It’s the end of June and the wildflowers are everywhere. I was watching the news this morning and was pretty amazed at how here we are in drought conditions, while 8 hours away in a couple different directions, they are having record floods. The devastation is pretty bad and hopefully recovery will come soon enough. The one thing though that is common is it is summer and the wildflowers are blooming which offer some great opportunities for some macro work. We had a nice rain last night so I decided to get out and do some macro flowers. I put on the newest of the Macro lenses from Tamron, the Tamron SP 90mm f2.8 Di VC USD 1:1 Macro lens and went out in search of the perfect subjects. It was a little breezy so I opened the aperture a little which would give me a better shutter speed, then looked for flowers with good backgrounds. Another thing to do in order to maximize sharpness is to try and get parallel to your subject. When shooting the center of the flowers try and keep the back of the camera as level to the flower. Because you are using a very shallow depth of field it will help to keep the image sharp.

One thing about a true macro lens, like the Tamron SP 90mm f2.8 Di VC USD 1:1 Macro lens, it is often referred to as “flat field” which means at the wider apertures it should be sharp from edge to edge. The SP, or Superior Performance, aspect of the lens will give you sharper images due to the standards of the lens manufacturing. The new coatings on the lens will give better color and sharpness as well. I prefer most of the time to use a tripod when possible, but it is great knowing that the lens has the newest VC, Vibration Compensation, built in so handholding is possible where a couple of years ago it wasn’t. The USD motor allows for fast, quiet and accurate focus.

In some areas the wildflower season doesn’t last long, so get out and take advantage of the opportunities while you can. If you don’t have a macro lens or are looking to upgrade, the Tamron SP 90mm f2.8 Di VC USD 1:1 Macro lens is an incredible lens. Give Joel or one of his folks at Camera Land a call to get your lens or any of your photo needs. Remember, as always, let them know you are a member of the Campfire for the best possible pricing. All the images below were made using the Tamron SP 90mm f2.8 Di VC USD 1:1 Macro lens on a Canon 7Dii.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Great photography is not about being in the right place at the right time, it is about putting yourself in the right place at the right time.