Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I was finally able to put together what I think is the perfect 10/22 for hunting and just general shooting. Not heavy, not tacticool, just a plain ole hunting gun. With the suppressor it balances perfect and so far has been very accurate. The only work was swapping out the parts, opening up the barrel channel, and putting a bedding pad just forward of the chamber area.

Ruger 10/22 Sporter
Shaw 16" threaded sporter barrel
1980's factory trigger group
Leupold VXI 2-7x33 Rimfire

[Linked Image]

Last edited by wareagle700; 06/26/16.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Awesome rifle. I like it. I also had one like that in a deluxe sporter walnut stock. It was stainless and shot like a house a fire. It was damn near bone stock and liked federal bulk ammo. That to me was damn near the perfect 10-22. It actually shot the el-cheapo federal bulk hp ammo as well as my target 10-22 does the sk (lapua) match ammo....
I also kept the factory irons on it because those could be used in a pinch:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
that stock has some decent figure in it. i have mine set up in a delux sporter stock too. mine sports a 20" GM sporter barrel.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by JimHnSTL
that stock has some decent figure in it. i have mine set up in a delux sporter stock too. mine sports a 20" GM sporter barrel.

I know you are replying to the OP, but I have to say one of my buddies has a GM sporter barrel on his and that is a shooting sob. At first glance, it looks like a regular ol Ruger 10-22 barrel with no sights, but damn is it a good shooter. It's a lot less finicky than my factory target barreled 10-22 too.

I have a question for the OP:

How does that baby shoot. I know you said it's a shooter, but come on now? Any targets to post? I know wareagle likes posting target pics in the AR forum. Rifle looks great!! Thanks...

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I'll try and get some groups shot this week.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks buddy. I know you are into that anyway.. laugh. I'm thinking about taking mine out here in a bit...

BSA MAGA
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I wish Urban Rifle Supply was doing the remake of the fingergroove stocks again frown

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by wareagle700
I was finally able to put together what I think is the perfect 10/22 for hunting and just general shooting. Not heavy, not tacticool, just a plain ole hunting gun. With the suppressor it balances perfect and so far has been very accurate. The only work was swapping out the parts, opening up the barrel channel, and putting a bedding pad just forward of the chamber area.

Ruger 10/22 Sporter
Shaw 16" threaded sporter barrel
1980's factory trigger group
Leupold VXI 2-7x33 Rimfire

[Linked Image]
Very nice!! Mirror's how I'd like to get mine setup someday.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Thanks buddy. I know you are into that anyway.. laugh. I'm thinking about taking mine out here in a bit...

From my sunroom, shooting out the back door, into a target at 35 yards, its just a ragged hole. Less than 1/2" at that distance. Getting it zeroed is about all I have done so far though.

Yeah, I like taking pictures so unless it shoots absolutely horrible I'll post some up here in a few days. I'll try and get one without any "flyers". grin

Last edited by wareagle700; 06/27/16.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Nice looking setup, wareagle. Always like looking at targets with tight little .22lr groups. :biggrin:

What can do you have on there?

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
IC B3

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
The one in the pic is a SilencerCo Sparrow. When it gets here, a Dead Air Mask HD will be my primary rimfire can.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Nice looking setup, wareagle. Always like looking at targets with tight little .22lr groups. :biggrin:

What can do you have on there?

I like looking at any target with tight groups and X-Ring hits. We did a "round robbin" shoot Saturday and it was damn fun, shooting everyone's target rifles. I especially like shooting the ones with the ghost ring front blades. It's cool to punch out the X-ring at 50 yards with open sights. I was in seventh heaven Saturday. Everyone left their rifles on the benches set-up for the next guy to use so I shot right handed. I brought out a POS old coast to coast rifle I've had since I was 11. That rifle brought everyone's scores down and it was a hoot. A lot of laughing and bullchitting going on, but it was fun.

BSA MAGA
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
FWIW the new style checkered no barrel band is a "deluxe sporter" and the old fingergroove '66-71 is a "sporter".

Somebody corrected me on that a while back.

There were checkered sporters, supposedly the "holy grail" of 1022's as checkering was a factory option many did not think worth the cost.

Approx 535-550 of them made.

I had a DSP from he 90's and it had good wood on it. Proly should have put a target bbl on it and kept it.

Sporter of deluxe sporter, they are nice looking rigs smile

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Seems as though great minds think alike. My favorite 10/22 to date is a factory walnut DSP sporter stock, 16 1/2" Green Mountain blue fluted sporter barrel and Volquartson search. Lightweight and stupid accurate.

WarDamnEagle
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by wareagle
Seems as though great minds think alike. My favorite 10/22 to date is a factory walnut DSP sporter stock, 16 1/2" Green Mountain blue fluted sporter barrel and Volquartson search. Lightweight and stupid accurate.

Very great minds apparently. grin

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
My 10/22 has a 20" GM Fluted barrel. It is deadly accurate.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I can't put a .920 bbl on my 1022.
Dang fingergroove wink

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by wareagle700
The one in the pic is a SilencerCo Sparrow. When it gets here, a Dead Air Mask HD will be my primary rimfire can.

Got 2 of those coming.. via the slow NFA train.

Heard through one of my providers they backed a tractor trailer load of paperwork off to NFA the other day, so plan on things moving a little slow for a while.

Trying to juggle some funds so I can get one more can (7.62) into the system before the 13th.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My ideal 10/22 is a tube fed Nylon 66. wink

I'm probably the only Fire member on here that hates the 10/22 platform.

Yes, I've had more than a few, and I know they can be remarkably accurate.
I've just never owned one that was as reliable as my Nylon 66. And to be truthful, the thing I hate the most about 10/22's is their rotary mag design.

That being said, I'm probably about to buy my first 10/22 in over 15 years!
The little Talo Exclusive Classic V Stainless version with the black walnut stock and Featherweight style forend has realLy been calling my name!
My LGS still has a few in stock that he has on a clearance sell for $325.

Here it is on Lipseys web sight http://lipseys.com/itemdetail.aspx?itemno=RUK1022RB-CV

Last edited by chlinstructor; 07/03/16.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
My favorite 10/22 is one of the stainless laminated mannlichers, the KRBIBBZ format that Ruger made for Wal-Mart about 20 years ago. I had Ahlman's checker the the stock and installed a Weaver RV9 on it.

I liked it so much that I put together a 10/22 in the same configuration with a lined barrel in 17HM2.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

402 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 160user, 1_deuce, 1lesfox, 35 invisible), 2,224 guests, and 1,035 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,494
Posts18,452,373
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.