Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 1minute
With inflation, $99.95 in 1963 is equivalent to almost $800 today. Is that inexpensive

Yes, I believe it is. At that time, I remember working a gas station for $0.75 per hour. Took me quite a few 8-hr days to come up with the cash what with taxes, social security etc taken out. The big Winchester, Remington, Browning, a Weatherby's units were running for 3 to 4 times that price, and were attainable solely in my dreams.

Just before I retired, I'd have $800 in hand in less than 2 days.

You got screwed, Remington 700 rifles cost $129.00 in 1963. It was also worth the extra $30.00 over a '99...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by liliysdad
I have never understood how a man leaves the house without a pocket knife, belt, and wristwatch.

lillysdad, How you doing? well I hope.

I have never understood how a man can wear something on his wrist that will just get broken in a few days, or worse, will get caught in some kind of machinery? I haven't worn on my wrist for a long time, since early 20's maybe. Watches I do have generally end up in my pocket. Generally inexpensive ones also. Timex like!

Cant' do jewelry on fingers/hands either. Wife understands therefor I don't even have a wedding ring.

Knife and belt, you bet.

I don't understand guys that go out without a hat either, Stetson, Ball Cap, beanie, Stormy Kromer, even a dew rag or headband. Feel like I'm buck naked without one, especially in public. And I still have hair! smile

Geno

PS, $20 Browning folder, $50 Stetson (both USA made) have been great relatively inexpensive buys. Privi ammo not so bad in some of my guns either. Last 3 shot group in my .06 was 0.75', 2.5" above bull at 100. I can't complain. Figure it would kill a deer.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
CCI mini mags
+1 on Marlin 60
Bag Balm
The old case knives
Hi Standard revolvers

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Kirk,

Yeah, I bought my first Remington 700 in 1974, a brand-new ADL .270, for $179 at a hardware store in Wolf Point. Which at the time was just about half a month's take-home pay for the job I had at the time. It turned out to be one of the most accurate big-game rifles I've ever owned, including a bunch of customs.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Kirk,

Yeah, I bought my first Remington 700 in 1974, a brand-new ADL .270, for $179 at a hardware store in Wolf Point. Which at the time was just about half a month's take-home pay for the job I had at the time. It turned out to be one of the most accurate big-game rifles I've ever owned, including a bunch of customs.

NOT trying to one up ya.

I bought my first 700 BDL 270 in Fayetteville Ar in 1976 for $149.00, At the same time Wally World's price was $179.

Jerry

Last edited by jwall; 06/30/16.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Kirk,

I bought my first 700 new at Gibson's in Bozeman for around the same money about the same year. I loaded up some Hornady 165 grain bullets and put a Bushnell 4X scope on it and went hunting. I shot a group with it when I was younger and didn't know better, but the group was as good or better than the one they had attached to a $600.00 Steyr they had in the Powderhorn. I shot the biggest elk I have ever seen with that rifle...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A Rem 788 in 308 circa '71 and the one-at-a-time Lee Loader that fed it. That rifle threw about anything into pretty small groups though I've seen fence posts that were better looking.

Last edited by George_De_Vries_3rd; 06/30/16.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Kirk,

I mostly shot Hornady 150's in that .270, and it would put three into around an inch at 300--also with a Bushnell 4x!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Since we're strolling down memory lane...

My first new rifle was a 700 BDL .243 in 1972. The LGS sold it to me at his cost, as a favor, for around $130 as I recall. I transferred the 3-9 Bushnell onto it off of my Mauser, soon to be replaced by a Bausch&Lomb, which is another story. Took my entire tax refund check. (Oh to be a poor college student again!) It too was one of the most accurate factory rifles I ever owned.

As I recall, I was making around $1.50/hr. part time back then. After beer, gas, and cigarettes there was always money for powder and bullets. Thank god the GF liked beer, gas, and cigarettes too, and paid for her own.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Originally Posted by shrapnel

I paid $1500.00 for this car and I doubt there are many other $1500.00 cars will keep up with it...

[Linked Image]

What a beauty! Engine details please.

I had a '68 and a '69, but the '65s were the best. My favorite Poncho, however is the '63 Grand Prix, kind of an oversized GTO. Took a while to get all that steel moving, but the top-end was pretty good. The 8-lug aluminum wheels were pretty sharp. If I ever get cash fat I might just have to go find another one of those. The

400 Tri-Power with no power brakes or power steering...

[Linked Image]

Tri-Power! Awesome.
A 400 has to be a replacement block, but bolt-on stuff like intakes fit 'em all from 287 to 455.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I never had need for the wristwatch since cell phones, never understood needing 2 time pieces.

Now since an EMS certification, I wear a watch to take vitals all the time before the ambulance shows with doc in the box...

it would be the only reason I can find for watch.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Because looking like a goob checking the time on my phone is pretty high on my list of things I dont want to do.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I gave up wearing a watch for a little while after getting a cell phone, but soon started again, because I find checking a watch while out hunting involves far less movement and hassle.

Used to buy cheap Timexes, which would last several years, but after my last one died found the price had gone up to 30 bucks! Bought the cheapest Asian-made watch at Wal-Mart for $12.99 instead, and it not only keeps the most accurate time of any wristwatch I've ever owned but has now lasted several years too. In fact the only occasions when I've had to change the time on it have been when traveling to different time-zones, because so far it's always shown exactly the same time as my phone.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Jewelry of any kind was forbidden on my job because of the risk of shock or of dropping something into the works and blowing up circuit packs costing bazillions of dollars. Never had a wedding band until I retired. Three years later, she flew the coop, but gold had gone up enough that I made a little money on the ring. Win-win!

What fresh Hell is this?
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Because looking like a goob checking the time on my phone is pretty high on my list of things I dont want to do.

Ah, someone that cares what others think. LOL.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rost495

Now since an EMS certification, I wear a watch to take vitals all the time before the ambulance shows with doc in the box...

it would be the only reason I can find for watch.

That's solved also.

From fast to slow you have.

Holy [bleep].
Whoa.
OK.
Uh oh.
Oh, [bleep].

easy to determine without a watch.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
yeah, but teh guys in the white box demand a bit more precise...

if its Holy.... then I"m off to doing other more important things. to prevent it from getting to Oh....

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L

I care mostly for what I think, and I think it makes one look puerile to have ones head in their phone.

Do what you wish...but others do judge you based on your actions and behaviours, and to "not care" is a foolish attitude.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

I care mostly for what I think, and I think it makes one look puerile to have ones head in their phone.

Do what you wish...but others do judge you based on your actions and behaviours, and to "not care" is a foolish attitude.
You can waste an awful goddam lot of your life givin a shyt what other people think. No thanks.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Remington 870 Wingmaster and Benelli Nova. Two different eras but same result. Reliable, inexpensive shotguns. ANDE saltwater fishing line as well.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

659 members (160user, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 1973cb450, 69 invisible), 2,934 guests, and 1,209 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,263
Posts18,467,132
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.