-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It's been FIFTEEN years since a GREAT crew ranging in age from 11 years to 76 and I did a 21 gun event with one well run 1 3/4" gun, down in front of the church, in Palominas Az.
Sheriff Larry Dever had wryly sent down word that, "It's not a firework, it's a cannon",....so we were cleared right from the top.
HUNDREDS of flags flying, and well over 400 folk in attendance.
We hauled the gun into a prepped area, already roped off,...having followed the Parade Marshall's car at the front of the Parade, on the back of my old Welding rig.
Once it was established that all horse and riders were cool with a racket, either trailered, or unsaddled / hobbled / rode off home....we cut loose,....
FUNNY evolution followed,...We (quite naturally) had the gun laid on Naco,Sonora,...way off over the horizon,....beyond the Upper San Pedro River,...which lay maybe 3/4 mile below the gun's muzzle.
On shot number 3, the crew chief grabbed me and pointed down range.
Initial reaction ?,...."Oh Chit, I PROMISED not to start a grass fire, and thought we were far enough back from the dry grass". Well we WERE, and it wasn't a fire, our soaking wet wads were performing to spec, and the area we'd cleared off was actually twice that required.
Nope,...it wasn't a fire....Down below us, stampeding and raising the damnedest cloud of dust you've ever seen was a fairly large HERD of "Migrants",....I guess in that time we could actually still call them illegals.
I'll grant that there was a bit of a lengthy pause while this unscheduled part of the parade commenced, and a LOT of laughter erupted.
Hell,...we went back to work, only this time loading the "other Cartridges, from the Other Box",...blanks,....but of substantially heavier charge weight,...
Nobody really knows when those poor folks down there quit running, local legend has it that some were seen, still' haulin' azz a mile south of the line.

Our current Cochise County Sheriff and I did a little nostalgia cuise back to that event this PM.He was there and we both agreed that less than 2 months later, the world changed forever.
Since than rocking an entire valley with thunderous blasts has tended to put some on edge, and just wasn't very "P.C.".

I'm pleased to say that he's cleared a path for us to do a little bit of celebratory, and contemplative Ceremonial Artillery work here at my place on Monday, the Fourth.

Semper Coonass, and let freedom RING!

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I used to get visits from the local LEO agencies, Now they just want to shoot up all my powder.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Don't light them off unless we have had rain. Only shoot steel wool with wd40 over snow, New Years don't ya know

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Oh,....postscript to the above.

The ONLY complaint that was recorded at that 2001 shoot was raised by a very scruffy, bad smelling, bleeding hippy who was renting a shack off to the N.E.
He'd partied all night in Bisbee, and was asleep ( we're talkin' 11:00 in the AM here folks) with his dog,....
The American celebratory volume was way to high for the two of them,...and both awakened in fright. I guess the dog thought it wise to chew on him a bit to dispel his anst.
A complaint WAS taken,....but no citations ever seen forthcoming thereafter.

Both Border Patrol and the Cochise County Sheriff's Department agreed that that particular stretch of the line got "real quiet" for weeks after.

GTC

-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I will drive an 18 wheeler from Laredo Texas to South Carolina.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by blanket
Don't light them off unless we have had rain. Only shoot steel wool with wd40 over snow, New Years don't ya know

Amen, bro. There's currently NO way that we'll have dry grass by Monday,....we are (finally) getting a rather early, and most welcomed monsoonal trend.

I'll be candid about something,....Back in '01, I don't think ANYBODY would have cared if we'd burned out a pit of the cover down along the San Pedro. We DID have permission from all of the landowners in our fan,....

GTC

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
Originally Posted by blanket

Amen, bro. There's currently NO way that we'll have dry grass by Monday,....we are (finally) getting a rather early, and most welcomed monsoonal trend.

I'll be candid about something,....Back in '01, I don't think ANYBODY would have cared if we'd burned out a pit of the cover down along the San Pedro. We DID have permission from all of the landowners in our fan,....

GTC
Most folks don't know about the fires from the cannons that burn't across the battlefields

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Just cleaning up from a 4 night fly fishing trip to the Redfeathters Lakes area. I never go anywhere on a holiday. Too much traffic, turons, and PIA crowds. I let the M-F/9-5 crowd slug it out. Maybe grill some, drink cocktails and of course watch the local fireworks.

Happy Birthday America.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Work the 4th (volunteered).
Forced to work tomorrow.

Next weekend fix the kid's car and blast groundhogs.

Was the plan for this weekend..........but with factory being stupid, figured better work the OT while I can.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Lay on Waikiki beach then watch the fireworks at Ala Moana

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Pot luck Barn party with some friends. Blew my knee out a month ago so won't be doing much. No weight on the leg for another 3 months. Will do some pulled pork sandwichs and watch someone else ride my horse.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wife won't be down till the 18th so I'm just gonna chill and get some yard work done up on the mountain, drink a beer or two, shoot the 45 and try to get my hands on some tannerite .

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Running a recaust plant and lime kiln 2300-0700. Unless I trade, will be off for the holiday Mon 0700 - Tues 2300. If'n things continue to run good - it'll be a fine weekend. For festivities, nothing's forsure, maybe grab a bag of fireworks to entertain myself and the 2-year old and might throw something in the smoker.

Cheers to the 24/7/365 workin' stiffs and drivers too! wink

Ours is not like this-
[Linked Image]
More like this-
[Linked Image]
Sorta mixed with this- and 40 years run down.
[Linked Image]

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
We're hoping to return the compressor & rock drill before the 4th, and take a day off. Gonna be marginal, though.
(1/4 mile to go)
smile

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I was told my 'presence was expected' at the family cookout today (Sat.). Nothing planned after this- probably do a little reloading, might do a little shooting.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Well, overseeing the Maintenance shutdown at work again this year, as usual. So will stay close to home in case something comes up as I'm on call. Plan to grill some sort of dinner on Monday and then the boy and I are off to a West Michigan Whitecaps baseball game in the evening, replete with Fireworks afterward!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by mark shubert
We're hoping to return the compressor & rock drill before the 4th, and take a day off. Gonna be marginal, though.
(1/4 mile to go)
smile

Hope you get done with that.
Enjoy the time off as well!

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
To early to decide

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by bea175
To early to decide

Gotta ease into it... Go with the flow...

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
No plans, im gonna do whatever i feel like doing when i wake up. I do have a thought in the back of my mind that it would be nice to ride the Xr650r in the mountains early before anyone wakes up and take a rod to wade fish a creek before it gets so hot you could fry an egg on your sidewalk. I will grill something and i do know im gonna make tacos sometime this weekend because i have been craving them for days. Maybe drink a little dark beer.

I took a short spin on the bike this morning to the dollar store on a nice twisty road to get some marvels mystery oil, she has been sitting a while so i put a tad in the tank. She was running very well, power wheelies on lonely stretches did my heart good.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (160user, 11point, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 1eyedmule, 54 invisible), 2,987 guests, and 1,247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,352
Posts18,468,867
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.