Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
Who can recommend a good spinning reel in the 2500-3000 size that is comparable to say a Shimano Stradic Ci4. Most used for small crankbaits and maybe some drop-shotting and shakey head fishing.

I see a lot of budget priced reels like Lews, Okuma and Kastking which I assume are all either Chinese or Korean built but with so many models it's hard to tell where to start.

I'm picking up some better spinning rods and want to put something on there I will be happy with and leave me more $ to spend on salt water tackle!

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

GB2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Pflueger Supreme 99 bucks. Body is magnesium, light as a feather.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
You guys shame me sometimes. After 50 year absence from fishing, I started again last fall. Dug out a very old Zebco 33 and spent $11 at the local bait shop for a rod.

Reading you post, I decided I need an ultralight, so went to Bass Pro and got a $30 reel and $40 rod.

When the fish are biting, I'm catching.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
You won't kill this. I have 5-6 that must be 20+ years old but I have long since lost count.I still use them every year.

For durability they cannot be beat.You can kill them if you run them over with a truck. Otherwise, forget it.

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Daiwa_Tournament_SS_Spinning_Reels/descpage-DTSSR.html

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Have to agree with you on the SS1300's. It is impossible to kill one of them!

One thing that is often times overlooked when fishing bass, especially big bass deep, with spinning gear is the spool diameter for line pickup. You need to pick up as much line as possible as fast as possible to whip those big fish from what I have experienced over the years. You can get by with a narrow spool some of the time, but it will come back to bite you sometime and usually it will be on a really big fish.

IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have one of those older bullet-proof Daiwas. I was wanting to get something a little smoother with more bearings etc. Nothing wrong with them, just not what I was looking for. The Pfleuger Supreme or XT look like a great reel for the money. I would love to have a Stella or a Daiwa Exist but they aren't in the budget.

NRA Benefactor Member

L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
I'm a Pflueger fan. I have a handful of Presidents I use but I wouldn't hesitate to go with something on up the line.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Don't overlook those Lew's reels. Without exception, people who make a few casts with mine say, "Wow!"

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
...I see a lot of budget priced reels like...
I'm picking up some better spinning rods and want to put something on there I will be happy with...

Stick with Shimano. Your reel is not the place to pinch pennies.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd put my money on Pflueger, and Shimano. Both very good.

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I just had to restock for lower 48 fishing. Bought 6 of the Pflueger Supreme XT's (different sizes) and they are super nice reels. Bought some Supremes for back up and they are nice but you can feel a difference in the smoothness.
Then I decided to try a Daiwa Sustain, big mistake. Now I wished I would of purchased more Sustains.

No, I didn't need reels this expensive. But the smoothness of the reel and drag is worth it to me.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
I just had to restock for lower 48 fishing. Bought 6 of the Pflueger Supreme XT's (different sizes) and they are super nice reels. Bought some Supremes for back up and they are nice but you can feel a difference in the smoothness.
Then I decided to try a Daiwa Sustain, big mistake. Now I wished I would of purchased more Sustains.

No, I didn't need reels this expensive. But the smoothness of the reel and drag is worth it to me.

The Sustain is a Shimano reel.

SS

"To be glad of life because it gives you a chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars. To be satisfied with your possessions but not content with yourself until you have made the best of them."
-Henry Van Dyke
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
My mistake, you are correct.
PS: If your looking for any of the high end Shimano's try Ottos tackle on Ebay. He is located in Australia but with the US dollar strong value you can pick one up for a good price.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by websterparish47
You guys shame me sometimes. After 50 year absence from fishing, I started again last fall. Dug out a very old Zebco 33 and spent $11 at the local bait shop for a rod.

Reading you post, I decided I need an ultralight, so went to Bass Pro and got a $30 reel and $40 rod.

When the fish are biting, I'm catching.

Hi WP47,

Nothing wrong with using what you have an enjoying yourself. I find that some people find joy in spending the least they can and being successful, others find joy in using the latest and greatest and being successful. New gear doesn't necessarily make you a better fisherman, but there are times where it can definitely help too.

Either way, as long as you are catching, relaxing, and enjoying yourself you are doing something right.

SS

"To be glad of life because it gives you a chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars. To be satisfied with your possessions but not content with yourself until you have made the best of them."
-Henry Van Dyke
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Im going away from shimanos after 30 years of using them. I have a 3 1000s, a symetre, a saros and a stadic. The saros is the only one that doesnt feel like your grinding corn.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by pal
I'm picking up some better spinning rods and want to put something on there I will be happy with...

Shimano has some very crappy reels in addition to their good ones. I have worn a few of the SX line out.

NRA Benefactor Member

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by pal

Shimano has some very crappy reels in addition to their good ones. I have worn a few of the SX line out.

Yup.

Despite the lack of bells and whistles, for $100 bucks, those old SS Daiwa's start to look pretty good. whistle There's a reason they are still in action. smile

I bought another last year, a 700(?) and put it on a G Loomis E6X ultralight rod with 10 pound braid. My grandsons will be fishing that out fit 15 years from now.....once I let them have it.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by pal

Dennis
If you are looking at spinning gear for Kodiak, skip it. You will mostly be flyfishing and spinning gear will not be in the picture...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
555 members (007FJ, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 52 invisible), 2,342 guests, and 1,083 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,597
Posts18,398,204
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.