Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by WayneShaw
So I've been wondering why I haven't been getting as many eggs lately. Couple days ago I opened the chicken house to check the water and saw a big snake skin shed inside the house! We have mostly black snakes around my place. So how would I go about catching this thing?

Are you sure your chickens aren't molting?

I'd try to snakeproof the coop, as I like snakes keeping the populations of mice, rats, gophers, starlings, etc down.

But I see your already working with a fishhook set up. Seems like not such a nice way for a critter to go.

The rolled up "deer" fence or what one uses to keep the birds off fruit trees will work. I had some around some tomato plants to keep the quail and pheasants out but kept catching gopher snakes. I went to rabbit fence or large chicken wire.

Good luck,

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
GB1

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Funny in a way, the problems different regions produce.

Never a worry about snakes here, but had to 'owl-proof' my coop last year.

I know some that have to bear-proof theirs with electric fencing.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
[Linked Image] almost stepped on this one beside the chicken lot yesterday

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Allen917,

My grandmother didn't have snakes that bothered her chickens, but she had one of those glass eggs and a home-carved wooden one painted white.She called them 'fool eggs'.

Their primary purpose was to train a hen that wanted to drop eggs on the ground instead of in the nest. She would place the fake egg in the nest and place the hen in the nest with it.
After 1 or 2 tries, the hens usually got the idea.

Myron

How many peckers can a Pecker Checker check if a Pecker Checker could check peckers?
(stolen from shootinurse)
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dang I hate Copperheads , rather be around a Rattler anytime.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A good friend lost one of her prize "Service Dogs" this AM, to a damned Mojave,...with our recent rains, they're on the go. Two bites to the head, and the stout, healthy dog was gone, IV anti venom at a local Vet clinic notwithstanding.

The damn thing's still loose on her place, or headed in my general direction.

One of the more troublesome things we're noting is that a LOT of Mojave bites are not forewarned with rattling.

...looks like disenchanted Mau-Maus are not the only ones resorting to ambush, and practice thereof.

Caged mice, maybe ?

Thoughts ?

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Damn a Mojave.

Deadly little bastids.

Was shredding a ranch a few days ago and shredded a large McCartney Rose growth, and there was a big cotton mouth under it. By the time I got the tractor shut down and walked back there with 1911 in hand, it was gone...

I hate cottonmouths worse than anything.

They are born pizzed off.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Barry, if you don't have a cab on your tractor you can get them sumbiches before they disappear. Ask me how I know... grin

BTW, I'm with you about killing them.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You can build a funnel trap or just use a minnow trap. It doesn't hurt to put an egg or two inside.
Placed along a wall or other obstruction is best.

$$$ TRUMP AT THE PUMP 2024 $$$
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

231 members (360bull, 1_deuce, 30Gibbs, 416RigbyHunter, 264mag, 1beaver_shooter, 34 invisible), 1,443 guests, and 1,117 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,219
Posts18,447,455
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.