Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
JMR40 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
I've actually had it about a month, but wanted to wait before posting anything to be able to give a more honest evaluation. I've been driving this Toyota for 9 years and 172,000 miles. It has been a great truck that did what I needed. But in 9 years things have changed.

[Linked Image]

We needed a bigger truck and went with a 2014 F-150. I ended up getting the 5.0 V-8 instead of the 3.5 V-6 turbo. I looked at buying a new 2016, but didn't want to trade in the Tacoma. My wife wants it. She wanted something bigger than the Honda, but not a full size truck or SUV. I still think that most of the time you do better in the long run buying new, but without trading the Tacoma that wasn't going to happen. I bought this a few days before Memorial Day weekend and found a motivated dealer. I'd been looking about 2 months and this is the 1st used one I found that was worth the price. Most are either half worn out, or within $3000-$4000 of new.

I also considered a 2012-2014 Tundra, but there were extremely few available to choose from.

[Linked Image]

I think Ford is onto something with the 3.5L turbo, but for my needs the 5.0L was the better option. EPA ratings only show the 3.5L at 1 mpg better, but based on actual owners I've talked to and my own experiences there is no difference. FWIW, so far the fuel mileage is exactly the same as my Tacoma, 16-17 around town, 19-20 hwy.

Properly equipped the 3.5L will tow more. But every single 3.5L truck that I looked at, new or used, came with 3.31 gears. Every single 5.0L I looked at came with 3.55's. The big numbers Ford advertises are with 3.73's, and if both engines have 3.73's the difference is less than 1,000 lbs. This will tow anything I'll ever hitch to it. If I towed heavier stuff or more often I'd have probably held out for a new 2016 with the 3.5L and gotten the 3.73's

Price was the deciding factor. All else being equal the 5.0L was $1500-$2000 cheaper. I passed up a 2013 with the 3.5L and 27,000 miles at the same price I paid for the 2014, 5.0L with 17,000 miles.

So far I'm very pleased. It is a much smoother and quieter ride than the Tacoma. The older I get the more important that is, especially on longer trips. My favorite feature is the 36 gal fuel tank. I haven't let it get below 1/4 tank yet. But it is nice to buy gas when I WANT to, and at prices I want to pay rather than buying every 300 miles because I NEED to.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
GB2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Very nice truck. I think you made the right decision by going with the 5.0. There's been a lot of discussion about the ecoboost in the fords as of late. I don't think I'd want a truck with a turbo on it that I know is going to go out at around 100,000 miles. Just not worth the extra headache. That's a beauty of an f-150, should be great for years to come. See what TFL had to say about the ecoboost vs. the 5.0:

Owners perspectife of 5.0 vs. ford ecoboost

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Congrats! I think you'll be very happy with that pickup.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
DId the same thing 2 months ago , I have had 2 4 door tacomas and they were simply too small and cramped especially for long trips.

I think you made a great choice , wish I could have found a similiarly equipped unit but they are in short supply here and they have pretty darn good resale value as well. Pretty picky on what options I wanted in it did not help matters.

I was on the fence between the 5.0 and 3.5 ecoboost. I drove both models and decided to go with the 3.5 after talking to a few owners.

I ended up getting a great deal on a 2016 F150 3.5 ecoboost and could not be more pleased. I get 24mpg on the Highway 19 around town which is 4 more then the Tacoma and the power is unbelievable. Mileage prior to complete breakin was 17 mpg and I thought I would end up slighly higher maybe, to my surprise it is now fantastic. The truck came with a 3.55 gear ratio.

The Turbo design such a smart idea, every manufacturer will come out with their version in the coming years . They use 2 very small turbos that are also water cooled and the max torque 420 lb comes on at 2500. It is Funny how almost all diesels have turbos and no one thinks twice about buying them and how many of these are watercooled?

J
JMR40 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
I did a lot of research, talking to actual owners and spent a lot of time looking at you-tube reviews and came to the same conclusion as the guy in the link bsa provided. While the 3.5 can be set up to tow more weight, both are limited by 5,000 lb rated hitches from the factory. And I think you'll run out of combined carrying capacity before you get to the max trailer weight.

They found a way to get 25 more HP from the 5.0 in the 15's and 16's and the aluminum bodies are about 700 lbs lighter than my truck. A 15 or 16 set up just like mine is rated for 9,000 lbs. Mine is rated at 7700 lbs and more than I'll ever pull.

From what I have determined the only real difference is that on hills the 3.5 wants to run about 2500 rpm's and will stay in 4th or 5th gear. The 5.0 will maintain the same speeds, but wants to run closer to 4000 rpm in 3rd or 4th gear. You'll get to the top either way.

The 3.5 is supposed to be able to tow around 12,000 lbs if set up right. But I think you are getting into 3/4 ton truck territory with that much weight.

The 5.0 is using proven technology. I feel more confident that it'll be trouble free for 200,000 miles. The 3.5 might be just as reliable. But the technology isn't proven yet.

IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
The Truck Version of ecoboost has been out for almost 6 years and millions of vehicles. They make a smaller version for their cars. I think that qualifies as proven. The 5.0 v8 engine in the 2016 is a new design
as well and has been around for about the same time as the ecoboost.

I go up highway 421 to Boone, NC it is an 8% grade. I go up it easily at 1900 rpms 65MPH and I mean easily. I am turning 1900 rpms at 75 mph on flatland.

I don't plan on towing anything heavier then 4k or so when I do. If I wanted something for towing 12k I would have bought an f350. That said I have every conceivable towing enhancement on this truck but it came with it and I didn't special order it .

Enjoy your new truck it is nice and certainly an upgrade from the Tacoma you drove , I know it is for me.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think they're both great engines. I'd likely roll toward the 5.0 if I was buying these days.

Funny that I recently went the other direction, going from a full-size F150 to a Tacoma, but this was mainly because I spend a fair bit of time in the woods. The Ford was just too big and heavy. The Ford was more comfortable, but the Tacoma just fits my needs better.

Now with even more aplomb
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by JPro
I think they're both great engines. I'd likely roll toward the 5.0 if I was buying these days.

Funny that I recently went the other direction, going from a full-size F150 to a Tacoma, but this was mainly because I spend a fair bit of time in the woods. The Ford was just too big and heavy. The Ford was more comfortable, but the Tacoma just fits my needs better.

It would be tough to beat a TAcoma in a tight spot for sure , My back and hips were killing me on long trips and comfort won out.

J
JMR40 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
That was a big reason for keeping the Tacoma too. It has proven to be the best vehicle I've ever owned. Different vehicles for different uses.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yep.

As an aside, my father bought a dark brown version of your blue truck in 2014, same truck otherwise. He's racked up a ton of miles on it in a few short years and really likes it for long-hauls. He's also got little Toyotas for the offroad stuff.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

It would be tough to beat a TAcoma in a tight spot for sure , My back and hips were killing me on long trips and comfort won out.

Which is why I'm in my 06 Tundra with the bulletproof 4.7 liter V8

I have thought about stepping up soon though as traveling with the kids would be so much more fun if I had a huge backseat

J
JMR40 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
In the 40+ years of buying and trading vehicles I've never traded or sold one that I wouldn't have liked to have kept. When I was younger I bought what I could afford and made it work. As kids came along and other things in life changed often I found the vehicle I owned no longer got the job done. I've never traded just because I wanted something newer or fancier, or even worn out.

In 2002 I bought a Supercrew very similar to this 2014, but made the mistake of getting the 4.6L V-8. In that big of a truck it was a dog. Fuel mileage was only 13 city and 16 hwy. I think this is why I'm hesitant to try the 3.5L. My mind says it will work just fine, but they told me the same thing when I bought the 4.6L in 2002.

I traded it for the 2007 Tacoma and at the time am confident I made the right choice. The Tacoma gets 17ish city and 20ish hwy and actually has more power than the F-150 with the 4.6. Over most of the 9 years I've owned it gas was $3-$3.50/gal and 4mpg over 172,000 miles does add up.

In 2007 my youngest had just moved out and it was just me and my wife. The smaller truck wasn't bad. But now I've got 3 grand kids and something a little bigger is needed.

The Tacoma has some peeling paint and a couple of dings which don't bother me at all. But really hurt trade value. I decided it was worth more to keep than trade or I'd have gone with a new 2016.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by JMR40
In the 40+ years of buying and trading vehicles I've never traded or sold one that I wouldn't have liked to have kept. When I was younger I bought what I could afford and made it work. As kids came along and other things in life changed often I found the vehicle I owned no longer got the job done. I've never traded just because I wanted something newer or fancier, or even worn out.

In 2002 I bought a Supercrew very similar to this 2014, but made the mistake of getting the 4.6L V-8. In that big of a truck it was a dog. Fuel mileage was only 13 city and 16 hwy. I think this is why I'm hesitant to try the 3.5L. My mind says it will work just fine, but they told me the same thing when I bought the 4.6L in 2002.

I traded it for the 2007 Tacoma and at the time am confident I made the right choice. The Tacoma gets 17ish city and 20ish hwy and actually has more power than the F-150 with the 4.6. Over most of the 9 years I've owned it gas was $3-$3.50/gal and 4mpg over 172,000 miles does add up.

In 2007 my youngest had just moved out and it was just me and my wife. The smaller truck wasn't bad. But now I've got 3 grand kids and something a little bigger is needed.

The Tacoma has some peeling paint and a couple of dings which don't bother me at all. But really hurt trade value. I decided it was worth more to keep than trade or I'd have gone with a new 2016.

[quote][In 2002 I bought a Supercrew very similar to this 2014, but made the mistake of getting the 4.6L V-8. In that big of a truck it was a dog. Fuel mileage was only 13 city and 16 hwy. I think this is why I'm hesitant to try the 3.5L. My mind says it will work just fine, but they told me the same thing when I bought the 4.6L in 2002./quote]

Thought the same thing , boy was I wrong .

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The various 5.4s were loads better than the 4.6L versions.

I think Roush is now offering bolt-on roots blowers for the current 5.0 F150 and claiming 600+hp. Bet that would be a hoot......

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
The various 5.4s were loads better than the 4.6L versions.

I think Roush is now offering bolt-on roots blowers for the current 5.0 F150 and claiming 600+hp. Bet that would be a hoot......

that 5.0 is sweet and best of all no AFM

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I'm with the OP, especially with regard to the 36 gallon fuel tank. I have an 09 F150 4x4 with the old 5.4 V8 and it gets about 19 mpg freeway (with bigger off road tires I put on it). I deer hunt about 140 miles from where I live and have to go off road about 15 miles to get to the location. From there, I crawl up and down logging trails in the truck and often get about 10 mpg in 4wd low. With the 36 gallon tank I can make the entire round trip without ever having to refuel.

I don't tow and I don't drag race the truck, so the 5.4 is plenty fast for my needs. It's also been bulletproof reliable in the 7 years I've had it.

Eliminate qualified immunity and you'll eliminate cops who act like they are above the law.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Remsen
I'm with the OP, especially with regard to the 36 gallon fuel tank. I have an 09 F150 4x4 with the old 5.4 V8 and it gets about 19 mpg freeway (with bigger off road tires I put on it). I deer hunt about 140 miles from where I live and have to go off road about 15 miles to get to the location. From there, I crawl up and down logging trails in the truck and often get about 10 mpg in 4wd low. With the 36 gallon tank I can make the entire round trip without ever having to refuel.

I don't tow and I don't drag race the truck, so the 5.4 is plenty fast for my needs. It's also been bulletproof reliable in the 7 years I've had it.

That says a lot for your old pickup. I have an 04 GMC that I really like, but have been thinking about getting something with a little more room (4 doors). However, I think just about everything on the drivetrain has been rebuilt, except for the engine and it only has 140,000 on it. I'm very thankful I enjoy rebuilding a tranny, rear end, front differential, and transfer case about every 10 years... Bull chit... laugh . It's been proven, in the harshest conditions that the Ford pick-up stands up better than anything else made. When they say "Ford tough", they aren't lying... Back when I was a kid, I used to buy old "mine trucks". This is what I called them, as they came from the gold mines of Nevada. I would buy 3 or 4 year old Ford F-150's and F-250 4x4's for a couple thousand each, sometimes even less. One of my favorite pickups was a 1990 F-250 with the 5.0. That thing got 20 mpg on the freeway and was a fun truck to drive. Not a hot rod by any means, just a fun truck to drive. I remember buying that one in the fall of '93 and paying $1,900.00 for it. It had 119,000 miles on it... Those were the days... crazy

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
W
WRO Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W

That was a good choice, you'll have something to drive while your ford is in the shop.

I just traded in a 2011 F150 which quite possibly was the biggest piece of crap I've ever owned. SS nickle and dimer until the engine went tits up at 120K. Back in a tacoma and couldn't be happier.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by WRO

That was a good choice, you'll have something to drive while your ford is in the shop.

I just traded in a 2011 F150 which quite possibly was the biggest piece of crap I've ever owned. SS nickle and dimer until the engine went tits up at 120K. Back in a tacoma and couldn't be happier.

You mean like a 2006 Tacoma that had a Front engine seal go (1500), 2 front wheel bearings(500 and 700) and 3 recalls (Leaf springs replaced,rust issues and seat belts ) it now has 104k on it and needs new u joints as of last week , that one is a extended cab TRD sport with a V6 and 6 speed .

I also had a 2009 TRD sport 4door that had 2 rear wheel bearings go(all under extended warranty ) that had plastic roof mouldings blow off in a car wash(brushless) and was constantly getting the wheels aligned(known issue) .

I did own a 2014 which was traded in on my 2016 F150 that only needed the wheels aligned twice in 25K. That was the most trouble free one albeit not a full size pickup in comfort or even gas mileage.

Last good Tacoma was 2003 everything since has been watered down. So as of now I own 1 Tacoma and hope that nothing else happens to it . Not holding my breath

J
JMR40 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
Just got back from a few days camping and am catching up.

My 07 Tacoma has been the best truck I've ever owned and I was seriously tempted to go with Tundra for that reason. After 9 years and 172,000 miles I've replaced tires, brakes, serpentine belt, shocks, battery, plugs and one U-Joint. Probably the only unexpected problem was the HVAC fan at about 150,000 miles. It has some chips in the paint from gravel roads that are peeling and a couple of dings that really hurt resale or trade value. I simply decided it was worth more to me to keep it than trade. Love the truck, but there are times when I needed bigger.

Will the F-150 be as good. Probably not, but I doubt it'll be horrible either. I've owned others in the past, paid for a few small repairs, but never had any major issues. If I'd gotten the 5.4 in the 2002 truck I probably would have kept it a lot longer and never gone with the Tacoma.

On the 3.5 vs 5.0 I do like the 3.5. But I never found one configured the way I wanted it. When you compare the 3.5 with 3.31 gears to the 5.0 with 3.55 gears all the advantages of the 3.5 are gone. It is a virtual tie in performance and the 5.0 was enough cheaper to make the decision for me. Had I found a 3.5 with 3.55 gears at the same price I likely would have bought it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
683 members (1Akshooter, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 77 invisible), 3,110 guests, and 1,452 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,678
Posts18,399,550
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.