Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Bought the first Browning 1886 I ever handled. Forearm is slightly loose. Any suggestions? Any thoughts or comments on rifle in general?

BP-B2

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
This should be a fine firearm. I'd shoot it and see how it works...if it is accurate I would either leave it alone or if it annoys greatly the judicious use of epoxy died brown to match the stock and release agent on metal would fix it.

J
JFE Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I had one of these when they first came out. They are a quality rifle without the additional tang safety and rebounding hammer of the later Winchesters.

The action is strong, much stronger than a Marlin and it also allows a longer OAL to cycle through the action. The chamber has no throat and this may effectively limit the OAL that you can use. You can always opt to have the throat lengthened. The barrel dimensions are tighter than you generally see on Marlins. I've slugged a few of these Miroku barrels and they measured 450 (land) / 457 (groove). Accuracy was excellent and the rifle deserves some sort of tang or aperture sight.

The carbine stock is fine for light loads but it's design is far from ideal with heavy loads. There are leather butt pads you can buy that may help. If you can find one, the buttstock from a later production Win 1886 lightweight would be a vast improvement.

On my rifle the mag was loose allowing the tube to move fore and aft. It's movement was essentially limited by the pin that runs through the barrel band that retains the forend. With heavy loads the pin would bend. If yours has the same problem I would look to reduce the movement and tighten up this area. I simply replaced the pin and eventually sold the rifle.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
I have had an 1886 SRC for many years. They are very well made and are great shooters. I shoot mostly cast bullets out of mine.
Best of luck with it.

Eric

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
I like it! And I'm not a real fan of the 45/70. But those Browning SRC's are real nice. I prefer them over the rifle for aesthetic appeal!!!! Very nice!!!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

I am a fan. They are very well made, for sure a better made gun than the late Winchester and even better than the original 1886 in terms of metallurgy. I have had several and now have a high grade. I like it a lot and I don't care for many reproductions.

It shoots great and I use it for rabbits mostly, some day I may take it big game hunting if I don't use one of my original Winchesters. I have shot deer with the Browning rifle...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Shrap, you should really use enough gun....

One day, those rabbits are gonna turn on you.

To the OP, that is a nice rifle you have.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by pharmvet
Bought the first Browning 1886 I ever handled. Forearm is slightly loose. Any suggestions? Any thoughts or comments on rifle in general?

I would loosen the front band screw, make sure the forearm is in it's most reward position back into the action, then retighten.

Then would work up a cast lead flat nosed bullet of 500 grains and load with black powder using the barrel ladder sights.

Good Luck, they are FUN! smile

Trump Won!
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Nice rifle. Browning nailed the Win levers. My M71 Carbine and M53 are beautifully assembled.

Conduct is the best proof of character.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
216 members (12344mag, 160user, 257 roberts, 257robertsimp, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 24 invisible), 1,880 guests, and 857 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,793
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.