Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
NDHuntr Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hoping for thoughts on fixed vs the QD. Are you giving anything up with the QD over the fixed? Are the QD as stout as the fixed? Are you able to mount the fixed any lower? Looked at their site and it looks like the low rings for both are at .3" above the bases?

Planning on mounting a VX6 1-6 on a Mod 70 Classic in 375 H&H.

Thanks

Do or do not, there is no try.
BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Either is great, I prefer the QDs.,

NDHuntr Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
That's what I was planning. Just wondered if there was any benefit to the fixed over the QD. Thx.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think that the only advantage to the fixed is that they don't have the levers sticking out. The QDs are like having a fire extinguisher in the house, you probably won't ever need them.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."

Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Probably not--but some people prefer to use them because they can take a spare scope on a trip, already sighted-in and set up in another pair of QD's. If something happens to the first scope, the spare scope can then replace it, a shot or two take to reaffirm zero, and the safari can continue with little time lost.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
I've used the QDs with a .458 and a .375. Probably fired 300 or more shots with them. No problems.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
NDHuntr Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thx Guys. QDs on the way.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Even though you ordered....a quick story from my SA hunt...

Scope was damaged by the baggage monkeys. Thankfully I carried a spare in my carry on. I will forever use QD rings on African hunts and carry both scopes with me on the plane. Quality QD's work and work well. Let alone save the headache and quite possible, heart ache.

Trevor
Tract Optics
www.TractOptics.com

Use discount code: 24HOUR5 for 5% off your order!
NDHuntr Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Have been thinking along the same lines. Think I'll do the same. Thanks for sharing.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Used QDs on two Arican Safaris. I never had to use them, but it was nice to know I could have, if necessary.

Good decision.

donsm70

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I have tested my QD's extensively on my 300 WSM's. THey return to exact zero every time.

Throttle fixes everything. If it doesn't fix the problem, it’ll end the suspense.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Fjold
I think that the only advantage to the fixed is that they don't have the levers sticking out.

The levers can be replaced with the screws that come with them. Then, nothing is sticking out.

Throttle fixes everything. If it doesn't fix the problem, it’ll end the suspense.
T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
I did exactly as MD described, second scope mounted in another set of QDs that I took as a backup in case my scope crapped out. Also, like RL28 said above, mine came both with Levers and the screw, so you could use either one. I suppose on Safari, the levers might make it a bit easier to get the scope off without the right driver, but you also have the levers sticking out which can catch on brush. However, I never had an issue with that, both in Africa and Alaska. One thing I did learn, though, is that if you buy the fixed Talley's with just the one screw on top of the rings, instead of the type with two screws, you may have trouble keeping the scope in place inside the rings on a heavy kicker. At least my Dad had that trouble on his Sako 75 in .375 H&H.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
My solution is just a wee different. I mount a good stiff Picatinny rail on my gun with 8-40 screws. I use low tactical rings on my scopes. That is the most secure mounting that I know of. Sight both scopes in on that gun and keep a small torque wrench with the extra scope. That way, I can put the scope on exactly, If I ever need to. My last trip, I gave the spare Trijicon to my PH as part of my tip for the huge Cape Buffalo that he got me to. On my next trip, I may also bring a RMR green dot sight.
JMHOFWIW

Presidents 100-'97
Distinguished Rifleman-'81
NRA Benefactor
Artillery lends dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have Warne QD rings on my 375HH. Either tally copied warne or visa versa? not sure of the truth to the story but they are nearly identical.

On my Warne bases a company called Ashley outdoors makes a peep sight that clamps to the base when you remove the scope. This is a brilliant design which is tough and made with near indestructible construction.

So the 375HH has the basic flip up factory rear sight, the scope in QD rings, and the option of using the Ashley outdoors peep. AS a PH I chose this set of options to be able to have some type of sighting system in the event of failure of the scope or the rear open sight.

The Peep is deadly accurate to 100 yards, the opens are not as good but functional. The 2.5-8X32 VXIII has been on the rifle for about 2 decades and has never been removed due to failure.

If I was not going to have QD rings, I would opt for Leopold Dual Dovetail rings. They are the strongest most bullet proof designed rings made by the hands of man.

There is another company on the scene now that I would strongly consider and actually more then likely choose. LaRue tactical. The rings and bases they make are simply astonishing if your going down the path of QD mounts.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
All of my my rifles have Picatinny bases: A CZ 550 375 H&H, a Tikka 9.3x62, an H&K SLB 2000 .30-06, and PTR 91 .308. I use La Rue QD rings on all of my scopes. Not cheap. Everything pretty much returns to zero.

The deal with La Rue is: "Buy Once ... Cry Once."

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
JJ,
On another .375 of mine, I have the same Warne QD rings and have the same Ashley peep sight for it as you have. It is a cool setup. I always wanted to install a grip cap with a hidden compartment that I could store the sight in , but I never did.

Brockman's used to make a really cool base for Talley rings with a pop up peep sight shown here.
[Linked Image]

Not sure if they still make it or not, but I always thought it would be cool, although it looks somewhat fragile. I've never used one but did correspond with a guy who did and he loved it.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by test1328

Brockman's used to make a really cool base for Talley rings with a pop up peep sight shown here.
[Linked Image]

Talley offers a Peep Sight too.

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
The Talley peep sights are separate pieces that fit on the base after the removal of the scope. The Brockmans has the peep attached to the base and the peep itself is on a spring that goes down when the scope is on and pops up when the scope is removed, so you're ready to go immediately after the scope is removed.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
That's pretty nifty.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by ftbt

Not necessarily... since I bought my first set of QD mounts from LaRue, I've bought 6-7 more sets for the rest of my AR's. I've got more free caps and "beverage entry" tools from LaRue Tactical than I can ever use.

But back to the OP, I don't know of any advantage of Talley fixed mounts over QD mounts, but the advantages of having 2 scopes in QD rings for one African rifle are obvious. I took two scopes for my .375 on safari, a 1-4X Trijicon that I used to take my buff, kudu, and zebra in the brush, and then I switched over to a 2.5-8X Nikon for the more open country hunting eland.

While I was in training for my safari, I swapped out scopes at each range session, so I was intimately familiar with the mount/dismount process and shooting with both scopes as well as irons became purely instinctive. They always returned exactly to zero.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I have both, like QD's better, fixed are cheaper.

QD's, using screws instead of levers, are basically fixed with the advantage of being able to remove the scope without losing zero settings and position.

The only advantage to fixed, IMO, is price.

DF

NDHuntr Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the feedback guys. Have the screw lock QD's in hand with 2 sets of rings. Getting things in order for March trip to SA. That Brockman peep looks great. Anybody know if he is still making those? Guess I could just call and find out.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
The only advantage to fixed, IMO, is price. DF

Fixed for those who never remove their optics.
Qd's for those who do.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by NDHuntr
Have the screw lock QD's in hand with 2 sets of rings.

Smart man.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For anyone interested I've had the QDs on and off my 375 HH more Tom's then I can count over ten years.

I cannot recall ever having them out of square or needing any scope adjustment I have warne but the tally rings are identical.

They would not be as strong in a tumble or fall in my opinion as the leupolds dual dovetail mounts but odds are the scope itself would be more prone to damage.

I deliberately remove the scope and practice check the POI with the stock open sights, the Ashley peep, Then back to the scope to verify. In all the years of use as a loaner and as my hunting rifle it's been perfect!

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by JJHACK
For anyone interested I've had the QDs on and off my rifles more times than I can count over ten years. In all the years of use......it's been perfect!

Same here.

NDHuntr Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Good to hear from guys who use their gear and know what works. Thanks again for the advice and education.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by DocRocket

Not necessarily... since I bought my first set of QD mounts from LaRue, I've bought 6-7 more sets for the rest of my AR's. I've got more free caps and "beverage entry" tools from LaRue Tactical than I can ever use. ...

What ... you didn't get any of their rub?? I just got a riser in yesterday and they included the "normal tchotskes" + a jar of the rub.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Fjold
The QDs are like having a fire extinguisher in the house, you probably won't ever need them.

Not much to say after that.

Mike

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
If the price was the same, all my fixed Talleys would be QD's, set up with the supplied screws rather than levers.

It's always nice to be able to remove a scope without having to start over with mounting. And, as someone posted earlier, the 4 screw QD ring will hold the scope better with a big kicker than the 2 screw fixed ring.

DF

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yeah, I have QD Talleys on a few rifles just because I have to try so many different scopes. I can take the rifle's "standard" scope off and put a "test" scope on the rifle with non-detachable rings. Then when the test's over I can put the original scope back on.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by DocRocket

Not necessarily... since I bought my first set of QD mounts from LaRue, I've bought 6-7 more sets for the rest of my AR's. I've got more free caps and "beverage entry" tools from LaRue Tactical than I can ever use. ...

What ... you didn't get any of their rub?? I just got a riser in yesterday and they included the "normal tchotskes" + a jar of the rub.

Yeah, their dry rub is pretty good... I liked it so much I figured out how to make my own. It's basically Lowry's Seasoned Salt with a bit of sugar and garlic powder added.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
MD, I recall reading about your "test" scope... what make/model are you using for that purpose? What made you pick that one?

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Doc,

I don't use just one test scope, but over the past decade have often relied on a 10x40 Leupold Mark 4 during initial testing of harder-kicking rifles chambered in longer-range rifles. Lately have also been using a 10x SWFA and a Nightforce 3-10x SHV for the same purpose.

When testing rifles chambered for moderate-range, harder-recoiling cartridges from the .375 H&H on up I usually use a 4x M8 Leupold.

John Steinbeck
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
650 members (1234, 257 roberts, 1lessdog, 2500HD, 257Bob, 75 invisible), 2,758 guests, and 1,318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,650
Posts18,399,153
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.