Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Any idea what a fair price is on a Mossberg Palomino 402. Came across one in a pawn shop for $175. Nice looking gun and looks like it has seen very little use.

Tried researching it but only found a few that had been listed with prices from $125 to $300.

Thanks,
Mike

GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Always keep an eye on what those are going for, at least on the auction sites. Usually 300 and up. For whatever my opinion is worth, 175 is an absolutely screaming deal! I have a real soft spot for rifles I used to look at in the Western Auto catalogs I ogled in my youth...

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Knowing it's an old Mossberg, I wouldn't be surprised if it's a shooter either. Be careful you don't get "mossbergitus", a phrase you hear about over on rimfirecentral.. laugh

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Although I'm not a huge Mossberg fan, I think that the Palomino is a decent little lever gun, better (IMO) than most of the current production options. At $175 you can afford to try it and if you decide that you don't like it, you can probably make a little profit when you sell it.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Buy it. I bought one for my middle son at a pawn shop in Houston some years ago for $100 OTD. It is a fine shooter with some pretty nice wood to boot.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by EdM
Buy it. I bought one for my middle son at a pawn shop in Houston some years ago for $100 OTD. It is a fine shooter with some pretty nice wood to boot.

Ditto EdM's suggestion. RWE has one, and it's a FINE shooter - capable of even making him look like he's a decent shot.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Knowing it's an old Mossberg, I wouldn't be surprised if it's a shooter either. Be careful you don't get "mossbergitus", a phrase you hear about over on rimfirecentral.. laugh
Those old Mossbergs just plain shoot good! Made a believer outta me!

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I just sold one of these over on huntingpa.com 2 weeks ago. I got $200 for it. Mine was a good shooter but just seemed to never get used. Mine also had the typical crack on the right side of the buttstock where it meets the receiver. Is a really common issue with these.Some of these have some pretty nice wood on them. Mine really liked standard velocity ammo and wasn't very picky about the brand as long as it was standard velocity. Get it and have fun!

If it looks good, you'll see it
If it sounds good, you'll hear it
If it's marketed right, you'll buy it
But...If it's real, you'll feel it
Kid Rock
RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 4ager
Originally Posted by EdM

Ditto EdM's suggestion. RWE has one, and it's a FINE shooter - capable of even making him look like he's a decent shot.

Sure made short work at shooting missletoe out of the tree compared to my bolt gun that day.

Mossberg Palomino is the technical name.

I prefer the Western Auto Revelation, aptly named because it is the end times for critters.

Shoots S, L, and LR as well. Shoots all the ammo I fed it fine - including cheap ass Centurion.

truth be known, I sold my other 22's when I got this from my Uncle.

[Linked Image]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
one of the better lever rimfires from the late 60's - the 70's

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I'd love to have one. Did the OP buy it?

LOL
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've had a Mossberg Palomino Carbine since 1969. I wanted a Marlin 39 Carbine that the local Ace Hardware had in their rack, but all the money I could scrape up over the summer was barely enough to cover the Mossberg. I doubt I could see over the pile of 22 brass that has been through that rifle over the years.

Like most 22LR's of the era, it will jam on occasion and needs to be kept fairly clean. With the removable side plate, clearing jams and cleaning are no problem at all. A jam is just a little aggravating to have happen when your buddies are shooting Ruger 10/22's and never have one. Mine has broken 4 or 5 firing pins over the years and never at a convenient time. They are not hard to replace and so far, haven't been hard to find. It is just not something that is easy to change in the woods and the closest replacement is three states away. The next time one breaks, I'm going to make a replacement out of CPM 3V steel.

I bought a parts gun that is in great shape a few years ago for $25. The firing pin was missing, but the rest of the rifle is there and almost new looking. That should keep my Mossberg running for a few years to come.

I never spent much time shooting shorts or longs in the rifle, but when I did, it seemed to handle them just as well as long rifles. The 10/22 guys couldn't do that at all. My Palomino always handled shot cartridges very well and I usually kept a few in my pocket when hunting, just because of the effect that they had on snakes.

While I have always looked back and wished I could have gotten the Marlin 39 Carbine, I got a lot of use out of the Mossberg and had some great time shooting it. It is a decent 22. I passed up a Mossberg Palomino rifle (mine's a carbine) about a month ago for $300. It looked new and I regret letting it get past me. I'd grab one in decent shape for less than $200 and never look back.

Harry

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

197 members (30Gibbs, 35sambar, 10gaugemag, 345dl, 1_deuce, 264mag, 29 invisible), 2,687 guests, and 1,021 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,278
Posts18,467,637
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.