-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It's amazing what good customer service, honest salesmen, and good business practices will do.

A lesson lost on most others.

“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
― Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear
GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Orion2000
Drove down to SAS's shop today and picked up my MRC .243. Also picked up some brass and primers. Hope to get a scope mounted and do some load development later this week.

Totally surprised at the number of people at Whitaker's this morning. I got there about 25 to 30 minutes after they opened. And both parking lots were already FULL! On a Tuesday! Fortunately with the recent remodel/expansion, there was still plenty of room to move around inside. But, just totally surprised at the number of people. And not just tire kickers. Appeared to be plenty of product going out the door...

Things are crazy right now. Traffic is unreal. I wish we could have spent more time talking. Maybe we'll just go back in my office and kick back for a few minutes during your next visit!

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Does anyone have pictures of their rifles yet?

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
My 2 (LH & RH) shipped today but I'm headed to Mexico for week on Sat so I won't pick them up from the FFL till I get back.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I picked up my rifle today from the LGS, and to be honest I'm on the fence about it. I ordered some Talley mounts that didn't make it into the box, but Eric admitted the mistake and refunded the money at my request. However, he did offer to overnight them to me at no expense which was a very nice gesture.

I had dropped of a Leupold VXII 3-9X40 to be mounted in the Talley's but when they weren't in the box he to the liberty of using some aluminum Weaver bases and Quad Lock rings. It's no big deal and the mounts and rings will work for now as if this rifle shoots really well, I'll be switching out the scope for a more long range option. However if it doesn't shoot as I hope, it'll probably get reworked.

First thing I noticed about the rifle is way heavier than advertised. MRC list the X2 Extreme as 6lbs 14oz. I figured I was going to add close to another pound with the Talley's and the Leupold, making the rifle a hair under 8 lbs. Well that isn't the case the rifle came in a hair under 8.5lbs, big difference from what I was expecting.

Sorry for crappy scale picture:

[Linked Image]

I know the MRC actions are supposed to be heavy as just reading around the web you hear that. I do think MRC could lighten up these rifles a bit by changing the barrel profile especially the shank. The shank on my rifle is a good 1.75" before the barrel begins to taper. However the balance is good on the rifle as it seems to balance right at the front action screw.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Fit and finish seem to really good on my rifle, the trigger guard is flush with the stock line as well as the tang and ejection port. The cutout for the bolt handle could have used a little more attention as it's a little over sized. It doesn't feel as sevelt in my hands as my McMillan Hunter or M70 FWT stocks, but the stock does feel nice. The forearm is a little thicker than the McMillan's but the wrist, flutes and pistol grip has an excellent feel to them in my hand.

The barrel is free floated and centered in the forearm, though I'd maybe like a little more float on the barrel. It's a snug fit for an 8.5X11 sheet of printer paper to fit down the forearm. The float ends right at the shank as that is where the bedding material ends as well.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The stainless steel has a nice even matte finish all over though I haven't popped the action from the stock yet. The bolt handle feels a little small but it's still easy to manipulate. There is a ton of shipping grease in the action and on the bolt so until I can take some time to degrease everything, I can't really tell you how the bolt feels. I can tell you however, the safety works within an acceptable decibel range for those worried it might be too loud to use while hunting. wink

Hopefully I can get my 12 year old to drive me to the range on Friday after basketball practice, since it's hard to drive my pickup with my broken leg. She's getting pretty good at driving a stick and taking the backroads to avoid the law. It's a little father daughter bonding time we both enjoy.

If the rifle shoots well then I guess I'll figure out if I can put it on a diet affordably or not. I really want this rifle to perform well as I had planned to build an 8 twist .243 that would finish at sub 8 lbs all up, but jumped on this group buy as it saved me a minimum of $500 right off the bat. Needless to say I'm a little bummed about the thought of a 9lbs all up .243 Win.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the thoughts/review - I'd be real interested in one of these at that weight in a 6.5 SAUM.

Life is just one damned thing after another
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I picked mine up today. So far, so good. I haven't shot it yet (will do that this weekend), but the fit and finish is top notch. The bedding and pillars look good, the barrel is free floated, the crown is nicely cut, etc. The stock ergonomics feel good and pictures don't do the stock color justice; it is a dark grey with black webbing. Mine weighed in at 7 pounds, 8 ounces naked. The trigger measures an even three pounds and feels decent, but I will replace it with a Timney. The ejection port cut is a bit odd, but that would be my only complaint. If she shoots, this gun will be a home run IMO.

Sorry for the crappy phone pic, but any picture is better than none.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by whitebread; 01/19/16.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by ndhunterman
I would jump all over a 6.5 saum 4s with a #3 fluted barrel...

Yes, yes, yes yes! Make us a really cool unique rifle.....

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Sign me up for a 6.5 saum 4s. That would be very cool except the brass part wich can be delt with.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by whitebread
I picked mine up today. So far, so good. I haven't shot it yet (will do that this weekend), but the fit and finish is top notch. The bedding and pillars look good, the barrel is free floated, the crown is nicely cut, etc. The stock ergonomics feel good and pictures don't do the stock color justice; it is a dark grey with black webbing. Mine weighed in at 7 pounds, 8 ounces naked. The trigger measures an even three pounds and feels decent, but I will replace it with a Timney. The ejection port cut is a bit odd, but that would be my only complaint. If she shoots, this gun will be a home run IMO.

Sorry for the crappy phone pic, but any picture is better than none.
[Linked Image]

What pad is that on the stock?

IC B3

N
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by cal74
Thanks for the thoughts/review - I'd be real interested in one of these at that weight in a 6.5 SAUM.

I'd be on board as well.

“Factio democratica delenda est"
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by huntsonora

Triad Tactical. They are excellent packs to get proper cheek weld.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by whitebread
Originally Posted by huntsonora

Triad Tactical. They are excellent packs to get proper cheek weld.

Thank you

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Nice rifle. I would let a gunsmith hone and set the original trigger before buying a Timney. The model 70/ Springfield style trigger is one of the pluses of the Montana action to me. I would only go aftermarket if I wanted less than 2 lbs of pull. But you may be able to get this with an Ernie the Gunsmith replacement spring and a little tuning. I think the M70 spring will fit but verify this before ordering.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Tejano
Nice rifle. I would let a gunsmith hone and set the original trigger before buying a Timney. The model 70/ Springfield style trigger is one of the pluses of the Montana action to me. I would only go aftermarket if I wanted less than 2 lbs of pull. But you may be able to get this with an Ernie the Gunsmith replacement spring and a little tuning. I think the M70 spring will fit but verify this before ordering.

Well, the Timney did not fit, so the original trigger will stay. It was slightly too wide (filed it to fit), and then had interference with casting flash where the original spring assembly sat. So I scrapped the idea and will move forward with the original.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Is the 6.5 SAUM idea getting any real thought?

What's the advantage over a 6.5X284?

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by David_Walter
Is the 6.5 SAUM idea getting any real thought?

What's the advantage over a 6.5X284?

I would throw down $ on a 6.5 saum today!

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
i have a nice MRC 1999 in 243, has a Accurate Innovations stock and heavy 24" SS fluted barrel, has a EGW rail, TPS rings and a HD5 5-25x50 on top

needs a bit of trigger work but otherwise shoots great

Last edited by Ocean_Raider; 09/24/16.

All Dogs Bite
All Horses Kick
All Boats Sink
And All Guns Are Loaded
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

577 members (1minute, 22kHornet, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 204guy, 007FJ, 63 invisible), 3,228 guests, and 1,198 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,532
Posts18,452,920
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.