast bullet that I have tried.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I would agree with Gibby's advice, be careful when loading 10mm - also when shooting it!

Mike

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Thanks for the tips Kid, but I'll stay with a 1911 of some sort or other.

10-4 on the canuck model Viking, it's probably better than the RIA. grin

Tmitch, got a local dealer that said for me to come by and handle the Sigs, he's got shelves of em in stock! smile

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by gitem_12
Jerry, as much as you like your P226 you really should look at the P220 10, and I believe they make it in a single action Only model

Have to have one without the rail G-12, I'll check em out.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal

The Colt Deltas tend to be very reliable, and less fussy about mags & ammo than other guns. They do not have fully supported chambers so the heaviest loads are risky. I've owned 4 of them over the years.

The Kimbers do have fully supported chambers. They also have MIM parts and will likely need some tuning to correct fussy feeding.

The DW's are better made, and have better sights IMO - the Silverback is a real neat design - it borrows a lot of styling tips from Nighthawk. I agree the Silverback is a neat choice...The Nighthawks are more highly finished, and arguably are the best of them all.

Thanks for all that Tex, did your 220-10mm shoot well?

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Have heard for years the 1006's were tanks EE, but, I'm ugly enough, got to have a pretty guns and a pretty wife to offset.laugh

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G

Damn, I was scared I was gonna hear that, thanks pacecars, that might save a man some money on a re-buy. cry

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
1911 10mm?

The very thought of those 2 words together, reviles me.

MM

Yeah, like:
1911/9mm
1911/40S&W

But none are as bad as:

demotardsinvading/Montana

45ACP/Glock sick sick

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Gotdamn!, strike two on the ria's, thanks JWW.

Looking like DW, or bite hard and get a Nighthawk, or STI.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Thanks kciH, bleve I'm spooked offa the RIA's for now.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G

Clark

Thanks for the heartfelt conveyance.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Appreciate the groundwork tips Gibby, going to try and buy something that doesn't need to be made better, the loading and brass info will be stored. smile

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Mikewriter
I would agree with Gibby's advice, be careful when loading 10mm - also when shooting it!

Mike

Thanks Mike, will do.

Trump Won!
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Safariman loved his.

So technically it's 3 strikes.

Dave

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Mikewriter

Mike

Thanks Mike, will do.

I blew the mag out the bottom of mine right out of the gate.

It hurt.

Dave

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Thanks for all that Tex, did your 220-10mm shoot well?

It did, I just find I prefer the 1911 over the Sig. Crimson Tide shot it at the Hog Hunt and was hitting stuff at 100 yards quite easily.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
after all this talk of bullet set back, bottleneck and subsizing the case I am wondering if indeed the 44 or 41 mags make more sense....

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Appreciate the groundwork tips Gibby, going to try and buy something that doesn't need to be made better, the loading and brass info will be stored. smile

Those gun tips are good with any 1911 to make them better. After all, John Browning designed the gun for half the working pressure. The square bottom firing pin stop was actually in his first design. The pussy's in the Calvary could not cock the slide back while on horseback. He then put the radius on the stop.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G

Safariman loved his.

So technically it's 3 strikes.

Dave

And strike three is easily the BIGGEST strike in a quickly approaching quartet. sick laugh

Bet that mag leaving would turn a hornets sting into straight poosie.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Damn 10-4 Tex, that don't tell me much though, everyone knows CT shoots a handgun like most do a rifle, rockchucker does too. cry grin

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
after all this talk of bullet set back, bottleneck and subsizing the case I am wondering if indeed the 44 or 41 mags make more sense....

10mm wouldn't bother me at all JP, now were I loading for a 357 Sig, I'd have to get tips from a bud of mine that rolls his 357 Sig bullets on some kind of a glue pad before loading, no chit.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Gibby

Those gun tips are good with any 1911 to make them better. After all, John Browning designed the gun for half the working pressure. The square bottom firing pin stop was actually in his first design. The pussy's in the Calvary could not cock the slide back while on horseback. He then put the radius on the stop.

laugh, Lock those legs out straight, lean forward a bit with reigns in teeth and give her a quick yank!

Trump Won!
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
That would have worked. I wish Ingwe knew that. He was there back in those days.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Ya, but they couldn't keep him away from the wagon axle hubs and lard buckets. eek shocked laugh

Trump Won!
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Which one are you thinking of getting?

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Right now trying to convince myself Nighthawk.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Wait for the Sig....

RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The RIA sounds to be a better weapon than my Auto Ordinance 45, I would be inclined to determine what exactly, are the problems before I wrote it off. Could be crappy mags, rough feedramp, incorrect recoil spring.

Dave

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
10-4, may do, gonna be hard enough to sell my 40 to that whining ass buddy of mine anyway!

140 gr copper barns' at 1250 in a 40 ain't gonna feel good either, oughta just keep it, got 300 of those sombucks already hand loaded up.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by RDW
The RIA sounds to be a better weapon than my Auto Ordinance 45, I would be inclined to determine what exactly, are the problems before I wrote it off. Could be crappy mags, rough feedramp, incorrect recoil spring.

10-4 RDW, but damn, I like a SD gun to run right, from the get go.

Trump Won!
RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Gotcha, and good point, I do like my G20 and a drop-in 38 Super barrel is cheap wink

Dave

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
call me an enabler...

Silverback:

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/568054314

There's several Nighthawk 10mm's on GB right now, but this one is probably my favorite. Note the similarity between the NH rear sight and the Silverback's

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/567822900

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I think the original Colt Delta Elites were a joke if you planned on a steady diet of actual 10mm loads. Of course, Colt built a lot of junk during that time period.

Sure got that right!

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Good choice smile

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by RDW
Gotcha, and good point, I do like my G20 and a drop-in 38 Super barrel is cheap wink

Now I'm backtracking, another friend of mine told me about how well his brothers RIA 10mm runs, sposed to be reasonably accurate and dead nuts reliable.

I called my gunsmith/ffl buddy, he can get me the RIA 10mm #52009 double stack out the door for 625 bucks.crazy

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
call me an enabler...

Silverback:

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/568054314

There's several Nighthawk 10mm's on GB right now, but this one is probably my favorite. Note the similarity between the NH rear sight and the Silverback's

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/567822900

Nice pistolas Tex, but, I gotta run the Novaks on a carry gun, the bo-mar style sure are big and bulky, even had em dehorned on my old trophy match, still didnt like em.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G

Good choice smile

That would be an immediate and simple end to all the guesswork, I'd have too, a man would be starring numb after writing a check that big for a pistol. crazy grin

Whats the saying? buy once/cry once.

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RDW

Now I'm backtracking, another friend of mine told me about how well his brothers RIA 10mm runs, sposed to be reasonably accurate and dead nuts reliable.

I called my gunsmith/ffl buddy, he can get me the RIA 10mm #52009 double stack out the door for 625 bucks.crazy

When have you EVER gone for cheap schit when you can get FAR better?

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Never, and precisely why these 14 hour days kicked my butt over the last week or so, We work our ass' off for our toys! grin

Trump Won!
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by RDW

On the advice of 2 of my friends, who own the EAA 10mm, I got the Tangfoglio Witness steel 10mm for $600 OTD, not too long ago, and am very pleased with it. It will replace my 357mag in the woods. I can shoot it more accurately than the 357, and 15 rounds can't complain. I have not tried the hard cast ammo as yet, but will do soon.
I have a Kimber 1911 in 45, and love it, but I couldn't justify the expense of one in 10mm with my budget. The EAA is built like a tank, and will cover woods carry just fine. its like carrying a Govt 1911 in wt.

Last edited by Wyogal; 07/02/16.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Dang-it Gunner! Your a bad Influence! wink And now you've got me thinking about buying another dadgum 10mm cool

I've already got all 3 Glock models in 10mm plus a Kimber Match 10mm 1911 and the new version of the Colt Delta. But I did not know until this thread that RIA has a new double stack 1911 in 10mm! And after checking on GunBroker just now, I see RIA is also making a Commander size 1911 10mm. So now I can't decide which one to buy yet grin

Also have a couple of close friends that own RIA 10mm and they both swear by them. Another bud has the EAA steel framed 10mm Match or Target 10mm. I'm not a EAA fan, but I was really impressed with his when I shot it. Very accurate and seemed very reliable to. Personally, I wouldn't hesitate to buy either.

And as a side note, if your not already hand loading for 10mm, I suggest you stock up on AA-9 powder and Hornady 200 gr XTP bullets. All of my current 10mm's love that combo with max loads, and it's sure death on big feral hogs at the Ranch!

Last edited by chlinstructor; 07/02/16.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I took my old Para 16/40 and fit a Bar-Sto 10 mm barrel and bushing. Shoots great with zero mag mods needed. A switch barrel piece.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Grab the RIA and if it runs, keep it.

If not, try-try again.

Clark

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Have heard a lot of good things regarding the EAA 10's Wyogal, me personally, I just can't get past that hard Euro look, I love the way a 1911 feels in hand and shoots.

It's my favorite of all even though it's the only model I've had a few functionality issues with.

And yes, 15 rounds of fast and accurate 10mm would be hard to trump with six 357 mags.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

Dang-it Gunner! Your a bad Influence! wink And now you've got me thinking about buying another dadgum 10mm cool

I've already got all 3 Glock models in 10mm plus a Kimber Match 10mm 1911 and the new version of the Colt Delta. But I did not know until this thread that RIA has a new double stack 1911 in 10mm! And after checking on GunBroker just now, I see RIA is also making a Commander size 1911 10mm. So now I can't decide which one to buy yet grin

Also have a couple of close friends that own RIA 10mm and they both swear by them. Another bud has the EAA steel framed 10mm Match or Target 10mm. I'm not a EAA fan, but I was really impressed with his when I shot it. Very accurate and seemed very reliable to. Personally, I wouldn't hesitate to buy either.

And as a side note, if your not already hand loading for 10mm, I suggest you stock up on AA-9 powder and Hornady 200 gr XTP bullets. All of my current 10mm's love that combo with max loads, and it's sure death on big feral hogs at the Ranch!

laugh CHLI, ALL this is my beggin buds damn fault, I was perfectly content and liked [still do] my Sig 40 cal for my hi-cap pistol till he came along whining to buy my dang gun.grin

That pitiful show of his set all this 10MM crap in motion. cry laugh

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by EdM
I took my old Para 16/40 and fit a Bar-Sto 10 mm barrel and bushing. Shoots great with zero mag mods needed. A switch barrel piece.

That'll work EdM, sounds like a nice set-up, and 10-4 on the turn and possible burn Clark.

Trump Won!
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Anything a 40 will do, a 10 can do better.....

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide

Yep, but when I am a lazy azz I throw on the 40 barrel and shoot remanufactured stuff through it. grin

Conduct is the best proof of character.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G

I believes ya CT, I'm having a nice tomato beer right now, you in arms length of a COLD PBR? laugh

Trump Won!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

No doubt Buddy! I haven't seen much point in having a 40 Lite ever since I bought my first 10mm years ago. Only way I'd pack a .40 S&W would be if I was a LEO and that was the caliber the agency required.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Never fooled with a 10mm CHLI, but, the limited penetration testing I've done with my 40 firing the 140 gr copper Barnes' at 1250 tells me I wouldn't want to fool around and catch one of those either, it's a little meanie for what it is buddy. smile

Trump Won!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've got an extra .40 barrel for my Glock 32 in .357 sig. I use it some at the ranch as it will feed the CCI 40 S&W shot shells slicker than goose chit.
It's the only semi-auto that I've ever seen that will reliably feed snake shot with out a hitch.
I'll have to get some of those 140 gr copper Barnes bullets and give then a try in my Glock .40 extra barrel. What powder were you loading them with?

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Sounds like a plan buddy, I load the 140 barnes' with Power Pistol and Longshot powders, both give equal velocity and accuracy.

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The G20 will feed CCI .40 S&W snake shot pretty well, too.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Have heard a lot of good things regarding the EAA 10's Wyogal, me personally, I just can't get past that hard Euro look, I love the way a 1911 feels in hand and shoots.

It's my favorite of all even though it's the only model I've had a few functionality issues with.

And yes, 15 rounds of fast and accurate 10mm would be hard to trump with six 357 mags.

I do so understand about the 1911 preference. You gotta do what works for you.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Hmmm, I haven't thought about that. I'll have to give them a try in my Glock 20 or 29.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Hmmm, I haven't thought about that. I'll have to give them a try in my Glock 20 or 29.

My G20 and G29 all did (two 20s, one 29). YMMV, but I hope not. They likely won't CYCLE because the impulse from those loads is too low, but they'll feed if you rack the slide. Never found a semi-auto that will cycle CCI snake shot reliably, regardless of chambering/cartridge.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Don't do it! Wait on the SIG, or buy a Dan Wesson. I would not bet $600 of my dollars on RIA.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For $600, get the G40 and call it good.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have one of the original Delta Elites and I have no complaints after multiple thousands of rounds of full power 10mm. Have a Glock G20 also and have no complaints. I don't rteload 1omm but I use a substantial amount of Win 175g Silvertips and Prvi Partisan 180 hp. Hot stuff No probs.

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
the Glock is a great Self Defense gun but even Ted Nuggent has moved on to a 1911 style 10mm... grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
the Glock is a great Self Defense gun but even Ted Nuggent has moved on to a 1911 style 10mm... grin

You assume that means something?

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
If you want a real 10mm, buy a Delta.

Otherwise, you need a .40.

Clark

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

After the Witness Compact experience, I'd be a bit gunshy of a Commander format 10mm

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." TJ

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing". EB

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
If you want a real 10mm, buy a Delta.

Otherwise, you need a .40.

Clark

Agree.

Get the new model and start shooting, loading and have fun. Lot of bang for the buck. It holds it's value more than the others if that even maters.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
yes 4eager, Ted and I both tried a few G20s great gun, great for Self Defense...I was going to try another one (#3) or a G40 with an edge trigger as I have tried a zev and ghost rocket in the other two I bought and sold...but was convinced that you cannot get a 1911 type trigger in the G gun no matter what you do grin So I opted for a smith 44 magnum but still want a 10mm 1911 maybe a SIG with the external extractor...should they materialize over the next few months.. smile

Last edited by jimmyp; 07/02/16.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Lordy, thanks for all the comments and experiences ladies and gentlemen, the choices are far greater than I first anticipated, they all have their certain strong points.

I do know for a fact, I want/need double stack firepower, the most support on the case head, and a Novak style rear sight.

Trump Won!
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

45 Suoer 230 XTP, 100 plus FPS and 10mm XTP, 1300 FPS plus. Same depth of penetration any questions on which one leaves the larger hole?

[Linked Image]

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Agreed JWP, I really used to lean on an all steel 5" 1911 in 45 Super, Starline Super brass and 230 gr FMJ-FP bullets at 1150 were a real eye opener, the 45 Super is a badass for sure.

On my 10mm quest, it's looking like a dang Glock with an after market barrel, that sucks, because a Glock is like aiming/gripping and trying to shoot a damn board to me, they don't fit/feel/point right in my hand.

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Gunner, try the Glock Model 40 with the longer barrel and cut for optics already. It handles and balances much differently.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Gunner, try the Glock Model 40 with the longer barrel and cut for optics already. It handles and balances much differently.

Thanks 4, a 6" gun would be a concern for concealment, no?

Trump Won!
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I saw a G19 MOS yesterday...maybe a G20 MOS is available.. smile

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I'll have to try and get a hand on one too JP. wink

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Dude, you're already a walking tank. Why worry about concealment, as you draw attention anyway. People just know you're carrying.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Maybe I'll grow a ponytail and wear tye dye t-shirts. shocked

Trump Won!
N
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N
Pics or it didn't happen...... grin

George

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
A tie-dye shirt with Peace and Love on the front, maybe a headband then a G40 in an outside holster plus 2 mag carriers forget the ponytail I am pretty sure most folks would understand

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

I really like the way my Glock 40 in 10mm points and handles! It has quickly become my favorite Glock model to shoot.
That being said, even though I'm no pip squeak at just a bit over 6' 2" & 240, I'd have a hard time concealing it unless I was wearing a giant winter parka.

My Glock 29 or a full size 1911 is about as big as I can pull off for concealment in T-shirt weather, which is 90% of the time in TX. As big as I've heard that Gunner is, he might be one of the few who can actually pull it off.

Last edited by chlinstructor; 07/03/16.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
LOL K9 and JP. laugh

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G

I really like the way my Glock 40 in 10mm points and handles! It has quickly become my favorite Glock model to shoot.
That being said, even though I'm no pip squeak at just a bit over 6' 2" & 240, I'd have a hard time concealing it unless I was wearing a giant winter parka.

My Glock 29 or a full size 1911 is about as big as I can pull off for concealment in T-shirt weather, which is 90% of the time in TX. As big as I've heard that Gunner is, he might be one of the few who can actually pull it off.

I may have just pucked it all up CHLI, I got my Sig tacops 40 out before dark last night and ran 4 mags [60 rounds] through it, probably gonna tell my buddy to forget it and keep my Sig, that damn thing shoots straight to the sights, never mind the precise shoots rested off on old Ford farm tractor fender firing at only the silhouette of the small cardboard box at way past dusk.

The gotdamn thing is accurate.
I can shoot it as good as any pistol.
It has never failed in any way.
Got near 300 140 gr Barnes TAC-HP's at 1250 fps already loaded for it.

Chit, hope I didn't waste to much of everyone's time should I decide to keep this pistol. crazy

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Oh, and I'm only 12 lbs heavier than you, you can conceal it too. laugh

Trump Won!
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

I may have just pucked it all up CHLI, I got my Sig tacops 40 out before dark last night and ran 4 mags [60 rounds] through it, probably gonna tell my buddy to forget it and keep my Sig, that damn thing shoots straight to the sights, never mind the precise shoots rested off on old Ford farm tractor fender firing at only the silhouette of the small cardboard box at way past dusk.

The gotdamn thing is accurate.
I can shoot it as good as any pistol.
It has never failed in any way.
Got near 300 140 gr Barnes TAC-HP's at 1250 fps already loaded for it.

Chit, hope I didn't waste to much of everyone's time should I decide to keep this pistol. crazy

Gunner, I have 2 Sig P226S, and more and more I find myself carrying them than anything else.

For one I shoot them very well and they are accurate...

2 when we go to amusement parks and such I generally carry in a maxpedition bag and I just feel more comfortable with a da/sa being carried in that bag as opposed to a striker fired handgun.

Carrying IWB in a sparks VM2 I don't really notice the difference between a sig or a Glock

And if I'm carrying my 9, my primary magazine is a mecgar 18 round flush fit and back it up with a 20 round mecgar

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I hear what yer sayin G-12, understand and agree, for me, one 15 rounder +1 in the gun and three 15 rounders in my back pocket is a secure feeling out and about.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Gunner.

I think you need a big male German Shepard Dog posing as a seeing eye dog to add to your "out and about" plans. He can help carry extra magazines if needed. They tend to draw attention in a way that would favor you.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
LOL on the gist, but, capacity is never a bad idea while o&a.

Trump Won!
RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Is it a done deal, G20?

Dave

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Not yet, waiting to see the Sig 1911 in 10mm when they come out.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Plus, I was filing the front sight on my Turnbull 1886 in 50-110 Winchester yesterday before dark, I'm working up a new 700 grain grease groove bullet load with black powder, I thought hmmmmm, wonder what this P226 40 cal here in my watch pocket will do at the 50 yard target?

I rested my wrists across a bag, leveled the sights and fired one single action, the 140 gr Barnes struck 2"s low and 2"s to the right of dead center, it's gonna be hard to dump this 40 for a 10.

Trump Won!
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Gunner,only the 10mm will work for you, everybody knows that a 200 grain 40 smith and wesson flat pointed lead bullet at 1000 FPS will not kill anything. smile

Technical Information

Caliber: 40 S&W
Bullet Weight: 200 Grains
Bullet Style: Hardcast Flat Nose 21 BHN
Case Type: Brass
Ballistics Information:

Muzzle Velocity: 1000 fps
Muzzle Energy: 444 ft. lbs.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
LOL, that will work too, how bout a 200 gr XTP at 1100 fps with 8 grains of VV-N105?

Straight from their 2006 load manual. wink

Trump Won!
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Yeah, you need a 10 mm, that's what all the cool kids have.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
But but I heard 1911 and 10mm together sickens some. cry grin

Trump Won!
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by EvilTwin
I have one of the original Delta Elites and I have no complaints after multiple thousands of rounds of full power 10mm. Have a Glock G20 also and have no complaints. I don't rteload 1omm but I use a substantial amount of Win 175g Silvertips and Prvi Partisan 180 hp. Hot stuff No probs.

Saw a guy 2 stands down from me shooting the Win 175 gr Silvertips today. He wasn't having a problem, either..

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
There's just too damn many cool guns that need buying Dirt. smile

Trump Won!
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

719 members (1936M71, 160user, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 163dm, 19rabbit52, 72 invisible), 3,096 guests, and 1,337 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,582
Posts18,454,167
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.