Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
THought I'd share my latest score. Time will tell is I made the right choice money wise but the .250-3000 really called to me and I had to have it. Worse case I sell off a few modern rifles to even the score. Wanted to see what you fellows thought.

Serial no. Top its a .303 #221705

Bottom is a .250-3000 #184145

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by savage1756; 06/26/16.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by savage1756
THought I'd share my latest score. Time will tell is I made the right choice money wise but the .250-3000 really called to me and I had to have it. Worse case I sell off a few modern rifles to even the score. Wanted to see what you fellows thought.

Serial no. Top its a .303 #221705

Bottom is a .250-3000 #184145

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Pretty hunting rifles.

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The top one is a late production 1899-A, first half of 1920 production. Now that you can buy loaded .303 Sav. ammo for a little over $20/bx. they are back into the fun shooter/hunter category.

The Model 250-3000 is probably late 1915, early 1916. Nice grain in the butt stock. Will assume that the forearm, front sight and sling swivels were added and appears to be nice work.

You have $300 plus in extra sights. I think the rear sight on the .250 is a replacement. I can't tell if it is Savage or not. Might be worth lettering. The butt stock looks original but not standard grade.

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Enlighten me. WHY would you want to letter an obviously non original hunter/shooter?

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
"Might be worth lettering. The butt stock looks original but not standard grade."

If the butt stock is not Savage then no letter needed. If it's an upgrade butt stock then there might be a chance the forearm is factory. I doubt it... but with Savage who can be sure of anything.

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I love the 250 3000 perch belly piano finish manlick her special.

Last edited by Angus1895; 06/26/16.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Angus1895
I love the 250 3000 perch belly piano finish manlick her special.

Yip, that's pretty cool..., and I don't like the look of any full length stocks. Nice acquisitions, both of them, definitely a step above accumulator-class.

For the price of getting it lettered it's worth the trouble just to add information to the rifle...IMHO

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I generally only like full-length forearms on original Mannlicher-Schoenauers, but this one has a certain appeal. Usually, people don't understand that the difference between a nice full length stock and an also-ran is the inclusion (or lack thereof) of a very subtle concavity in the stock line from the receiver forward to the tip. Very few amateur stockers get it, and is often missed by pros too.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
F
Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
F
I have seen 2 of these 1899 with what was I believe factory
full forearm stock so lets not be too quick to say no way
one was in 22H.P. and one was in 303 the 22H.P. I lost went for over 5000.00 so I think some one else though it factory also.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yeah, should be pretty easy to decide whether to letter it or not when you get it.

If the forearm is stamped with the serial number, invest $25 in a letter. If it's not stamped.. then maybe worth it, maybe not when you get a closer look.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Really like the 250, but I don't understand why the checkering would be so far out on the fore stock. I have always been a fan of the Mannlicher, have a couple and always looking for another !!! This one is a puzzler for sure, why the checkering is so far forward. Nice rifles all in all.

Not trying to be an a-hole, you'll find a few here. Just giving my opinion. (you'll find them out soon enough, they are killing our forum !!) Shame.

Enjoy your new rifles, hope they shoot as good as they look !!!!

Last edited by oldgunsmith; 06/27/16. Reason: forgot something

If you don't like Robert E. Lee, you won't like it on this ranch. JGM
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Yes, I was wondering the same thing about the checkering, John.

I daresay if it was a special order factory job, the well heeled gentleman who paid for it could have had the checkering placed anywhere he darn well pleased. Perhaps he had long arms. I too would letter that one.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hello John,

Just say "Tool" next time. Same clear idea, just less keystrokes.

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I agree with you fellows. Not sure why the checkering is in that location. Strange, but in case someone actually ordered one Special from Savage and asked for it I would do a few backflips then recover in the hospital from said backflips. If its just a throw together than I'll sit there and ponder why in the hell would someone put checkering up that far. Wouldn't be the first time "strange" has intrigued me.

I once bought a 1896 Krag that was cut at the middle band but they left the wood in place. When I disassembled I to clean it, there was a note under the receiver stating that "If anyone cuts this fine Krag, may he be forever cursed on this earth" It was a very old note in someone's handwriting. You never know what you'll find.

Not worried about a-holes.....I've been a blue collar worker since 1979 and I've run into so many that they just bounce off now. And I was in the Military too....lots of a-holes there.

I do respect any input given good or bad. The .250 just spoke to me and I took a chance. I usually don't buy Mannlichers per say but I o liked full stocked Military rifles and every now and the a full stocked rifle just appears,looks nice,and I just might go for it.

A any rate I'll be sending for a history just because I'm curious.

Last edited by savage1756; 06/27/16.
RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I like them there boom sticks. If I were to pick between the two, I would go with the top one.

Lets us know how they shoot.

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Pic of the takedown slide.

[Linked Image]

C
ctw Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Tis intersting to know how it started . T me it says German influence,

What you have done is not nearly as important as how you have done it!!!
The Old Fart 2008 A.D.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I started to reply and stopped & now decided to reply again (it might not be the best idea for me to get into a discussion on 1899's). That full stocked rifle & many of the Savage & Stevens rifles and pistols and other items that have gone through this auction house are from one estate out of Ohio. I had handled that rifle several times over the past few years and from the first time I saw it I strongly felt the forearm was not original. I do not think the workmanship is the same and the wood is really quite plain and does not compared with the highly figured wood in the butt stock - which is unfortunate because the back part of that rifle is quite nice and was certainly special order. The best 1899 he had left was a barrel band carbine in 30-30 that sold in another lot. The previous owner was in poor health for many years and was gradually selling some of his better guns off to collectors he knew, but he still had a very large collection with the only theme seeming to be that if it was made by Savage or Stevens he wanted it, modern antique, pre-war, post-war, original, refinished, it didn't seem to matter.

Gene
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Thanks for the update. Good to know anything involving this rifle. I'll send for records at any rate just to see the jumping off point.

Just out of curiosity, other than the woodgrain, what led you to believe the forearm was not factory? This will add to my education. Did you notice that if it had a SN stamped on the inside or on the takedown endpiece?

Last edited by savage1756; 06/27/16.
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
The only other full stock 99 I've seen is one that Ken Waters redid and featured in his Handloader articles some years ago. Interesting enough his started life as a takedown too. But he had t he factory install a permanent barrel. There's a picture of the rifle in Pet Loads.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

630 members (01Foreman400, 10ring1, 160user, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1973cb450, 72 invisible), 3,027 guests, and 1,198 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,259
Posts18,467,093
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.