Print Thread
Hop To
Page 18 of 19 1 2 16 17 18 19
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Gibby
This is the first time I have seen this thread. I have one little tip. I did not read all 34 pages.

If and I mean If your gun needs a pressure point to shoot better. After completing the pressure point and before torquing the action in the stock, place one layer of Teflon tape on the pressure point.

Any movement of the barrel/stock from temperature, moisture will be smoother without ( I guess I'll call it micro rattle) on the contact area.

I know this is getting picky but it does not hurt.

Just my $.02 !

Never had to do that with any of my rugers, but most of them have magnum wt barrels. There's tricks to these things and I don't fully disclose all of them, just never had a need to do what your are suggesting....

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
BP-B6

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
It's a small thing. Like I said it doesn't hurt to do it.

It is mainly for very light barrel profiles shooting groups on bags. Not a reel big thing. Some of the finishes we smear on the stocks stay a little sticky. I know I am splitting hairs here. Particularly on Rugers, it might not be worth the trouble.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Outstanding; very well done..

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I haven't been at the campfire for a very long time. Long story that is over now. I have a question for you. I just acquired an M77 M II (2006/07 manufacture) in .257Roderts. Must have been a "safe queen" 'cause it's pristine.
Problem is I also picked up a Bushnell Yardage Pro Riflescope to use on this rifle. The integral mounting system of the scope is not comparable with the mounting pads on the M77 M II. Do you know of an existing adapter that will allow these to be mated? I'll post this on the "ask a gun writer section also.
Thanks for Your help,
Pete

Handgun Hunter no more. STILL LOVE THOSE .41's
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
my shooting buddy & me do our own bedding, after you do couple dz, you learn all kinds of tricks, opening up the barrel channel, using different methods to keep the epoxy off the wrong parts, the right time to start the clean up process, matching the color to the stock if its wood (in case you need to) we do a lot of bench shooting and its the first thing we do when we get a new addition.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've got a M77 that I acquired several months ago. A Savage
250, and it was advertised as glass bedded.
My first shots were all over the place, then I put it away. This is a nice small rifle with Mannlicher stock.
It has been in my safe until a few days ago.

I suppose I will have to take it apart, and just thinking
of sanding the stock, loosening things up, and giving it another go.
Anybody with any tips with the full length stock.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
First thought is full length bed it and shoot short sessions to keep barrel cool.

Something clever here.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by northern_dave
First thought is full length bed it and shoot short sessions to keep barrel cool.

My update is I did smooth the glass bedding to float the
barrel. There were some rough spots, in a not so well done
bedding job. I used a dowel and sandpaper. Now I've got it shooting well within its capability.

For those with a full Mannlicher stock, any tricks, they may
be harder to get accurate.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Gave son-in-Law #2 a Ruger Hawkeye .30-06 as a wedding present last year. We were never able to get it to shoot well with factory ammo, although it liked the 150g handloads I had developed for my other .30-06s.

A couple of weeks ago I took the plunge and bought an AcraGlas kit from Brownells. Today we took the rifle apart and bedded it using northern_dave's pictures in and narrative in this thread, along with the instructions in the kit.

No pictures but a big "Thank you" to northern_dave. Tomorrow we will get it to the range and see how it does with factory ammo and my handloads.

ALso ordered one of Ruger's new synthetic stocks for my Ruger Gunsite Scout to replace the laminate it came with. Should drop the weight 3/4 pound per Ruger and it has an aluminum bedding block and rear pillar. Might have to put the scope back on to see if the new stock tightens the groups any.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
I hope that worked out for you.

I haven't checked in here in the rifles section for a long time.

I can't believe this is still a sticky.

lol.

Something clever here.

IC B3

O
O
Thanks Dave I have 3 rem. 700s 22-250 s that I am planning to do here. I bought the miles gilbert bed rock kit. Oh & by the way I have never built a rifle in my life & now I have about 25 longs to build.

Ron

R
R
It would be nice to be able to see the pictures.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
They may not reappear. Photobucket screwed around and the original poster has greatly curtailed his activity on this forum.

Last edited by mathman; 07/13/17.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
The change in Photobucket policies has really screwed up some of the older posts all around this site.

Those who must raise their voice to get their point across are generally not intelligent enough to do so in any other way.
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
everywhere actually.

all internet forums are hosed due to photobucket.

Here, try this if you want to see the pictures. They will be out of order I'm afraid. The slideshow will likely run backwards.

slide show?

Something clever here.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N

Something clever here.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
I don't know if that will work or help. Sorry guys, I'm trying. I don't have free computer time like I used to otherwise I would transfer to a different image host and sit down and fix this mess.

And by fix, I mean I'd repost because this thread is so damn old I can't go back and edit.

Something clever here.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Hooray!! All the pics are back! I followed the instructions in Rick Bin's announcement about the Photobucket fix for Firefox and Chrome. Worked like a charm.

Those who must raise their voice to get their point across are generally not intelligent enough to do so in any other way.
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Can you edit to provide a pointer to that post by rick bin? if so; I will delete my request and keep this sticky clean.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Pictures are now back without any tricks.

Page 18 of 19 1 2 16 17 18 19

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
399 members (280shooter, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 1_deuce, 51 invisible), 2,307 guests, and 1,150 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,723
Posts18,400,590
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.