D
Thanks, John.

Good stuff.

DF

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Not an Accubond but a plain 130 Nos ballistic tip out of a plain .270 Win at 335 yards. Exit side shown here. Buck made 2 hops and went tits up.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
.30-06, 150g AB, exit side, 2010. Nephew's antelope, ~200 yards
[Linked Image]

.30-06, 150g AB, my 2010 cow, ~282 yards. No exit on a neck shot, suspect the bullet stayed in the vertebra.
[Linked Image]

.338WM, 225g AB, exit side. 2011. ~262 yards
[Linked Image]

.338WM, 225g AB, exit side, 2013, 487 yards
[Linked Image]

.280 Rem, 140g AB, entrance side, 2011, ~200 yards
[Linked Image]

.30-06, 150g AB, exit side, 2014, ~50 yards
[Linked Image]

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I've shot probably 10 critters with accubonds...mainly .257" 110s and .338" 225s. Critters include elk, mule deer and antelope, plus some random coyotes and such.
My experience with accubonds is that they work great when put behind the shoulder...at any normal velocity. My one constant with these bullets is that if you put one through the shoulder, a mess is created.

These lung shots had great results...little damaged meat and a very dead animal.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Here is a very dead animal with a very messy set of shoulders
[Linked Image]

Can't totally blame this mess on the bullet...bone shards and that nasty, gritty bone marrow being blown into the shoulder meat is NASTY.
[Linked Image]

Good bullet overall, but I have moved on to other things.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Can't totally blame this mess on the bullet...bone shards and that nasty, gritty bone marrow being blown into the shoulder meat is NASTY.

Bone fragments can definitely wreak some havoc. I wonder if that same shot had been made with a Barnes bullet or a hard cast bullet if the damage from the bone would have been as great though? I.E., if a hard monolithic bullet would be less explosive on impact and pierce the bone more directly.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Maybe. My one monolithic kill was a whitetail buck out of the relatively slow 6.5x55. Not a fair comparison as I spined him and put another through his shoulder (accidentally...I was aiming for his neck) as he was thrashing around. There was quite a bit of bloodshotness on the finisher....but not as much as the above elk.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I shot 10 plains game with 180 gr. Accubonds in my .300 Win Mag this year. I'll be switching back to the TTSX because too many stopped in the animal for my taste.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Gringo Loco
Originally Posted by T_Inman

Bone fragments can definitely wreak some havoc. I wonder if that same shot had been made with a Barnes bullet or a hard cast bullet if the damage from the bone would have been as great though? I.E., if a hard monolithic bullet would be less explosive on impact and pierce the bone more directly.

There is no "explosive" effect in a bullet, but I understand the point being made...

Mono bullets do not make nearly the mess of a lead-core bullet and can be intentionally driven through a shoulder without making the mess a lead-core bullet can just passing near a shoulder.

Massive meat damage is the primary reason I left lead-core bullets for monos, almost exclusively.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter

[Linked Image]

Posted a link to the wrong picture. Here is the correct one.

[Linked Image]

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
The Accubonds I have tried are 160 gr. 7MM bullets and then only on deer at short ranges under 150 yards. Three I think and in comparison to the number of deer an hogs I have taken with the 150 gr. Ballistic Tips a small number. I recovered none of the three Accubonds, exit holes were within reason but I can say the same of the 150 gr. Ballistic Tips. Both bullets are very accurate, I would use either for any deer hunting I might do but for all else I am going to use a Partition generally the 160. Until I ran out of them I used the 140 gr. Partition on feral hogs almost exclusively shot from my 7x57 then started using the 150 gr. BT's. I never actually stopped one of the 140's but I did capture a few of the Ballistic Tips in larger feral hogs. I guess I should limber up the 280 AI and test the 160 gr. Accubonds on some hogs alternating with the same weight Partitions and see if any real differences show up.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Sitka deer

There is no "explosive" effect in a bullet,

You may be correct about "in the bullet" but definitely wrong if you meant in the animal. I shot a smallish doe with a .300 Win pushing a 162 or 168, I don't remember. The near side scapula went about forty feet high and the whole chest cavity was the exit wound. At the place where the exit side skin used to be was a hole about 5-6" across.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Palidun,

The Accubonds I have tried are 160 gr. 7MM bullets and then only on deer at short ranges under 150 yards. Three I think and in comparison to the number of deer an hogs I have taken with the 150 gr. Ballistic Tips a small number. I recovered none of the three Accubonds, exit holes were within reason but I can say the same of the 150 gr. Ballistic Tips. Both bullets are very accurate, I would use either for any deer hunting I might do but for all else I am going to use a Partition generally the 160. Until I ran out of them I used the 140 gr. Partition on feral hogs almost exclusively shot from my 7x57 then started using the 150 gr. BT's. I never actually stopped one of the 140's but I did capture a few of the Ballistic Tips in larger feral hogs. I guess I should limber up the 280 AI and test the 160 gr. Accubonds on some hogs alternating with the same weight Partitions and see if any real differences show up.

Please do it.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Ringman
Sitka deer

There is no "explosive" effect in a bullet,

You may be correct about "in the bullet" but definitely wrong if you meant in the animal. I shot a smallish doe with a .300 Win pushing a 162 or 168, I don't remember. The near side scapula went about forty feet high and the whole chest cavity was the exit wound. At the place where the exit side skin used to be was a hole about 5-6" across.

I have seen lots of cases of extreme destruction caused by bullets... still does not mean there is any such thing as "Explosive Effect" in bullets.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I always shoot them dead square in the shoulders. I have never had to look for one. I know I'm going to catch flak for saying that, but wading around in cactus and rattlesnakes aint fun. When you go with a guide, that is the first thing he will tell you. There's not much meat on a deer shoulder. They bone it out to make hamburger anyway. They are dead before they hit the ground.

Last edited by hanco; 08/05/16.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by hanco
I always shoot them dead square in the shoulders. I have never had to look for one. I know I'm going to catch flak for saying that.....

Not from me.... smile

Bullets that handle those shot s are a good idea.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by hanco
I always shoot them dead square in the shoulders. I have never had to look for one. I know I'm going to catch flak for saying that, but wading around in cactus and rattlesnakes aint fun. When you go with a guide, that is the first thing he will tell you. There's not much meat on a deer shoulder. They bone it out to make hamburger anyway. They are dead before they hit the ground.

As someone who hunts the brush country, you'll never hear flak from me for shoulder shooting. All it takes is to see a 6' rattler to make one see the light.

Only a fool would sell an accurate .30-06
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Amen

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I never saw the sense in looking for something if you don't have to....rattlers or not.

Cripes doesn't everyone see the value in killing something fast?

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
The only Accubond load I have in the house is 338 cal and 300 grains, it leaves at 3000 fps, I've never found a fired bullet either, but have always found the game, admittedly, I haven't used it on elk, moose, big bear or any other heavy game, but would have absolutely no concern in doing so.

From zero to 1000, that sombitch hits HARD!

Trump Won!
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by BobinNH
I never saw the sense in looking for something if you don't have to....rattlers or not.

Cripes doesn't everyone see the value in killing something fast?

I, also, am a firm believer in drt. There is not much meat on the front shoulders of a deer/antelope anyway and it is well worth not having to trail them.

I killed a deer just yesterday doing some depredation work. I shot her on the point of the shoulder and angled back through the lungs, exiting behind the shoulder on the other side. I only lost one shoulder in the end and it was well worth it to not have to track her into the swamp.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

607 members (10Glocks, 007FJ, 12344mag, 1Akshooter, 1badf350, 160user, 68 invisible), 2,261 guests, and 1,290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,307
Posts18,449,115
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.