Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Hunters and anglers invited to Sportsmen's Roundtable caucus July 14, resident license fees on the agenda
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. ‐ Colorado Parks and Wildlife urges hunters and anglers, or anyone who wants their voice heard regarding wildlife issues, to attend the next southeast region Sportsmen's Roundtable caucus in Colorado Springs on Thursday, July 14, at 6 p.m. at the Hunter Education classroom at Colorado Parks and Wildlife’s regional office, 4255 Sinton Road.
“These roundtables are imperative for CPW to have a finger on the pulse of what our anglers and sportsmen of the region want to see in terms of regulations and resource management, and to better understand how this agency is perceived amongst a key stakeholder group,” said Southeast Regional Manager Dan Prenzlow.
Several important topics are on the agenda, including a presentation by CPW's Policy and Planning section seeking sportsmen's input on funding the future of wildlife management and conservation in Colorado.
CPW anticipates budget shortfalls which could be offset by increasing resident license fees. The last increase occurred in 2005, and since 2009 CPW has cut or defunded 50 positions, and cut $40 million from its operating budget. Wildlife managers caution that additional cuts are inevitable without an increase in revenue.
"Colorado's natural resources are experiencing the pressure of a growing human population, increasingly fragmented habitat and declines in the number of young people involved in hunting," said Prenzlow. "This agency has done it’s best to manage resources on an already shoestring budget, but now we need to find effective ways to increase revenue. We need to have this important discussion with our sportsmen and women."
CPW’s wildlife management programs are funded by user fees, generated primarily by the sale of hunting and fishing licenses. Unlike other state agencies, CPW does not receive general fund revenue.
Currently, a limited elk license for resident adults costs $46. Resident youths pay $10.75 for limited deer, elk and pronghorn licenses. Limited deer license and pronghorn licenses are $31 for resident adults.
"Colorado big game hunting opportunities are arguably some of the best in the country and that is a testament to the hard work and dedication of the state's wildlife managers," Prenzlow said. "When you compare our resident license fees to states that do not provide the same quality opportunities, you might understand why an increase is necessary. Colorado hunters and anglers care deeply about our wildlife resources and we are prepared to make our case in front of them."
The roundtable leadership consists of four appointed members and two elected members. Twice each year, the Statewide Roundtable, which has representation for each region caucus, meets with the CPW Director and other members of CPW's leadership for detailed discussions about a variety of wildlife management challenges.
Prenzlow said the need for selecting region representation for the statewide caucus and feedback on a possible fee increase makes this meeting one not to miss.
Anyone interested in becoming an elected caucus representative is encouraged to attend the meeting. The election will be held the same evening with votes cast by attendees. Elected members can serve two‐year terms and are expected to organize regional caucus meetings and be available to constituents, serving as their representatives for regional concerns during the statewide meetings.
Who: Sportsmen's Roundtable Caucus
What: Regular caucus meeting and election
When: Thursday, July 14, 6 p.m.
Where: Colorado Parks and Wildlife Hunter Education Classroom, 4255 Sinton Road. Call (719) 227‐5200 for additional inf

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Parks and Wildlife- Wildlife provides the funds and the damn parks spend it

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If they're not careful, they'll rise prices too much and lots of folks will say [bleep] it...I ain't hunting anymore...Montana did it, and they ended up losing total revenue. I think Montana's situation involved NR fees, but the principle remains.

Seems many of those making the decisions didn't take many economic classes.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I'm trying to help Colorado's "shortfalls"

Problem is........I send them $2k and they send it back

Year after year I try to be a paying customers but to no avail......they won't keep my money

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Maybe they should open a pot shop or two - CPW Rocky Mtn High - or just sell out their offices. laugh laugh laugh

The logo could be a Bighorn munching on some "green".

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tedthorn
I'm trying to help Colorado's "shortfalls"

Problem is........I send them $2k and they send it back

Year after year I try to be a paying customers but to no avail......they won't keep my money

They keep your $3 application fee and $10 Habitat Stamp fee., plus the interest they made off of your generous loan.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I'd like to know what they'd spend the extra revenue on but a $10 (or so) increase on resident tags is something I could live with if they'd spend it wisely. Still a great deal especially compared to NR fees.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm sure they know they are going to raise the fee. Those round table meetings are to make you feel good, as if you helped with the decision.

It's just more tax.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Arizona and Utah make you buy a license just to apply and get a preference point. Wyoming makes you buy points...Colorado is still the best deal going.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Oregon also makes you buy a license to get into the draw, I stopped hunting there when they had left over tags in my unit but I got caught up in the non resident 5% tag cap. I figure Colorado will just increase the cost of non resident tags like they usually do.

IC B3

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Just another Bureaucracy needing more money ! When are they going take some serious measures to address point creep..

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Point creep is a byproduct of too many hunters and too few tags.
The next generation will see the opposite problem.

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Too many people with too much money. I'm guilty. My daughter and I are up to our necks in the Colorado point system. I'm coming out when I cash in my deer points. After that it's all about taking her for elk and deer. She should have a nice pile of points when she graduates college. Like so many folks I got in with big ideas. Then found myself caught up in the "creep".I started in 2007. Great timing eh? I'm going to hunt unit 66 one way or another. Rut hunt preferably.

There is no way to reign in these upward spirals in license costs. Short of a boycott. Don't see that happening.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
I predict in the not too distant future we will see a drastic change in the preference point system and a lot of people are going to be extremely unhappy..

One change could be to stop issuing them and let people use them up,but even that may take one generation

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Colorado screwed up the small game hunting with so many regulations, fees, and madatory surveys that I quit hunting pheasant, doves, and quail about 15 years ago.

Prior to that, Colorado added a wildfowl fee on top of the Federal fee, so I stopped hunting ducks and geese.

Their fishing and camping became so overly regulated and expensive that I now fish only in Nebraska, even though it is a 500 mile round trip to do so.

Having to buy a $10.00 non-refundable habitat stamp just to take a chance at a deer tag is crooked enough IMO. Raise the rates much more and I will say screw it to Colorado period.

Wyoming is looking more and more like the next state I will become a resident of.

JMO

BH63

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Resident tags for Colorado are a bargain. Before they had to absorb Parks CDOW was run as close to a entrepreneurial enterprise as a state agency could be run.

One of the biggest problems this state has are the number of consumers who leach off the enormous public system putting pressure on limited resources that only sportsmen financially support. They won't significantly increase fees on anything due to the wringing and gnashing of teeth that come from all corners.

This isn't a welfare program, but one of the very few government models that actually work when funded properly and administered by people other than bureaucrats.

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
If Wildlife funds did not supplement parks funding, there would be enough money to fund the wildlife department. Initially we were told parks would not get any money from wildlife now they do.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Initially we were told parks would not get any money from wildlife now they do.

And that is about the standard of how CO govt works and has for years. Make statements to lease the masses and then do what ever they wanted to do in the first place.

Now if Wildlife is to support parks, what happened to the lottery money, 50% of which was to cover openspace and parks? Oh yeah, it went elsewhere.

No fear, no doubt, all in, balls out.

"America"
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Yep, same as road and bridge fee increase for vehicle registration was suppose to go for road and bridge repair. Now we find it it is being syphoned off for other things. Then here in El Paso county the idiot voters pass the Pikes Peak Rural Transit Authority tax for road improvements and maintenance. Then the county quickly diverted the funds that were already being spent and put them else where and then spends the PPRTA moneys for other things than road improvement It is almost most comical but the Colorado Springs voters then approved another sales tax to fix pot holes. You guessed it the money is being spent for other road projects.
Colorado Springs sales tax is just shy of 10% now

I will be out of town this coming week but,I hope others can attend that meeting and demand ,no increase in license fees until no money is given to parks that came from wildlife funds

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
After 62 years I have a plethora of the lies to reflect on.

Wish I could but a little out of my way that day.

No fear, no doubt, all in, balls out.

"America"
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
841 members (1234, 12344mag, 12308300, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 80 invisible), 3,244 guests, and 1,331 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,712
Posts18,400,249
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.