Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Sounds like he majored in dumbassatude.

You/she owe him nothing,he is just trying to stir up you know what.

GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Bobmar
I wonder what he's teaching...

Sounds like Dick101

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by taylorce1
You made the right decision talking with the SO and they gave you good advice. His accusations of fraud are laughable. I wonder what he's teaching...

Middle Eastern Studies

And it just gets better and better...

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Ask him "What's an AR-15?, and why on earth would anybody have one of those things?"

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by Calhoun
I think a $50/year storage fee to be paid at the time of the return of his weapon would be appropriate. grin

Of course, you tack on late fees and interest and the amount goes up significantly (I should work for the IRS, except I was born with a conscience).

grin
My unit costs me monthly. Just sayin'.....

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
IC B2

Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by David_Walter
My divorce specifically said "any items in the possession of either party 30 days after the date of recording, are the permanent possession of that party holding the item."

Of course, you can always answer his inquiry with "No, I don't still have it."

My daughter is currently going through a divorce. There is verbiage in her divorce decree that is very similar to this.

This also includes me as I was storing items at her home in a large out building they had. My problem is that the ex son-in-law has not made reasonable access to the building for me to retrieve my belongings.

You may want to see if your wife has a copy of the divorce decree and read through it first. You might be able to avoid a lot of headache by doing so. If it does indeed have this clause you're in business. Any communications with her ex-husband need to be via email. Tell him that the divorce decree states that the items were abandoned. Let him know that you're more than willing to return the firearm to him. Let him know that it needs to be transferred through a FFL and that he needs to pay for the transfer.

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Ya gotta admit, it's a cheap way to get an AR, though he probably could go to jail for it in some states for abandoning a dangerous weapon.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bangeye
Do you really want to hassle over a silly AR that was his originally. I would tell him to send you a hundred bucks to cover shipping and handling and a FFL that he wants it sent to. Get your FFl on your end to send it to his FFL and make him yellow sheet it again. Then go buy yourself a new AR. If it makes you feel better take it out and do about 20 mag dumps as fast as you can pull the trigger u till the barrel droops and the throat is cooked but I would not get a lawyer to try and keep something as trivial as a rifle.

I'm sure we're headed to court one way or another, that's just his M.O. If he doesn't get exactly what he wants he threatens and takes us to court. A couple years ago we had to let our attorney go after our last time in family court with him. He decided that he'd only correspond with us through our attorneys. So we had a monthly bill of about $200-300 for attorney fees for email correspondence, and our attorney told us that if we "fired" him then the Ex was the only one paying attorney fees.

As far as I'm concerned if he gets a stripped lower receiver then we've sent the rifle back. However, he doesn't care about the rifle he just wants the ATF to secure it. He's just making trouble for us.

Time to fight fire with fire. He wants to go to court? Fine. Go to court. Your daughter is 13. That's old enough in most states to testify on custody issues and to have her word carry weight. This time, you go for termination of his rights and full adoption by you. See how he likes THAT, and you might very well win.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I hope you are documenting all his assholiness.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
T
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Cabarillo
ATF= maybe full auto.

Nope, just a Colt M-Forgery semi auto only. I've had it out and shot it a few times nothing special about it. I like AR's and have a couple more that are way better than this one. I tried to talk my wife (then girlfriend) into selling it in 2008 after Obama got elected the first time. I made almost $800 profit on my DPMS M-Forgery I auctioned on GB back then that I didn't care for.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Grand
The value of the rifle does not merit hiring a lawyer. If it does not belong to your wife under the divorce decree, I'd take it to the local Police Station or Sheriff's office. They can determine whether he lawfully qualifies to possess the firearm. Plus they will have a pile of paper work for him to file out.

Just make sure it is in a case before you walk in. wink

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by ironbender
I hope you are documenting all his assholiness.

We are saving every email and text message. The only thing we aren't doing is recording phone conversations. They're so few and far between anyway.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by cooper57m
You might want to check with someone familiar with NY law or contact the NY State Police. It may very well be illegal for you to send it to NY for transfer or sale. NY has banned the sale and I believe transfer of "assault weapons" as defined by the NY SAFE Act. In order to keep these rifles, they had to have been registered. They either had to be registered or sold/transferred to an out of state person or NY FFL holder. I'm pretty sure it would illegal in NY for you to send it to him. That plus it being declared abandoned property, I'm pretty sure that it is yours. If he plays hardball with you, ask him to send you a letter from the NY State Police stating that it is legal to send this rifle into NY for transfer. That'll never happen and will shut him up.

The NY SAFE ACT:

"Broadens definition of "assault weapon" from two identified features to one. The sale and/or transfer of newly defined assault weapons is banned within the state, although sales out of state are permitted. Possession of the newly defined assault weapons is allowed only if they were possessed at the time that the law was passed, and must be registered with the state within one year."

This would seem to prohibit you from transferring the rifle back to him.

You really need to stfu and go away

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by gitem_12
Originally Posted by cooper57m
You might want to check with someone familiar with NY law or contact the NY State Police. It may very well be illegal for you to send it to NY for transfer or sale. NY has banned the sale and I believe transfer of "assault weapons" as defined by the NY SAFE Act. In order to keep these rifles, they had to have been registered. They either had to be registered or sold/transferred to an out of state person or NY FFL holder. I'm pretty sure it would illegal in NY for you to send it to him. That plus it being declared abandoned property, I'm pretty sure that it is yours. If he plays hardball with you, ask him to send you a letter from the NY State Police stating that it is legal to send this rifle into NY for transfer. That'll never happen and will shut him up.

The NY SAFE ACT:

"Broadens definition of "assault weapon" from two identified features to one. The sale and/or transfer of newly defined assault weapons is banned within the state, although sales out of state are permitted. Possession of the newly defined assault weapons is allowed only if they were possessed at the time that the law was passed, and must be registered with the state within one year."

This would seem to prohibit you from transferring the rifle back to him.

You really need to stfu and go away

That was uncalled for...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

I'm sure we're headed to court one way or another, that's just his M.O. If he doesn't get exactly what he wants he threatens and takes us to court. A couple years ago we had to let our attorney go after our last time in family court with him. He decided that he'd only correspond with us through our attorneys. So we had a monthly bill of about $200-300 for attorney fees for email correspondence, and our attorney told us that if we "fired" him then the Ex was the only one paying attorney fees.

As far as I'm concerned if he gets a stripped lower receiver then we've sent the rifle back. However, he doesn't care about the rifle he just wants the ATF to secure it. He's just making trouble for us.

Don't reward his trouble making.

The more you and your wife respond to him, the more reward he gets, by causing you grief.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
That was uncalled for...

Not really.

I'm not too tolerant of rubbing elbows with the enemy, myself.

Gitem was spot on.

And he can take Piddler, NWA, and Snivels with him.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
You don't need a lawyer. Tell him to come and get it, but it's going to be hot and empty.

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by 4ager
Originally Posted by Grand
The value of the rifle does not merit hiring a lawyer. If it does not belong to your wife under the divorce decree, I'd take it to the local Police Station or Sheriff's office. They can determine whether he lawfully qualifies to possess the firearm. Plus they will have a pile of paper work for him to file out.

I went to the Sheriff's office after I posted the original question, because my wife was in full on panic mode and needed answers right away. I told them the situation and they said it was abandoned property. They also said as long as we were both legal to own it then it was legally ours since it had been in our possession for so long. He also said it was a civil issue since the AR-15 was not stolen if it comes down to anything further, and that law enforcement probably wouldn't get involved.

This all started when we sent him a quote for getting my step daughter braces, and we offered him the opportunity to pay for half the cost that insurance wouldn't cover. We didn't care if he paid or not, we just wanted him to say yes or no. He found out that I also carry insurance on my step daughter for medical, dental, and vision and accused us of trying to commit insurance fraud for submitting to both his and my insurance companies. His insurance is through Tri-Care (military) and mine is through my work with the rail road. The reason I added my step daughter is that I pay the same amount for insurance regardless of number of dependents, so it seemed like a good idea to carry secondary insurance on her.

My wife thinks he feels like I'm pi$$ing on his tree, by carrying insurance on my step daughter.

Ah. Time to tell him to f'k off. Sounds like he only gave a schit about the kid when it was clear that YOU give a schit about the kid.

Yep. Time to piss up a rope. I wouldn't even answer the email about the gun.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
You made the right decision talking with the SO and they gave you good advice. His accusations of fraud are laughable. I wonder what he's teaching...

He's not a teacher named Chris in FL by any chance is he? grin

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I'd be inclined to just give the fella his rifle back. I'm guessing he is the one that bought it?

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

533 members (10gaugemag, 1337Fungi, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 56 invisible), 2,270 guests, and 1,169 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,327
Posts18,468,523
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.