-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Back in the early 1930's Granddad bought a Remington Model 24, a licensed version of Browning's semi-auto .22, in .22 Short. (The year of manufacture is 1931.) As a kid in the 1950's I enjoyed shooting it whenever I could. Knowing that I would likely be a senior citizen before I would inherit it, if ever, my first major purchase after getting out of the service in 1974 was a Browning SA-22 in .22 LR.

In the 1980's I purchased a Browning scope mount for it. During installation I found the rear (longer) screw provided with the scope mount was too short and would engage only one thread or so. If I tightened the screw much it would pop loose. I tightened it just enough to keep it engaged and called it good, thinking I would fix it later. I put thousands of rounds through that rifle with the scope attached and it shot well enough that 20-ish years later Daughter #3, by then a teenager with a driver's license, was able to hit 11 clay pigeons at 200 yards with 12 shots. Over the years I forgot all about the screw problem.

The "later" in "fix it later" turned out to be about 30 years later. A couple weeks ago I removed the scope and, when attempting to reinstall it, rediscovered the screw problem. Rather than live with it again I called Browning. Customer support for Browning rifles transferred me to Browning corporate and a lady there (Leslie) sent me 4 screws for free. It was a nice gesture but they were too long for the front and too short for the rear. A second call to Browning was fruitless - they could not even provide the thread pitch and insisted the screws I received were the correct ones, knowing that my rifle had been built in 1974 (something I ascertained with them based on the serial number) and having the model number (8517) for the scope mount. Another lady said she would contact the Product Manager regarding the screw issue to see if more information could be provided but in the end their only additional "help" was to take the rifle to a gunsmith.

Since another scope mount lists for about $70 and a properly sized end mill needed to deepen the rear screw hole would be about $60, I kept digging and found a reference to the screws being 6-48. For $3 I ordered 4 screws at 9/16" length and this morning I carefully cut and ground one with my Dremel so that it would be just shy of bottoming out when tight. Now the rear screw is tight and the scope is back on the rifle. Unless I get it wet and need to remove the scope mount to clean and oil underneath it, the scope will probably never come off again.

While the problem with Browning service and the screw was a minor issue, I was disappointed no one at Browning could provide any information about the screw except the length, and that turned out to be wrong. This is my third experience with Browning service and the others were even less satisfactory.

Back in the early 1990's Browning introduced the 9mm BDM with 15-round magazines. I purchased one and quickly discovered hitting a 5 gallon bucket at a few yards was a challenge for everyone that tried it - including Granddad who used to shoot ground squirrels and other burrowing varmints with a .22 Short pistol when out on his tractor. Eventually I contacted Browning and sent it in to be checked. Browning put the pistol in a Ransom Rest (or something similar) and shot a nice 25-yard target. Great, I thought, all I need to do is carry a mechanical rest with me.

My next step was to take the BDM to a gunsmith, who measured the trigger pull weight as "off the scale" using his 12-pound gauge. After a trigger job by a local smith it became an excellent shooter. I guess a trigger pull weight of 12+ pounds met Browning's spec?

Another Browning pistol, a .22LR Challenger, was also sent back to Browning, this one for repair because it often failed to fire. Browning quoted $50 for the repair, which I assumed meant a new firing pin and/or spring. Sometime later I got contacted by Browning and they wanted to sell me a new Buckmark for several hundred dollars. My response was no thanks, please just fix and return the Challenger. A few days later I get a box from Browning. The shipping papers in the outside box had the Challenger name and serial number but the cardboard box inside had a mismatch in the model and serial number (I forget which was wrong). Inside the interior cardboard box was a plastic pistol case with a label that said "Buckmark" and had the correct serial number for the new Buckmark that was inside.

While the Challenger was nothing special as a pistol, it shot well when working and had considerable sentimental value that the new Buckmark was lacking. Before Browning swapped the pistol they should have contacted me and given me the choice of a swap or having the Challenger returned without repair. I ended up contacting them again and asking for a letter explaining what they had done, to include the pistol descriptions and serial numbers. They did provide the letter, which I still have.

When I look back on them, none of the three experiences with Browning service resulted in the desired outcome. Two left me disappointed and the third, when they swapped my pistol without permission, left me angry. Although I've come to like the Buckmark, it still has no particular sentimental value.

As I worked on modifying a screw for the scope mount this morning I couldn't help thinking about and contrasting my experiences with Browning and Ruger service. The differences are like night and day as my several experiences with Ruger service have all had very positive outcomes.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Coyote Hunter,

I am sorry to hear about your problems with Browning. I have also had less than stellar service from them. I had an A Bolt Micro which I sent in for repair. When I got it back it had a nickel sized dent in the stock which was not there when I sent it. I considered sending back a second time, but I sold it and bought something else. If my local smith couldn't fix the problem I would not send it to them.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
While looking for something else I found the correspondence regarding the Browning Challenger that Browning replaced with the Buckmark. No wonder I was displeased with Browning at the time.

Five months prior to sending the Challenger in for repair I had another experience with Browning I had forgotten about. I had ordered a replacement spring and an illustrated parts breakdown for the Challenger. What I got was an empty envelope with the springs part number on the outside and the parts breakdown. It was after that when I decided to send the Challenger in and let Browning make the necessary repairs.

I had written a letter to Browning authorizing up to $50 in repairs and provided my credit card information. The letter explicitly stated that if the repair cost would exceed $50 that my approval for additional charges was to be obtained and that I was to be contacted by mail or phone (day and evening numbers were provided) for such approval.

Instead, Browning shipped me the new Buckmark and charged my credit card for an amount far exceeding the authorization I had provided. I wrote them another letter detailing the sequence of events, asking for my Challenger to be repaired and returned as promised. The letter also asked what I should do with the Buckmark as I would not going to return it at my cost but would be happy to do so at Browning's expense. I did offer to accept the swap if Browning would accept the $44 I had been quoted for the Challenger repairs.

To Browning's credit, they did a full refund so the repair/exchange cost me nothing except the loss of Challenger, which, as I stated to Browning, had sentimental value because it reminded me of Granddad's High Standard .22 which I shot as a kid.

Also to Browning's credit, they did not swap the Challenger with a bottom of the line Buckmark but rather a 'Buckmark Plus'.

Granted, this all happened back in 1992 and 1993. Every time I shot the Buckmark I thought about the Challenger with its sleek lines, and Granddad's High Standard. Granddad passed away in 2011 at the age of 100 and a couple of years ago Dad, before he passed away, too, gave me the High Standard. I don't miss the Challenger as much now.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I got great customer service from browning. I had a BLR that the bolt developed corrosion and deep pitting. Newer stainless version. Never out hunting just a couple range trips. Cared for the gun no different than all my other guns. Figured there was some kind of contamination of the bolt steel. Browning paid shipping both ways and replaced the bolt no charge.

They also paid shipping both ways when I had to send it back to them. First time at the range pulled the trigger and it just went click. Figure they could not find any 358 ammo so they figured test firing was not necessary.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

680 members (1_deuce, 1beaver_shooter, 1eyedmule, 1minute, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 62 invisible), 3,047 guests, and 1,337 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,698
Posts18,456,710
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.