Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Finally able to sneak into photobucket! Here's that condor blade I mentioned earlier.

[Linked Image]

Simple and straight forward.

My knife needs are rather simple. I'm happy toting an old Carbon steel butcher knife with me. I like those Ontario and old hickory knives. Cheap and the work for me. And if I loose one in the woods it's no biggie. Easily replaced.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Journeyman
The whole "bushcraft" thing cracks me up... It must be a metric fook ton tougher to survive in a backyard in a US city than it is here on our ranch in central Idaho, and my wife's family place in Argentina...and this from a guy who spent a large portion of his career in Aberdeen, Scotland and the Lakes region of the UK, where "bushcraft" supposedly emerged, as well as 4 years in Norway and Denmark...yet despite shooting clays at the international level each week, F Class and Hunter Class benchrest, and hunting birds, roe, red, muntjac, fox yada, yada on a steady basis, never heard the term until I returned to the US and became an internet addict...

Sounds like you have a very hairy chest.

Im not crazy about the term either but people know what your talking about when you use it. The term is tied to the term SURVIVAL which I hate because I don't go surviving, I go camping. Bushcraft is a term from across the pond the proper term for the essentialy same doings in the U.S. is WOODCRAFT. And it has been around since before Horace Keyport and George Washington Sears who both wrote books about it. I don't like the word but it's an necessary evil so people will know what your talking about. It has nothing to do with survival, it's about making thing out of natural stuff like wood while screwing around in the woods so you don't have to pack/carry in a bunch of stuff. It's fun and good for your mind.

All though Im not a fan of the word and I do acknowledge the mall ninja types who you speak of but maybe they wI'll get their fat video game playing kids out of the house and take them camping. That's a good thing. I have fished my whole life and hunted since I was 13 or 14 but I really didn't know much about plants and outdoor skills then i started thinking about my grandparents and great grandparents, what they had to do and make out of what was available to them at the time. My generation has lost tons of knowledge that was common knowledge one or two generations ago. Then I flipped a poke boat in the Nolachucky river on January 26th about 6 or 8 years ago. A man needs to be able to start a fire when it's cold and his lighter is wet. I should have been more prepared. I think that's how the SURVIVAL stuff gets tied to the word BUSHCRAFT. Cause when your not in the backyard of a u.s. city stuff can happen and when your cell phone is soaking wet and your truck is at least a mile up the river after a 21 day below freezing stretch and your cotton socks are freezing to the ground as you get rid of your cotton underwear and tee shirt, it makes you think, Hummmmmmmmmm, maybe I could have done this a little different.

Well looky there, my chest is hairy too. 😆

Last edited by seal_billy; 06/10/16.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The whole "bushcraft" thing cracks me up... It must be a metric fook ton tougher to survive in a backyard in a US city than it is here on our ranch in central Idaho, and my wife's family place in Argentina...and this from a guy who spent a large portion of his career in Aberdeen, Scotland and the Lakes region of the UK, where "bushcraft" supposedly emerged, as well as 4 years in Norway and Denmark...yet despite shooting clays at the international level each week, F Class and Hunter Class benchrest, and hunting birds, roe, red, muntjac, fox yada, yada on a steady basis, never heard the term until I returned to the US and became an internet addict...

LOL...I'm not sure what shooting BR and/or clays has to do with anything other than your ego but as far as the bushcraft crowd goes....a wise old woodsman I know calls em "Trinket Mullets".... laugh
The way I see it the "Bushcraft" trend consist of mostly harmless young city dwellers that want a taste of the outdoors but being educated in the 21st century they don't have the ability to think for themselves so they buy into a bunch of BS from a handful of posers who convince em that they need to attend their bushcraft/survival classes and buy their gadgets....

Bottom line.....no matter where you live or whether you pitch a tent or build a shelter out of palms...it's just camping...
A good knife...or small knife and hatchet in my case...will enhance the experience either way though... smile

Last edited by FieldGrade; 06/11/16.
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Yep.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BigNate
[quote=BigNate] How does the Condor blade hold an edge? I'd have been more apt to try one myself if it had been at least 1095, better yet 5160, O1, or A2. Condor makes a great axe.

" Sorry about this but I was thinking of Council Tool out of North Carolina. Council Tool Hudson Bay camp axe Hopefully nobody bought a Condor axe based on my comment! blush "

+1
I have one of Councils boys axes....handy as a pocket on a shirt and one of the VERY FEW good products still made in the US.....

IC B2

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
I bought a couple of them Marbles hatchets that are made by condor. Hey. For the money they Are fine by me. But like I mentioned earlier my needs are simple.

Trinket Mullets,,,,,,

Hmmmmm???? laugh

Founder

WS

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
I bought a marbles camp axe. I like it so far. It has a good grained hickory handle and the shape and size is very handy. Idk how great the steel will be over time. There's this guy on youtube who has a channel called wranglerstar. He does lots of axe and other wood processing tool reviews. He's the real deal not a new box from ups reviewer.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Troy, I see you slinking around that Bushcraft site.
I'm always watching. You will not know me by poboy.
The bushcraft people are crazy about the "dangler style"
knife sheaths.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
The bushcraft people are crazy about the "dangler style"
knife sheaths.

Prolly a puukko thang. Just speculation on my part. Got a little wood Jewel
puukko that's this past year has 3 elk, an oryx, a nilgai, and bunches of fishes to its account. Heck! Good steel for $35!

Founder

WS

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Poboy, you stalking me? Lol. What's your user name on that sight.

Kwood, I'm in the camp of you don't need a 300 dollar knife to use in the woods too. I saw a Turley on there for sale for 650 dollars for a used knife! What are these people thinking?

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
I bought a couple of them Marbles hatchets that are made by condor. Hey. For the money they Are fine by me. But like I mentioned earlier my needs are simple.

Trinket Mullets,,,,,,

Hmmmmm???? laugh

grin

Those Council boys axes don't cost very much either....less than $25 IIRC....they don't come with a guard but it's easy enough to cobble something together to keep it from chopping up the rest of your gear on the way to camp......

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I never heard the term "Bushcraft" until a few years ago floating around on the Internet.

From my early youth until today it has always been "camping." As in, "Hey, you guys wanna go camping this weekend?"

"Sure thing."

"Okay, grab your stuff and we'll leave Saturday morning."

That was about it. Our "stuff" consisted of old Army blankets, a couple surplus Army shelter halves, a few cooking utensils lifted from mom's kitchen, a fishing rod and reel, a .22 or .410 shotgun and we were good to go. I had a good Camillus Stockman pocket knife and an old butcher knife my mother donated to the cause. Always had a full Zippo and jar full of strike-anywhere matches and a few Band Aids. Never needed anything else. Some food items and what a great weekend we would have "camping."

Maybe I should get with the program and do some "bushcrafting" so I can be in the in crowd. grin

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by seal_billy
Poboy, you stalking me? Lol. What's your user name on that sight.

Kwood, I'm in the camp of you don't need a 300 dollar knife to use in the woods too. I saw a Turley on there for sale for 650 dollars for a used knife! What are these people thinking?

careful there Troy, I got keelhauled on the trade marked bushcraft site, for laughing about a Turley knife going for over $1700 on the secondary market. smile

Sam......

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by FieldGrade

LOL...I'm not sure what shooting BR and/or clays has to do with anything other than your ego but as far as the bushcraft crowd goes....a wise old woodsman I know calls em "Trinket Mullets".... laugh
The way I see it the "Bushcraft" trend consist of mostly harmless young city dwellers that want a taste of the outdoors but being educated in the 21st century they don't have the ability to think for themselves so they buy into a bunch of BS from a handful of posers who convince em that they need to attend their bushcraft/survival classes and buy their gadgets....

Bottom line.....no matter where you live or whether you pitch a tent or build a shelter out of palms...it's just camping...
A good knife...or small knife and hatchet in my case...will enhance the experience either way though... smile

Sorry, I've been in China of all places the last few weeks. I have several offline messages from friends that I needed to return and reply to this thread.

What I was trying to convey above (and obviously failed here, though in similar discussions on other boards everyone seemed to get it...???) was that I spent 8 years on and off in the Lakes region of Northern England, and in Aberdeen, Scotland. The QUOTE "BR and/or clays" thing have ZERO to do with ego and EVERYTHING to do with the topic. The BR/clays/hunting experience was simply meant to show that I, being 4500 miles from home and looking for outdoor activities, spent a lot of time with a cross section of outdoorsmen from the place where this "bushcraft" stuff supposedly emanates, yet that broad spectrum of outdoorsmen, a great many of them ex and former Forces, had never heard the term. No ego, no hairy chest, just an observation...

And - I still think it is silly.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
well I guess that just closes the topic. You are right, and everyone else is 'silly'. laughing.

Sam......

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (12344mag, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 16penny, 160user, 51 invisible), 2,312 guests, and 1,191 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,614
Posts18,454,947
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.