Print Thread
Hop To
G
GSSP Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
Out yesterday, testing my new Win 1892 in 45 Colt. The 285 LBT WFN bullets I cast up to 12-15 BHN run perfectly in the rifle. Seems to like 22.5 to 23.5 gr for 1540 to 1610 fps.

What I did not was on several occasions, I would push the tang safety, back, on to safe. When it came time to fire it, i'd forget to take it off and got the obnoxious "click". I feel that in dire circumstances (Murphy is always lurking), I don't want to 1) ever hear that click and 2) don't want to have to think about moving that safety off since the rifle would be carried with an empty chamber and i'd simply lever in a round when needed. So, is it possible to disconnect that safety without making it permanent? If the rifle is ever sold, I rarely sell my guns, I can reinstall it for the next owner.

Second item. I did replace the factory rear Buckhorn sight with a Skinner rear peep. I like it and will keep it. I did notice, with my near 58 yr old eyes, it was hard to maintain proper sight picture for elevation, with the brass bead. Are their options out there, replacement front sights, etc, to help with such problems? Black Partridge? Fiber optic? Different color bead?

Action is, I guess since i've never owned a lever gun, fairly smooth. If i'm wrong, what is a cheap way to smooth up the action and lighten the trigger? My old RCBS spring trigger gauge goes to 4.5 lbs and mine will exceed that.

I did come home with a little color on my shoulder. Start benching 70+ rounds of 285 gr bullets, all between 1365 and 1617 fps, and it gets a little uncomfortable with that curved steel butt plate. Suggestions?

I know the rifle is rated for the loads I'm shooting but what about long term? Are their things I should watch for to see if parts are loosening, peening, failing, etc? I read somewhere that this or similar model's magazine tube is press fit into the receiver, not screwed in, and can peen itself to death with heavy loads. Maybe that's for the 454 Casull.

Thanks for any info.

Alan

BP-B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
The safety can be easily disabled or removed, removing it will not require any alterations to the parts so you can put it back someday.

The trigger can be vastly improved but it has to be done the old fashioned way buy stoning the sear and hammer. Not for the novice.

I've put recoil pads on the crescent butt guns before but it is an undertaking. And you can't go back once it's done. Take the butt plate off and cut or grind the crescent out of the buttstock but stop right at the bottom of the radius. Now put your butt plate back on, only the top screw will have anywhere to go, and scribe the top of the plate and cut it off level with the butt so everything is straight. Now install pad like normal and grind to fit, you just have a steel heel plate on your comb. It sounds weird but actually looks better than if you tried to graft in some wood and if you just cut past the heel plate you'll have a super short LOP.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
The mirouko japchester is far above the quality of the Brazilian crap. You won't bend anything with your loads. I've shot mine for twenty five years with a 310 at 1550. Very slick and very worn.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
How about a slip on recoil pad for bench work/load development? I shoot pretty stiff loads in my '92's and they are not bad at all from field positions.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Question is...Why would you want to feed that gun a steady diet of those loads?

Do you enjoy the abuse?

Mighty fine gun that would really be a pleasure with ordinary loads...that will do about anything that you might ever want to do with it.

I am your age, been doing this stuff a long time and the longer I do it, the more I realize that those loads that I have spent so much time sending downrange...are seldom if ever needed in the real world. A 250gr bullet at 1200 to 1400fps is nothing to be trifled with. JMO

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
The 92 is just about the strongest lever ever built. Rossi chambers it in .454 Casul and that is a 65,000 PSI round.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by JoeBob
The 92 is just about the strongest lever ever built. Rossi chambers it in .454 Casul and that is a 65,000 PSI round.

I know, I have one...

G
GSSP Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by JimLuke
Question is...Why would you want to feed that gun a steady diet of those loads?

Do you enjoy the abuse?

Mighty fine gun that would really be a pleasure with ordinary loads...that will do about anything that you might ever want to do with it.

I am your age, been doing this stuff a long time and the longer I do it, the more I realize that those loads that I have spent so much time sending downrange...are seldom if ever needed in the real world. A 250gr bullet at 1200 to 1400fps is nothing to be trifled with. JMO

Well Jim, since you asked, i'll let you in on a few things.

1) I'm a simplist when it comes to some things. One bullet. One load. Two firearms. Some of places I tromp, have tromped and will tromp have either large animals that I hunt or animals with big, nasty, sharp claws and teeth. Either of these firearms, with said load will help keep my hide attached in one piece.

I'm talking about stuff like this bull taken at 15 yds by yours truly with a 45 Colt.

[Linked Image]

and this gorgeous, near book, interior grizzly taken a few hundreds away from the above bull, a few days later.

[Linked Image]

2) As JoeBob alluded to, along with my research on the topic, others with far more knowledge and experience than me have brought to my attention the modern 1892 action is very strong and will handle this load (I settled on 23 gr for 1150 fps/< 3" 50 yd groups from the 5-1/2" Bisley and 1550 fps/<2" groups from the 1892) quite easily.

3) I never said anything about this being a plinking load, which if it were, yes, I might tone it down a bit. Also, in the world of 45 Colt loads, mine is neither sedate nor top tier. Take a look at some of the Buffalo Bore ammo out there if one wants to stomp on something.

4) Last but not least. Maybe it's because I just woke to find your post without having had my coffee. Your post, to my mind, came across quite "judgmental". Did I, indeed, read it correctly? If so, well...... If I did read it incorrectly, understand I tried to keep my post civil.

Alan

Last edited by GSSP; 05/19/16.
J
JFE Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Nice animals taken with a handgun !

Here's a link to a good article on loading the 45LC in leverguns that you might find helpful.

http://www.leverguns.com/articles/paco/45coltlevergun.htm

Regarding your stock, if it were me I'd find a shop that could provide a shotgun butt replacement. Best to check but I believe Win 92 and 94 butt stocks are interchangeable. That was for the originals and don't know about the Miroku versions.

The major issue with Win tube fed levers and a steady diet of heavy loads is just how poorly the mags are attached. A few have reported that mags have come loose on 92's and I've had problems with an 86, which have a similar method of attachment. Even the mag tubes that are screwed can shear the fine threads with heavy loads. On the last rifle I had made up (B71 in 45/90) I had some parts silver soldered in place and used mag retention parts from Marlin. This is working well and nothing has moved.

Regarding the safety, if you intend to keep this rifle I'd look to have the safety removed and rebounding hammer swapped over with Browning parts. It does mean the hole left in the tang would need to be welded and refinished.

Since you are looking at one load and sticking to that you should take a look at the sights made by Ashley Outdoors. They are rugged high viz sights but not so user friendly if you want to tinker with loads and change sight settings often.

HTH

Last edited by JFE; 05/21/16.
IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Moose: I agree with you about the "Brazilian crap" adjective when it comes to fit and finish but not strength. My Rossi 92 in factory chambering of .454 Casull has digested a lot of full power loads with no problem. Paco Kelly's 454 has digested way more than mine with no appreciable loosening of the action.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
GSSP, thinking your operating in a different "real world" than JimLuke & probably 99% of the rest of us as well.

That is some work taking down those two huge critters with your 45 Colt chambered handgun. Assuming you had some serious backup lurking nearby if things didn't go as planned. At least I would, if I ever worked up enough balls to go for it.

Love to see a pic of your Bisley Ruger?

You never mentioned the powder type, H110/ WW296?

We deal in lead, friend.
G
GSSP Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
Back then, it was Lil'Gun. Now, it's H110....and thank you.

Alan

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by GSSP

[Linked Image] Alan

You whacked this Grizzly with the 45 Colt too?

Throttle fixes everything. If it doesn't fix the problem, it’ll end the suspense.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
573 members (222ND, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 57 invisible), 2,356 guests, and 1,090 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,597
Posts18,398,204
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.