Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Build a shooting bench so that you can shoot standing up.
I think Bob Hagel started this but it works great for any hard kickers.
I use it for 12 gauge slug guns, belted magnums
and muzzleloaders.
whelennut

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good idea. I use shooting sticks. But a gun club I used to belong too had a stand up bench and it was the cat's meow.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I just put two shooting seats together atop the range bench/table and set my sandbag and front rest on them. Of course, I'm 6'3" so it works for me.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Im a well worn 6'3" and I built a standing bench about 15 years ago after hearing about them. Its the same shape and proportion as a standard bench but its shirt pocket high. Really eases the discomfort with muzzle loaders, big bores, shot guns and anything else that tends to hurt. I even use it for tuning benchrest rifles. I increased the stability by putting a screw ground anchor under it and putting downward tension on it with a ratchet strap. This way it remains moveable if needed. Im trying to figure out how to add photos but Im not smart enough. If anyone wouold like a pic please help. This is on a Mac.

precision is group shooting, accuracy is hitting your intended target.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rogn
Im a well worn 6'3" and I built a standing bench about 15 years ago after hearing about them. Its the same shape and proportion as a standard bench but its shirt pocket high. Really eases the discomfort with muzzle loaders, big bores, shot guns and anything else that tends to hurt. I even use it for tuning benchrest rifles. I increased the stability by putting a screw ground anchor under it and putting downward tension on it with a ratchet strap. This way it remains moveable if needed. Im trying to figure out how to add photos but Im not smart enough. If anyone wouold like a pic please help. This is on a Mac.
PM me and I'll send you an email address and post them for you, if you would like.

Last edited by mudhen; 05/30/16.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nothing fancy, but I keep a homemade portable standing bench at the farm house so I can check zeros. It's not solid like a traditional seated bench, but I can easily move it around and it closely matches my zeros for field positions shooting off-hand, kneeling and sitting.

[Linked Image]

I have a lightweight portable target stand that holds a cardboard FBI Q target backer and I stick it out to whatever distance I need. I use a compact laser to verify distance and there are fields around the house where you could shoot out to a maximum of just under 1,000 yards if you cared to do so.

[Linked Image]

Here's a three shot group from 100 yards off my standing bench. I'd expect my handloads from off a solid seated bench to be even better, but the standing bench works.

[Linked Image]

Later smile

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Great idea, I need to build me one of those!

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

212 members (160user, 338reddog, 35, 300jimmy, 12344mag, 2UP, 22 invisible), 1,657 guests, and 894 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,600
Posts18,454,598
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.