Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
T
TXRam Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
I'm calling Remington tomorrow. 8+" not worth trying different Ammo, floating, etc. My worst experience prior to this was a Ruger Tang safety (wood stock, thin barrel) 270 - 4-5" that improved to 1-1.5" with bedding and floating.

I always check for base screws contacting the barrel threads. Not that, and everything was torqued properly.

Don't think it's the nut behind the trigger... Was also shooting a used Kimber Montana 7-08 I picked up a few months back - 1.5" 5-shot group with a lighter rifle with more recoil.

GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Given you've checked all the screws' torques, checked for interference from the mount screws and tried two scopes (which I take it are good on other rifles) the only other thing I'd try before sending it back is to take the metalwork out of the stock and check if there's anything caught in there, such as a bit of packaging material, or something interfering with proper bearing of the action in the stock (rub marks ). I certainly wouldn't modify anything, nor try handloads, either of which might give a pretext to avoid warranty.

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Screw it....Id send it back to Remington and let them deal with it.......Good luck.....Hb

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Front action screw hitting bolt lug

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good luck with Remington customer service. You'll need it.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Bummer dude! I've had one serious problem with a new gun, a New Bearcat that had timing and cylinder locking issues. Took two trips back to Ruger to get it fixed, but eventually they got it right and now it's a favorite. They also reimbursed me for the shipping I paid on the first go-round as well as sent me a pre-paid label for the second. In your case, maybe you should try and get the store to send it back.

Good luck.

What fresh Hell is this?
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by TXRam
I'm calling Remington tomorrow. 8+" not worth trying different Ammo, floating, etc. My worst experience prior to this was a Ruger Tang safety (wood stock, thin barrel) 270 - 4-5" that improved to 1-1.5" with bedding and floating.

I always check for base screws contacting the barrel threads. Not that, and everything was torqued properly.

Don't think it's the nut behind the trigger... Was also shooting a used Kimber Montana 7-08 I picked up a few months back - 1.5" 5-shot group with a lighter rifle with more recoil.

"Two shots side by side" is worth trying different ammo, and floating.

I would at least cut a couple of strips of business card and place them under the recoil lug until it rises it enough to float the barrel. This might save you the agrivation of Rem sending the rifle back to you with a note that says, "accuracy within imits."

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
Screw it....Id send it back to Remington and let them deal with it.......Good luck.....Hb

Remington will not "deal with it."

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
My Step-Dad got a 700 Mtn rifle in 7mm08 that was almost as bad. Would shoot 6-7 inch groups with all ammo at 100 yards. After lots of wasted time on our part to get it to shoot. We sent it back to Remington turned out to be a bad spot in the rifleing right at the end of the barrel. They fixed it and sent it back with a test target. 3 shoots in less than an inch off there machine rest. Now it shoots great and we actually had good service from them. Guess we can be thankful.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Sounds like something is wrong with the rifle.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Remington shoots their rifles for accuracy, at least they used too. If I had a new rifle that shot that bad if send it back and let them determine the issue.
About the only thing I can think of is something changed after their test firing(if they still do that and I bet they do).
But I'd bet they will fix the problem.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Rather have a gun shooting 20" groups, than one that shot 2" groups...a gun throwing a 20" group should be easy to solve, because its got to be pretty obvious...

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
I've had a couple of older Ruger Model 77s that did not "Pattern" very well.

donsm70

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by GeorgiaBoy
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly

Remington will not "deal with it."

They might, I sent a Sendero back that had a bad spot in the rifling that shot like the OP's rifle. They sent a whole new rifle to replace it free of charge.
Originally Posted by Bugger

Remington shoots their rifles for accuracy, at least they used too. If I had a new rifle that shot that bad if send it back and let them determine the issue.
About the only thing I can think of is something changed after their test firing(if they still do that and I bet they do).
But I'd bet they will fix the problem.

This is also probably not true. They claim to shoot them but it is kinda hard to shoot them for accuracy when I have seen them right out of the box missing minor details like rifling or a chamber. They damn sure stamp the proof mark on them like they shot them though.

Amazing the things you see working in a factory service center for a decade.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Sometimes you gamble and get lucky.....

My tupperware stocked Wally World model 700 ADL youth in 243 will put 3 shots into 5/8" using 41 grains of IMR 4350 and a 95 grain BT

Last edited by Ghostman; 07/05/16.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
is it possible Remington outsourced thier barrels from Kimber?

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Bad crown? Sounds to me something is touching somewhere....

But yeah that sucks, a guy shouldn't have to tweak a new gun and p huck around with it right out of the box.

Just like that Remington LRR, I bought. Worst trigger every.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I seem to recall from past discussions that all problems with Remington rifles can be traced to the operator having his/her finger on the trigger.

(Send it to either RCBS or Leupold customer service. smile )

Last edited by 5sdad; 07/06/16.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by TXRam
Dam site is getting almost impossible to use on my iPad.

I am glad it's not just me. This site doesn't run worth a damn on any device I have ever tried.

And, it's the only one of all 10 or so that I frequent.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I know a guy who bought a Ruger #1 in 22-250 several years and the accuracy is terrible. He kept it because the wood is gorgeous unlike any I have seen on a Ruger rifle.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

551 members (160user, 12344mag, 16penny, 007FJ, 163bc, 10gaugeman, 49 invisible), 2,212 guests, and 1,138 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,604
Posts18,454,831
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.