Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I'm about to pull the trigger on one of these. Any input good or bad would be great. I will get it in .22 so if you have one in that caliber I would especially like to hear about it's small game effects out to 50 yards.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
BP-B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
No first hand experience here, sorry.
I just finished reading a 2nd look review in the latest "Air Gunner" magazine of the TX 200 in .177.
$10 from the local Barnes and Nobel but the TX200 review was why I bought it.
They like it "the TX was the least hold sensitive spring piston rifle I've ever tried".

We'll need pictures and your review when it arrives!!!

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Never owned a TX 200, shot numerous in .177. Agree it's the best springer you can buy. Should work well as long as you don't need to carry it a long distance.

David

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
The only negative I can think of is the weight. I almost bought one myself, but they're too darn heavy to lug around the woods for me. The RWS 350 is a beast to lug around and the TX200 is about pound heavier.

JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
The use for my needs will be from a truck killing pests or likely Form an elevated blind near my orchard.

I have a rabbit/ pigeon/ dove/ muskrat population that is getting insane. Here.

When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Excellent choice then!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
All the reviews I have heard have been positive. I own a Beeman R-9 in .22 cal, considered the TX200 but $650 for the rifle then add a decent scope was just too much for me. FWIW the Beeman has been an excellent rifle - I shoot a hundred or so rock chucks with it each spring in semi-urban areas where a .22lr would be dangerous. You should be good to go at around 50 yards. I thumped a rock chuck in the head at 65 yards last weekend with my R9 - it shoots about 675fps at the muzzle with 14.3gr Crossman Premiers. Hit that chuck just below the ear, you could see the blood come out and he just laid down flat and never moved again. That was a pretty long shot, most of my shooting is 50yds and under - preferably 25 to 40. Those Crossman hollow points put them right to sleep. Rock Chucks are on the big end of what should be shot with a pellet rifle but with good shot placement it takes them out.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by centershot; 05/09/16.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Impressive for 675fps! The TX is claimed just a bit faster so I think you're correct, 50 yards should be doable!

Fortunately I already have an used older scope and rings. I've had both a Pro Elite in .22 and a HW 97 in .20 in the past. I really liked the fixed barrel so much better. That's why I chose the TX200

The TX is a better built gun then the HW from what I've seen of them in South Africa. Plus a fair bit more powerful too. I'm curious to see how the B&C reticle in this Leopold scope actually measures out with ultra short range air rifle distances!

If it's not a good fit I can get another scope down the road.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A pellet rifle will show just how little speed has to do with killing power. I shot a chuck one time at around 30 yards - shot, saw the pellet hit in the mud 20 yards beyond with a big old splat. Thought I'd missed when it actually shot right through his head and still hit with enough energy to make a crater. Pretty impressive when you think they only start out with 14 ft/lb of energy to begin with and are down to 7 ft/lb at 50 yards. The inefficient shape (BC=~0.020)of the pellet makes them nearly totally spent at 100 yards. That low BC and velocity also makes them drop pretty fast. They really make you shoot, especially if the wind is blowing. A 4" hold over and 4" of wind is not uncommon out around 50 yards. Fun stuff.

Last edited by centershot; 05/10/16.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
For me it's quite similar to being an almost 100% archery hunter, and then going on a rifle hunt.

I'm so used to 20-30 yards and then the world opens up to 200-300 yards and beyond.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Cracks me the fhuqk up,to watch Dumbfhuqks bump their pointy heads,while trying to do their best.

Firstly...THIS offers a Real World peek at what do what.

Factoring a 22cal JSB Exact 14.3gr(actual) at a 680fps launch ala 35yd zero,lotsa nice thangs is easily arranged,assumin' RWS inclined unitized mount and 10x MQ.

10yd interactions(the glass will adjust parallax to that distance and a CH closer to boot) will induce a -.7 Mil flight pattern disparity and that of course is easily subtended. The greatest midrange hurdle transpires at 20yds,which arranges a +.8 Mil flight pattern,which is just as easily thwarted via the windshield.

On the other side of the 35yd zero,50yds is a paltry 1.7 Mil correction and full value 10mph wind there is a 3.4 Mil holdoff. Hardly "daunting" to arrange both on the windshield. Hint.

100yds is but 10.4 Mils of ele and that again is easily covered by simply looking through the fhuqking glass. Hint.

On a fixed barrel,droop isn't a factor and with RWS inclination and a 10x Fixed Fhuqker,the 150yd line is a literal breeze on the erector alone.(24.5 Mil correction). Add the 10 Mils on the windshield to the equation and one could easily reach the 175yd line. Hint.

It'll only "surprise" the DUMBEST of fhuqks,that Physics applies to centerfire,rimfire and pneumatics. Hint.

Range it,dope it,send it...pick out the next victim. BFD,nothing to it and simply teach yourself good habits,if only for the first time.

You've been led to water,don't fhuqking spill it.

Hint.

Should it help anyone's Imagination or Pretend,PLEASE feel free to try and convince yourself of the Delusion,that I am guessing. A tuned FWB 300S (Maccari arctic) and a .021BC at 635fps.

[Linked Image]

Ammo R&D,with Sister gunning a hasty 25yd trio. Easy to trade some short range Precision,to better than double BC values. Hint.

[Linked Image]

BKL mounted,awaiting the RWS mount.

[Linked Image]

The 97's Rekord trigger steals the show.

You'll fhuqk it up.

Laughing!....................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I guess what they say is true...yes, I'm guessin.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Cracks me the fhuqk up,to watch Dumbfhuqks bump their pointy heads,while trying to do their best.

Firstly...THIS offers a Real World peek at what do what.

Factoring a 22cal JSB Exact 14.3gr(actual) at a 680fps launch ala 35yd zero,lotsa nice thangs is easily arranged,assumin' RWS inclined unitized mount and 10x MQ.

10yd interactions(the glass will adjust parallax to that distance and a CH closer to boot) will induce a -.7 Mil flight pattern disparity and that of course is easily subtended. The greatest midrange hurdle transpires at 20yds,which arranges a +.8 Mil flight pattern,which is just as easily thwarted via the windshield.

On the other side of the 35yd zero,50yds is a paltry 1.7 Mil correction and full value 10mph wind there is a 3.4 Mil holdoff. Hardly "daunting" to arrange both on the windshield. Hint.

100yds is but 10.4 Mils of ele and that again is easily covered by simply looking through the fhuqking glass. Hint.

On a fixed barrel,droop isn't a factor and with RWS inclination and a 10x Fixed Fhuqker,the 150yd line is a literal breeze on the erector alone.(24.5 Mil correction). Add the 10 Mils on the windshield to the equation and one could easily reach the 175yd line. Hint.

It'll only "surprise" the DUMBEST of fhuqks,that Physics applies to centerfire,rimfire and pneumatics. Hint.

Range it,dope it,send it...pick out the next victim. BFD,nothing to it and simply teach yourself good habits,if only for the first time.

You've been led to water,don't fhuqking spill it.

Hint.

Should it help anyone's Imagination or Pretend,PLEASE feel free to try and convince yourself of the Delusion,that I am guessing. A tuned FWB 300S (Maccari arctic) and a .021BC at 635fps.

[Linked Image]

Ammo R&D,with Sister gunning a hasty 25yd trio. Easy to trade some short range Precision,to better than double BC values. Hint.

[Linked Image]

BKL mounted,awaiting the RWS mount.

[Linked Image]

The 97's Rekord trigger steals the show.

You'll fhuqk it up.

Laughing!....................

Or just hold a tad low for the short shots and a bit high for the longer ones. No pseudo swearing necessary, just squeeze off the shot and whack dead critter.

Last edited by centershot; 06/07/16.

JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
This Rifle is one of the true pleasures in life. I often find myself shooting for an hour or so without any type of setup using the mechanical knock down targets. No reloading, no noise, no recoil ( rifle level), inexpensive readily available ammo

Enough power to be very interesting and accuracy that is astonishing, at least to me. Why I did not get this rifle earlier in life is horrible! If you really love shooting and want to do it frequently, getting a high quality air rifle is a great idea.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have been blessed to have many premium air rifles in the last 20+ years. Best hobby money I have ever spent. It is hard to cuff the initial cost, but considering the cost of ammo, they are really a good buy. Some of the best shootin' a guy can get.

JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Who doesn't like to buy something that is shiny new and perfect?

Like jeans or new boots, for example. But wait, aren't they better with wear and use?

Yep...... They sure are! Ya know springer rifles are the same way. This TX is absolutely brilliant! It's cocking and firing cycle is a work of art. Just how much better can it get?

Dropped over 50 doves and rabbits this week. Not a single miss nor a single wounded. From 20 to 40 yards or a bit more. This is an addiction I can comfortably live with!

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Now that I have a PCP in .25 I may start pondering a springer in .22

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Middlefork_Miner
Now that I have a PCP in .25 I may start pondering a springer in .22

Get a PCP in 22 cal, why a springer

JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
For me living in the desert side of the mountains a PCP tank is not easy to fill anyplace, not much scuba business within a couple hundred miles. The hand pump I had before was quite the task at the volume I shoot.

I loved everything about the PCP aside from the ability to charge it up. I suppose I could have gone all in and purchased my own compressor..... kinda spendy though!

There is something entirely satisfying about a springer for me. The skills to shoot, and the endless supply of power make it a very entertaining and challenging time.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Love my 200TX HC. Accurate and powerful after about 6 years of use now. I had it tuned, and it has a Hawke scope on it that has been excellent too.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
753 members (10ring1, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 02bfishn, 12308300, 11point, 86 invisible), 2,821 guests, and 1,249 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,702
Posts18,400,027
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.