Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
rost495 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
Ok, with the ohter thread going, no doubt that was a stupid move on the parts of the guides, but I've another question.

Suggestion is Carolyn and I do rafting down here first.... in the next 3 or so years we will remain here.

No need in buying twice.... Would be wife and I, neither are large folks, I"m around 185, she about 112.

Would be for floating for fun, fishing and for hunting in the fall I'm sure.

Where do we start raft wise? I don't want to spend twice.

And there are obviously chances the raft would be flown out to drop now and then, and that we could be thinking as large as a single moose if possible on a float.

Might be that is not all possible in one raft but open for opinions.

We have access to a small V hull AL boat, down here we have 2 airboats and a 21 foot heavy Hydra sport, and a tunnel hull 16 foot flat bottom. But we have no jets or jet boats.

What I"m getting at is I think I have access to most anything else we'd need eventually, so this is a river floating only question

And FWIW I'm not fond of canoes... I don't care for the instability.

Thanks, Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Incredibly tough question because there are so many options. Long floats too often start as a raft drag to deeper water, or the same thing in the thin braids at a river mouth. Those little canoes are sure handy then.

The flip side, pun intended, is stability and weight (in large part) are not there. Choosing a raft for ease of flying means lost stability.

For a do-almost-everything raft you need a rowing frame. Some are removable, just make sure what you are getting into when paddling without the frame.

Rafts can be intentionally flooded to add stability. They cannot be made smaller though...

Whitewater designs give up a huge amount of internal capacity to the tubes.

A better way to start would include getting an idea of the rivers you would intend to float eventually.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
R
rost495 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
I figured one size didn't fit all.

No clue on rivers to float in the future. Will mean a lot of research for that.

Will be based out of Delta Junction so thats a start of an idea for me to look at maps in that area.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Into self-abuse much? Texas heat to DJ wind and cold...

wink

Every size and type float from near there...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
R
rost495 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
Tired of the TX abuse. LOL. Carolyn won't be able to stay for 2-3 winter months I"m sure... but me.... LOL I'm stupid, its what my boss tells me all the time anyway...

99 in the shade currently.

IC B2

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
We will meet you when you come into town(Fairbanks) then at Sportsman's Warehouse. It is one of my parttime jobs that allows for gear purchases towards my eventual move back out to the Basin(four years out). We have a 14ft Otter that is about 1000 under retail.

Your wife will do fine in Delta. We have a gift shop in Pioneer Park and the one of our vendors is a lady and her neighbor from Delta that do fursewing and trapping. They both came up with their husbands from Ohio. The two couples bought adjoining 20 acre ranchettes from a barley farmer. They both built up places during the Spring, Summer and Fall. It got cold and windy in December and the husbands got cold feet. The husbands moved back to Ohio and the wives stayed. They go visit their husbands in July which is when they both have time off from their other jobs. (one is music teacher and other works at school).

Last edited by kaboku68; 07/02/16.
R
rost495 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
Cool.

I'll try like heck to remember that when we move up! Have not flown into Fairbanks in years but when we move we'll be driving up anyway wiht the powerstroke so no biggie to duck into town!

Thanks for the help!

Sure hope its not me that gets cold feet. LOL.

Jeff

V
Vek Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
We had one moose and some gear on a 14 otter bailer and it could have taken a lot more. Cadillac, but heavy. Easy boat to run.

One moose plus camp in a pp is cozy for one, but easier if the water is easy and you don't need to suspend the load low between tubes vs stacking across tubes.

Never have run a cataraft.

Offhand, seems a 13 round boat or bailer with a super simple frame would get you in the 1 moose game.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
rost495

I started with a 16 foot aire cataraft, I soon began to dislike it because of all the parts and bulk. I wanted a boat for fly ins. Sold It.

I then bought a 13 foot NRS and used it for about 12 years for my float hunts
It will carry a moose, 2 guys and camp. This size is slow when loaded down.
Weights about 86 lbs.

I now have the 14 foot NRS otter with solid floor and it carries more weight than the 13 footer and is much more nimble to paddle.
Had a moose, two sheep, two guys and camp , plus a 2 hp honda. It was a load but handled it with grace. This one weights 100 lbs.

I skip the rowing frame and use canoe paddles to cut weight with my rafts.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Shuuuuusssshhhhhhhhhhhh! They are Texans! For Gods' sake!

wink

IC B3

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Hush, Art. They are upgrading...

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
[/size]
Originally Posted by las

[/size]shhhh.. whisper it!

Last edited by Sitka deer; 07/03/16.

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
[/size]
Originally Posted by las

I don't think that [/size] thing does what you think it does...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by budman5
rost495

I started with a 16 foot aire cataraft, I soon began to dislike it because of all the parts and bulk. I wanted a boat for fly ins. Sold It.

Weights about 86 lbs.

I now have the 14 foot NRS otter with solid floor and it carries more weight than the 13 footer and is much more nimble to paddle.
Had a moose, two sheep, two guys and camp , plus a 2 hp honda. It was a load but handled it with grace. This one weights 100 lbs.

Experience is hard to trump have done a lil bit of floating

Achilles double ender

Rikon double ender, self bailing

Another double ender who's name eludes me currently (rental)

And aire catarafts

All had frames, sans one lil double ender we floated birch creek to birch creek village on

Putting together the Aires or other catarafts are a pita as bud man eluded too

With that said we just purchased our 2nd one last season

My pards a machinist & scallops the frames to reduce weight & imprints letters on the alum frame to make assembly a lil easier

Here are the major reasons we opted for a second cataraft, though at least one of those reasons are a moot point now with the asymmetrical tubes they offer these days

Lightly loaded a double ender will run off & leave the cat in its wake

But when hauling game we had to put 1.5 moose on the cataraft & .5 moose On the d/e

Hanging up in shallow water: often in the cat you just hop off the cooler seat down into the middle & just pick up on the frame on either side to keep the boat moving whereas on the d/e you have to jump out & then back in, may seem trivial to some but it's not where the river is braided or starting out up high. Lots less energy consumed & much easier ime to keep it from hanging up

Retrieval of dead moose, if you kill a moose a ways from the river but there's a creek or lake that cuts distance for the pack pretty slick to unleash one tube ( ours are both twin tubes of same size so it's like a mini canoe almost ) load some quarters on it lash em down and float quarters to river instead of carrying them on your back

Also because it breaks down smaller I find them easier to load in an aircraft

They truly are a bit of a pita to assemble & or break down than a d/e but for me the advantages of the other stuff I mentioned are worth it

Love to float hunt, though it's a lot of work breaking down and reassembling camp when on the move, still cruising a river with a load of game is just hella cool ime

[img:center]http://URL[/img] [img:center]http:// [img]http://[URL=http://s235.pho...0pics/raftingTikchikloadeddown.jpg[/img][/img]

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by KuiLei
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
[/size]
Originally Posted by las

I don't think that [/size] thing does what you think it does...

You noticed that, too?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit
Originally Posted by budman5
rost495

Weights about 86 lbs.

Experience is hard to trump have done a lil bit of floating

Achilles double ender

Rikon double ender, self bailing

Another double ender who's name eludes me currently (rental)

And aire catarafts

All had frames, sans one lil double ender we floated birch creek to birch creek village on

Putting together the Aires or other catarafts are a pita as bud man eluded too

With that said we just purchased our 2nd one last season

My pards a machinist & scallops the frames to reduce weight & imprints letters on the alum frame to make assembly a lil easier

Here are the major reasons we opted for a second cataraft, though at least one of those reasons are a moot point now with the asymmetrical tubes they offer these days

Lightly loaded a double ender will run off & leave the cat in its wake

But when hauling game we had to put 1.5 moose on the cataraft & .5 moose On the d/e

Hanging up in shallow water: often in the cat you just hop off the cooler seat down into the middle & just pick up on the frame on either side to keep the boat moving whereas on the d/e you have to jump out & then back in, may seem trivial to some but it's not where the river is braided or starting out up high. Lots less energy consumed & much easier ime to keep it from hanging up

Retrieval of dead moose, if you kill a moose a ways from the river but there's a creek or lake that cuts distance for the pack pretty slick to unleash one tube ( ours are both twin tubes of same size so it's like a mini canoe almost ) load some quarters on it lash em down and float quarters to river instead of carrying them on your back

Also because it breaks down smaller I find them easier to load in an aircraft

They truly are a bit of a pita to assemble & or break down than a d/e but for me the advantages of the other stuff I mentioned are worth it

Love to float hunt, though it's a lot of work breaking down and reassembling camp when on the move, still cruising a river with a load of game is just hella cool ime

[img:center]http://URL[/img] [img:center]http:// [img]http://[URL=http://s235.pho...0pics/raftingTikchikloadeddown.jpg[/img][/img]

I agree it is a very cool way to go... I'm just not into babysitting rookies these days...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Jeff, take a look at the Levitator, I think that may be as close to a do all raft that you will find. Personally I'm a huge fan of the Pro Pioneer but that boat is designed with mostly 1 purpose, float hunting shallow rivers and creeks.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

V
Vek Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
We had a levitator and a 14' otter on the same float hunt...otter all the way once on the water. The lev serves a purpose, but it is ALL TUBE, and stubby with no rocker. The bulk of gear and meat gets stacked higher and higher, vs. being spread out on the otter.

I've heard of guys buying two Soar 16s or PPs or aire canoes and catarafting them together with a frame, yielding both skinny headwater/tributary ability, and load carrying ability with frame for motoring on big slow water.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I've never hunted out of a raft but have done 24 or 25 trips on the Gulkana helping with a float trip ministry. We have cats, Aire rafts, Kings and NSR Otters. I've rowed them all except for the Aire 18 foot, and if I had to choose an all around for hunting, fishing and recreation it would be the 14 foot NSR Otter self bailer with a rowing frame.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I don't have any experience with this raft. I just thought it looked good and it was a killer deal.

https://www.amazon.com/White-Water-...&s=boating-water-sports&sr=1-231

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

168 members (10gaugemag, 19rabbit52, 30Gibbs, 35sambar, 345dl, 1_deuce, 25 invisible), 2,769 guests, and 979 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,278
Posts18,467,643
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.