Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Do you really want to hassle over a silly AR that was his originally. I would tell him to send you a hundred bucks to cover shipping and handling and a FFL that he wants it sent to. Get your FFl on your end to send it to his FFL and make him yellow sheet it again. Then go buy yourself a new AR. If it makes you feel better take it out and do about 20 mag dumps as fast as you can pull the trigger u till the barrel droops and the throat is cooked but I would not get a lawyer to try and keep something as trivial as a rifle.

GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Just answer the email with one word: "no."

It's really none of his business. If he was worried about his rifle he certainly should not have waited 10 years to ask about it.

I don't see how your wife has any obligation to even answer the email really.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Cost of lawyer will reach the price of any firearm teal quick. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I'd reply back "haven't seen it since you left"!

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I'd sanitize the gun removing my prints and handle it with gloves, drive to west point drop the thing off on the front door to the main office with a note indicating who it belongs to and advise them that it is not registered per the safe act.

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

IC B2

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
You don't need to do anything but hit the ignore button.

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.
Thomas Jefferson

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'd ignore him. The numbnuts lives in NY so he can’t have it anyway. For peace of mind your wife could check with the lawyer she used for the divorce, but if he bought the gun while they were married, that makes it marital property in most states. Most divorce decrees have specific time limits on division of marital property because the courts don’t want to be bothered with endless BS.

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Grand
The value of the rifle does not merit hiring a lawyer. If it does not belong to your wife under the divorce decree, I'd take it to the local Police Station or Sheriff's office. They can determine whether he lawfully qualifies to possess the firearm. Plus they will have a pile of paper work for him to file out.

I went to the Sheriff's office after I posted the original question, because my wife was in full on panic mode and needed answers right away. I told them the situation and they said it was abandoned property. They also said as long as we were both legal to own it then it was legally ours since it had been in our possession for so long. He also said it was a civil issue since the AR-15 was not stolen if it comes down to anything further, and that law enforcement probably wouldn't get involved.

This all started when we sent him a quote for getting my step daughter braces, and we offered him the opportunity to pay for half the cost that insurance wouldn't cover. We didn't care if he paid or not, we just wanted him to say yes or no. He found out that I also carry insurance on my step daughter for medical, dental, and vision and accused us of trying to commit insurance fraud for submitting to both his and my insurance companies. His insurance is through Tri-Care (military) and mine is through my work with the rail road. The reason I added my step daughter is that I pay the same amount for insurance regardless of number of dependents, so it seemed like a good idea to carry secondary insurance on her.

My wife thinks he feels like I'm pi$$ing on his tree, by carrying insurance on my step daughter. I told my wife not to reply to anything other than the dental issue that we already contacted him about.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by taylorce1
Originally Posted by Grand
The value of the rifle does not merit hiring a lawyer. If it does not belong to your wife under the divorce decree, I'd take it to the local Police Station or Sheriff's office. They can determine whether he lawfully qualifies to possess the firearm. Plus they will have a pile of paper work for him to file out.

I went to the Sheriff's office after I posted the original question, because my wife was in full on panic mode and needed answers right away. I told them the situation and they said it was abandoned property. They also said as long as we were both legal to own it then it was legally ours since it had been in our possession for so long. He also said it was a civil issue since the AR-15 was not stolen if it comes down to anything further, and that law enforcement probably wouldn't get involved.

This all started when we sent him a quote for getting my step daughter braces, and we offered him the opportunity to pay for half the cost that insurance wouldn't cover. We didn't care if he paid or not, we just wanted him to say yes or no. He found out that I also carry insurance on my step daughter for medical, dental, and vision and accused us of trying to commit insurance fraud for submitting to both his and my insurance companies. His insurance is through Tri-Care (military) and mine is through my work with the rail road. The reason I added my step daughter is that I pay the same amount for insurance regardless of number of dependents, so it seemed like a good idea to carry secondary insurance on her.

My wife thinks he feels like I'm pi$$ing on his tree, by carrying insurance on my step daughter.

Ah. Time to tell him to f'k off. Sounds like he only gave a schit about the kid when it was clear that YOU give a schit about the kid.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by taylorce1

My wife thinks he feels like I'm pi$$ing on his tree, by carrying insurance on my step daughter.

He should have just offered to prorate your dependent coverage if it was acceptable to you, rather than being a dick.

Your wife should hand you the rifle, ask you to hide it, then reply to the ex in all honesty, she doesn't know where the gun that he bought is at.

IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Tell him he'd have better luck buying a new AR in NY than getting yours from you.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Reading this I believe he's going to tell you to sell the gun and that's his share of the braces.

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.
Thomas Jefferson

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
This.
Originally Posted by Sake76
I'd reply back "haven't seen it since you left"!

Not this.
Originally Posted by KFWA
I would write back and say the gun is no longer in our posession. Sold at a gun show.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
No, you don't need a lawyer.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Then this.
Originally Posted by 4ager

Ah. Time to tell him to f'k off.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by bangeye
Do you really want to hassle over a silly AR that was his originally. I would tell him to send you a hundred bucks to cover shipping and handling and a FFL that he wants it sent to. Get your FFl on your end to send it to his FFL and make him yellow sheet it again. Then go buy yourself a new AR. If it makes you feel better take it out and do about 20 mag dumps as fast as you can pull the trigger u till the barrel droops and the throat is cooked but I would not get a lawyer to try and keep something as trivial as a rifle.

I'm sure we're headed to court one way or another, that's just his M.O. If he doesn't get exactly what he wants he threatens and takes us to court. A couple years ago we had to let our attorney go after our last time in family court with him. He decided that he'd only correspond with us through our attorneys. So we had a monthly bill of about $200-300 for attorney fees for email correspondence, and our attorney told us that if we "fired" him then the Ex was the only one paying attorney fees.

As far as I'm concerned if he gets a stripped lower receiver then we've sent the rifle back. However, he doesn't care about the rifle he just wants the ATF to secure it. He's just making trouble for us.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You made the right decision talking with the SO and they gave you good advice. His accusations of fraud are laughable. I wonder what he's teaching...

Deadlines and commitments, what to leave in, what to leave out...
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
You might want to check with someone familiar with NY law or contact the NY State Police. It may very well be illegal for you to send it to NY for transfer or sale. NY has banned the sale and I believe transfer of "assault weapons" as defined by the NY SAFE Act. In order to keep these rifles, they had to have been registered. They either had to be registered or sold/transferred to an out of state person or NY FFL holder. I'm pretty sure it would illegal in NY for you to send it to him. That plus it being declared abandoned property, I'm pretty sure that it is yours. If he plays hardball with you, ask him to send you a letter from the NY State Police stating that it is legal to send this rifle into NY for transfer. That'll never happen and will shut him up.

The NY SAFE ACT:

"Broadens definition of "assault weapon" from two identified features to one. The sale and/or transfer of newly defined assault weapons is banned within the state, although sales out of state are permitted. Possession of the newly defined assault weapons is allowed only if they were possessed at the time that the law was passed, and must be registered with the state within one year."

This would seem to prohibit you from transferring the rifle back to him.

Last edited by cooper57m; 06/28/16.
T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by 4ager

Ah. Time to tell him to f'k off. Sounds like he only gave a schit about the kid when it was clear that YOU give a schit about the kid.

She's my daughter not his, I've raised her for the last eight years since she was five. Other than the last time he took us to court to modify parenting time, he only calls her on her birthday (if he remembers), and Christmas. Since my daughter's birthday is in Jan, she doesn't hear from him until her visitation, which he didn't arrange for this year.

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Bobmar
You made the right decision talking with the SO and they gave you good advice. His accusations of fraud are laughable. I wonder what he's teaching...

Middle Eastern Studies

Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (257man, 10gaugeman, 1_deuce, 222Sako, 222ND, 10Glocks, 64 invisible), 2,610 guests, and 1,346 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,671
Posts18,456,012
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.