Print Thread
Hop To
W
wildwyo Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
I am trying to plan a bit of a spur of the moment fishing trip in late August- the first week or two of September. I have a buddy in Eagle river that I can borrow a camper and a raft with a frame from and was thinking about maybe spending some time on the Kenai peninsuala. Do you guys have any suggestions for a do it yourself type of trip in that area? I am pretty open to suggestions and have even thought about trying to get flown to a forest service cabin somewhere with some good silver fishing that's accessible. I am also not against hiring a good guide for part of the trip, I am primarily a flyfisherman but have no problem rolling bait or throwing hardware if that's whats called for. Thanks in advance for anything you can share.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

We were fishing with a boat and trolling with Silver flashers, downrigger and herring for bait. We tried several different depths until we found the fish and then set the downriggers accordingly. Trolling at about 2 MPH near rock cliffs...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
When we fished for silvers, we hit the Homer Spit... BUT this was years ago.. At that time we camped near there and fished mostly though the week.. We also hired a man named DiVito to float us down the Kenai.. I am pretty sure he is out of business now, but there are others I am sure... Sounds like a great trip..

Molon Labe
W
wildwyo Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Nice fish shrapnel! I am really looking forward to doing some fishing up there, I have done a couple of dyi moose hunts but have always wanted to spend some time fishing. The stars all aligned for it this summer, I am selling out my business and am going to enjoy a bit of being unemployed this fall before I start something new. My plan is fairly loose right now, I am gonna fly my girlfriend up with me (she can row!) do a week or two with her; then depending on what elk tag I draw either come home with her or stay and go on a goat hunt with my buddy that drew a limited tag on the coast. I originally was leaning toward getting dropped off and doing a float somewhere, but my girlfriend is scared of bears so thats out!

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I'd pass on the elk and help the buddy with the goat for that answer... its country that has to be in to be appreciated.

Wife doesn't care so much for bears, we ahve them around the tent for 2 weeks every fall, but she still wouldn't miss AK for anything.

I have not fished silvers for years. Can't help there. Last one caught was out of Soldotna on teh Kenai and was decent at 21 pounds.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

W
wildwyo Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Definately gonna try and go on the goat hunt if it works out, I am pretty sure that I can still make it back in time to get in a week or two of archery elk in too.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I haven't had a chance in a few years, but liked fishing Silvers with eggs on ultralight gear, in the Kenai. What a kick. Then on the right years you can go hit Rainbows. What a fight on ultralight. Grain fun.

Shrap, those are some nice Silvers. You did good.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Tons of good DIY silvers options that time of year... and shooting a black bear that time of year is fairly easy there. Less pressure on the silvers because most are hunting by then.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
W
wildwyo Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Thanks Sitka , would it be worth trying to go out on a charter during that time frame for halibut? Do you guys have any recommendations on one of them?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I am not sure if DaninAlaska will be running halibut charters that late, but he is a great starting point. Rick Bin and I fished with him on Friday and had our usual "fantastic time with Dan." Send him a PM.

The fishing for big halibut is better later as they come into shallower water.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B3

W
wildwyo Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Thanks, I will get in touch with him.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I might know something about silvers on the Kenai.

Also at that time of year the Kasilof, Anchor, Deep creek and Ninilchik should have some decent numbers of fish. All can be fished from shore without a boat.
Spinners, flies or eggs all work, especially in the latter 3 named rivers.

"243/85TSX It's as if the HAMMER OF THOR were wielded by CHUCK NORRIS himself, and a roundhouse kick thrown in for good measure."
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 358Norma_fan
I might know something about silvers on the Kenai.

Also at that time of year the Kasilof, Anchor, Deep creek and Ninilchik should have some decent numbers of fish. All can be fished from shore without a boat.
Spinners, flies or eggs all work, especially in the latter 3 named rivers.

Careful or folks will think it is too easy...

W
wildwyo Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Thanks again guys, if any of you ever need any Wyoming info I will be glad to share.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
[quote=358Norma_fan]

Careful or folks will think it is too easy...

They're a lot easier than those kings we were looking for last weekend.

"243/85TSX It's as if the HAMMER OF THOR were wielded by CHUCK NORRIS himself, and a roundhouse kick thrown in for good measure."
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by 358Norma_fan
They're a lot easier than those kings we were looking for last weekend.

Because of numbers, eggs, or both?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yes, all of the above.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

720 members (1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1936M71, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 163dm, 74 invisible), 3,219 guests, and 1,273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,583
Posts18,454,227
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.