Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Hi there,
Good luck on your African adventure. This is my third trip to Africa for hunts. One trip to South Africa and two to Tanzania. Of the two, I enjoy the Tanzania experience much more than the lodge hunt in South Africa. However, I recommend that you start your hunting plan with a species list. Figure out. What you want to hunt. If that species is not located in a certain country, then by all means, don't choose that country.

The next step is to determine what kind of hunting experience you want. If you want to stay in a lodge every night, then choose a country in which this type of hunt is more common, such as South Africa. Same issue with respect to free range vs fenced hunting areas. If you want at tent or tent cabin hunt in the bush, then perhaps Tanzania is a better choice. I don't know about any other countries, so perhaps others can chime in.
The next step is to choose an outfitter. If anyone offers you a certain species with a certain score, then you can presume that the hunt is for auctioned animals and that it will be in a fenced area. The issue of hunting areas and wild game are issues that you will need to have a frank discussion about with your outfitter.

Selecting an outfitter can be a daunting prospect. Fortunately there are a few tools available. First and foremost, there is a subscription based service called The Hunting Report. You can pay for a subscription and get online information at The Hunting Report Website I subscribed to it for two years, It is worth it's weight in gold as it is based on hunter reports, rather than on professional writers, who owe their next story to whoever gave them a free trip. I suggest that you give serious consideration to a paying for a subscription.

If you want to know who I have used in the past in South Africa and in Tanzania, please message me. I will get back to you.

GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I've only been to Africa once (so far), so take this for what it's worth.

1.) take less cloths, and more money....

2.) taxidermy: After having it done in Africa, I will never have it done there again.....dip/pack and have it done in the states.

3.) Don't know about your area, but I took tick repellent, and was glad I did.....the dang things were literally attaching to my boots for some reason.

4.) In addition to any meds you have prescriptions for, I would advise that you get some doxycycline (antibiotics)for treating tick fever, should you get it.

5.) place anything valuable (binos, cameras, laptops, etc) in your carry on.

6.) +1 for whomever mentioned chapstick and sunscreen.

7.) I made sure I had some Rand prior to going over, for tips & small purchases and stuff.....everyone says "just use the money machine at the airport", but what if it's broken? Or you don't have time?

8.) as far as taxidermy cost, I will be more selective next time as far as what heads go on the wall, what will be skull mounts, and what will be photo only. Just remember that if you leave the trophy in country, you will still be required to pay the VAT on the trophy (its still cheaper in the long run).

Have a great time, enjoy the hunt, don't get caught up with tape measures and such, and don't forget to post photos when you get back............

"If you dog thinks you're the greatest, don't go seeking a second opinion!"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Arange dip pack and ship of your export through a well known and professional USA taxidermist

They will arange pick up of your salted hides and skulls and keep the d/p/S charges to a reasonable price.

South Africa is becoming famous for ripping into the wallets of happy safari clients after the last handshakes are well over. The happy clients are not uncommonly billed at a much higher than expected rate months later.

Use a USA taxidermist such as The Artistry of Wildlife or Jerry Huffaker and they will arange literally everything for you and at the lowest rate possible....no surprise bills

Do this BEFORE you leave!!!! for your hunt.

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
G
garCH Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
that helps a lot on an important consideration!

Yesu ai zhongguo
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by tedthorn
This picture might be tough to duplicate though

[Linked Image]

Ted,

I'll say it again, this is one of the coolest African game pictures I've seen! Love it!

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I borrow rifles on all my overseas hunts. No hassles, no firearms control, no overweight baggage or second bag...whatever. I've heard too many horror stories about getting guns through security to want to deal with it. I paid $50 to rent my PH's 30-06 AI when I went to RSA. Well worth it, unless you're just dying to use your own. On 5 animals, my longest and hardest shot was about 100 yards standing still...hardly worthy of "knowing your rifle", though the possibility of a long or hard shot is always there, and I did shoot that rifle several times before going hunting.

As far as the other suggestions, it is all spot on.

More money, less cloths.

Carry everything valuable in your carry on, plus a change of cloths and your boots. You can continue your hunt with the bare essentials if things get lost.

I had my stuff mounted by Highveld, (4 Euro mounts and an impala mount) and do not regret it, though next time I likely will have it things shipped to my taxidermist in the US instead.

I stayed at the Afton house in Joberg, and really enjoyed it, but it seems others have had issues there.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
If you are a rifle looney, like most folks here on the 'fire, you will want to take your own firearms. For me, the planning of bullets to use, practice with my own firearms, and the satisfaction of harvesting game with your own stuff, makes the additional hassle well worth effort.

I have in the past used an outfitter's firearm, and in one instance, it ended up in a near disastrous result, this on a Beceite Ibex hunt in Spain. Never again!

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
G
garCH Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
Thanks again to all!
taking my Tikka 695 300 WM because I'm familiar with it, confident in it, great trigger and accuracy, synthetic stock, weaver superslam 2.5-10 scope. enjoyed working up the load: norma brass, 180 gr accubonds, R22, CCI 250; it's about 1/2 MOA at 100, have practiced to 300 where it's 6"low. nothing fancy but effective.
now I have a couple weeks to practice on the primos tripod

Yesu ai zhongguo
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Take along a small flashlight for getting around camp at night.

Also....don't forget to take an electric plug adaptor for South Africa

We took a all-in-one adaptor and it didn't work in SA

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

The 3 prong was the dominant one we encountered and was able to borrow one from our host family

IC B3

G
garCH Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
Thanks: have small flashlight laid out to pack, and have that adapter but didn't know it was the one I'll need

Yesu ai zhongguo
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Most definitey take a 3 large prong adapter. Most newer electronics are multi-voltage.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor Member
G
garCH Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
Many thanks to all. Nick and I had a great hunt in the Eastern Cape arranged by Wade Derby!!
hope to go again

gar

Yesu ai zhongguo
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wadecrosshairconsulting.com

Wade is a top shelf booking agent!!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This picture might be tough to duplicate though

[Linked Image]

Awesome.
I want one of those.

Have Dog

Will Travel

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Take along a small flashlight for getting around camp at night.

Also....don't forget to take an electric plug adaptor for South Africa

We took a all-in-one adaptor and it didn't work in SA

+ 1 on a small flashlight but you might also want to consider a headlamp so you can have both hands free as the need arises. I carry a small flashlight and a headlamp in my person in the event that I have to walk back to the vehicle or camp after sundown.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by sbrmike
Most definitey take a 3 large prong adapter. Most newer electronics are multi-voltage.

Although it's very true that most electronics are multi-voltage, please be aware that voltage is Africa is 220 Volts. Would not hurt to double check the voltage of your appliance/device before use.

G
garCH Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
I had a GREAT hunt in Eastern Cape arranged by Crosshair Consulting with Kei River Hunting Safaris. I bagged fine kudu, nyala and reedbook and my pal gemsbok, blesbok, hartebeest, reedbok and impala. all the advice helped!

Yesu ai zhongguo
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Congrats! Glad you had a great time!

So.....now that you've been infected.....when ya go'n back? laugh

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by garCH
I had a GREAT hunt in Eastern Cape arranged by Crosshair Consulting with Kei River Hunting Safaris. I bagged fine kudu, nyala and reedbook and my pal gemsbok, blesbok, hartebeest, reedbok and impala. all the advice helped!

Great. Andrew and gang do a fine job.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

501 members (22kHornet, 280fan, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 39 invisible), 2,637 guests, and 1,087 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,286
Posts18,467,868
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.