Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
It's illegal to shoot a deer while standing (or swimming) in water in this state. Even if he's only ankle deep.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
For those guys who shoot a deer from 700 yds, a 100 yd shot at a swimmer should be a piece of cake, right?

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
It violates one of the basic rules of firearms safety, but what the heck.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Here, I can hunt the St Croix River. It's not always easy to figure out where the state line is. I might set up on an island to be able to cover a longish stretch of the Minnesota shore and the island may be divided by the state line. I had better stay on the Minnesota side of the island and only shoot deer on the Minnesota side of the line.

It's something I have considered seriously many times. I fish the river a lot and see a lot of deer while fishing. I wouldn't try it though without a GPS. Too much intermixed private land and state park land which may not be open for hunting or may have different season dates.

Last edited by MILES58; 07/01/16.
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
There is an elk hunt for those wanting such a thrill.

"Elk hunters with this Utah permit may hunt Nevada's portion of this interstate unit (091) and abide by Nevada laws."

http://wildlife.utah.gov/maps/public/details_boundary.php?boundary_id=682

A computer once beat me at chess. I then won a kickboxing contest with the same computer. So, 1-1 to date.
IC B2

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Depends on the deer doing the swimming. And local regs.

Caribou float, and it is common (also legal) practice in NWArctic to shoot swimming caribou early in the season (August, Sept, to mid October when freeze-up occurs). Motor up within feet and head-pop them..

Then there is a sort of hiatus until snow machines can be used and the rivers and lakes freeze up enough for safety. Usually around the first of November.

In fact, most won't shoot an animal more than a couple hundred yards back from the bank, early part of season. Season being when the caribou are there.... "Too much work", when they can get one in the river from a few feet away, throw a rope on it to tow/float it to a sandbar to dress. Sometimes several at once. Limit is 5 per day. Meat making! smile

It's a whole different mind-set/lifestyle from Outside "sport hunting" !!!!! smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
i wouldn't do it.... and I think its now moot...

but if your license and deer are in CO on a national forest and you are in NM on a national forest, the canyon is the state-line and shooting across a canyon is a common and safe hunting technique. You have a right to be and shoot where you are and you have authority to kill a deer where it is, I would say it should not be a violation.

but it probably is for some reason or another... like NM might assert that you are "pursuing" and "attempting to take" game in NM even tho the game is in CO.

check with Game & Fish in both states before proceeding...

what if it was a coyote and you had a license in both states?

what if you are blowing up water jugs on National Forest (after confirming it is legal in both NFs) and the perfect safe impact mountain is in one state, but you can only drive up to it from the other state?

Fun discussion and thought exercise...I can assure you I will not try it at my nearest state line, which is a bit south of here, where Arizona and Sonora meet. That would draw waayyyyyyyy too much attention.

Poole

Last edited by Bill Poole; 07/02/16.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
sure what part of az you are in. we glass up deer and immigrant in a different country to the south , the deer tag is for the az side.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When I was down on the ranch, we had a few pronghorns shot each year by shooters in Mexico. They would crawl through the fence, gut them and drag them across the line. The Mexicans didn't care, and the country was so wide open that it wasn't worth trying to patrol it on our side.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It would be an illegal take of a NM deer for not having a valid NM deer tag. That would be the poaching charge.
Then if you bring it back across the state line into Colo. it becomes a Lacey Act Violation which is a felony (transportation of illegally taken game across state lines).

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I just threw out the bit about a deer in the water because we do have an area where the Snake River is the border between ID & OR. You can fish the entire river from a boat but I don't know the laws about a deer in the water. A deer standing knee deep on a sand bar would be an easy target if legal. I would check it out before I did it. ID regs usually specify if there are islands involved but not for deer in the water.

― George Orwell

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I don't see the problem. I've hunted state lines before, when both states had deer in season and I had a license in both states.

Hell, one of the fields I hunted was in both states. What's the problem?

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I just threw out the bit about a deer in the water because we do have an area where the Snake River is the border between ID & OR. You can fish the entire river from a boat but I don't know the laws about a deer in the water. A deer standing knee deep on a sand bar would be an easy target if legal. I would check it out before I did it. ID regs usually specify if there are islands involved but not for deer in the water.

In years past, the Oregon synopsis had a prohibition against shooting across a navigable waterway but don't see it now, it was right along with the "on from or across a roadway" section. Also there was verbiage about shooting from a motorboat prior to it's forward progress subsiding but don't see that either, now just saying it's prohibited from motor vehicles which likely includes watercrafts. It was rumored but never founded that game could not be shot even while at water, just nonsense, err rumors from other locations... Along these lines, several decisions and changes came about from state AG rulings in the 2000s, such as the one clarifying that ODFW does not have the authority to regulate possession of firearms, just their use in hunting. Also, many of the interstate islands that have special restrictions too. Just my late night swing at it...

In this state line discussion there's definitions of Pursuit, Take, Attempt, Hunt etc and such that likely varies in all 50. I see the OPs case differs from the scenario Scott mentions. However, ultimately one state does not have the authority to allow hunting in another state, so how could it be permissible? Your state 'A' licence is not valid in state 'B' nor grant you any authority to take game in state 'B'. Unless there's some interstate agreement that specifically allows it.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I have heard guys talking about this in PENN when close to the NY border.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Bill Poole

but if your license and deer are in CO on a national forest and you are in NM on a national forest, the canyon is the state-line and shooting across a canyon is a common and safe hunting technique. You have a right to be and shoot where you are and you have authority to kill a deer where it is, I would say it should not be a violation.

this was the same thought that I had...

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by John_Gregori
Anyone look into this? For example, hypothetically, pretend that you are legally carrying a rifle along the NM border with Colorado and you have a Colorado Deer tag. Pretend that your only-best shot into a Canyon in Colorado is from the NM side (about 200 yards into NM). Can you legally pull the trigger in NM to kill the deer in Colorado and walk over and tag the deer in Colorado?

Just curious.

We can embellish the facts any way we want to justify an answer we want.

It has the potential to be a quagmire,depending on many things. Go read some regulations,

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Oakster
[quote=Bill Poole]

Why are you hunting in NM with a CO license? This'll get you busted in any state.

― George Orwell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Maryland deer season opens before Pa. PGC watches the border with a vengence. There is a pipline right of way near me that parallels the border, 100yards or so on the Pa side. Many Md hunters think of it as the line, the wardens look at it as the bait in a trap.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Not just state borders. Indian reservation borders are equally watched. I've seen Indian policemen on horses riding the boundaries just waiting for a hunter to make a mistake and set foot over it with a gun in hand.

A gps with a HuntX map program can save you a lot of anguish. It clearly tells you who owns the land you're on.
You older guys will remember the Claude Dallas case many years ago. He was convicted of murdering 2 fish and game officers in Idaho. They had to survey the scene to determine which state, ID or NV, had jurisdiction. Borders out in the wild aren't exactly clear sometimes.

― George Orwell

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
It's a lot easier with fishing. ID & OR have an agreement for the Snake river which is the border for many miles. The entire width of the river is open to boaters of both states but you can't fish from the shore in the other state.
I assume other states with wet borders do the same.

What I don't know is how to handle a deer swimming in the river between the states. Is it legal? Of course if you did shoot it in the water it would likely sink.

Sabine River, Lake and Pass in the Texas/Lousiana border. Same rules, fish river and either bank from a boat with either state license. If you wade you must have a valid license for State on which shore you are wading.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 160user, 1Longbow, 55 invisible), 2,681 guests, and 1,244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,365
Posts18,469,021
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.