Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Tejano Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Why are these not in use more? Very little information available on them. Sleeved aluminum barrels are popular for .22 rim fires why not center fires?

From LW: http://www.lothar-walther.com/396.php
From Accurate Shooter: http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com...light-barrels-less-heat-half-the-weight/

Varmint contour at half the weight and faster cooling time. Less POI change in 20+ shot strings. What's not to like except they are pricey and available as pre-chambered only. But they have lot's of options so basically a custom.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Brownells has the 257 in light varmint taper 2100, and I have built a rifle, but it is heavy.

They used to have 224 bull barrels, I build one and it is very heavy.

I have built a 7mm with the sporter 1300 taper, and it is just right.

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...rrel-blanks/rifle-barrels-prod15610.aspx

I can't get wholesale LW prices except for the limited brownells selection, so I have giving up and now build my rifles with Shilen, Benchmark, and Krieger.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Tejano
Why are these not in use more? Very little information available on them. Sleeved aluminum barrels are popular for .22 rim fires why not center fires?

From LW: http://www.lothar-walther.com/396.php
From Accurate Shooter: http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com...light-barrels-less-heat-half-the-weight/

Varmint contour at half the weight and faster cooling time. Less POI change in 20+ shot strings. What's not to like except they are pricey and available as pre-chambered only. But they have lot's of options so basically a custom.

If they were good, Folks would buy them. Must not be good.

T
Tejano Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Probably but if it works for a.22 then maybe it would for others. Don't know and at that price I would like more data before trying. Butch you are one of the few here with immense practical experience, was hoping you would buy one.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Did not see prices on either page- how much?

Who is John Galt?
IC B2

T
Tejano Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
The Accurate Shooter notice I believe said $825.00 but that may be for the .50 cal. version. Couldn't tell and didn't fill out the order to see if that gave the price. So many options is why I think they don't show a fixed price.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Why would you pay that kind of money for a heavy aluminum clad barrel? If you search the Accuratereloading Forum, I believe a guy posted about working on this project. He was a pistol guy with a checkered past. He disappeared after a bit. He was claiming a new super process doing this.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Was not sure of the cost, but I would love a light weight, very stable barrel.

Who is John Galt?
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Other cheaper ways to do it.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Never a LW barrel in my hands....

IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by WayneShaw

I trust you mean Lo Wal and not light weight.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
Originally Posted by WayneShaw

I trust you mean Lo Wal and not light weight.

Yes Lothar Walther barrels.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
IME Lothar Walther Barrels SUCK ASS

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The one I had in 9.3 was very accurate and easy to clean. My gunsmith had no complaints and recommended them. He also used a LW barrel on a .404 Jeffery project for me- can't comment on it because it has not been stocked.

Who is John Galt?
T
Tejano Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
He was claiming a new super process doing this.

Sounds like it is just heat swagged in place like a Stolle action. This has been used for years to sleeve actions and barrels.

I know some people don't like the Walther barrels because of the hardness and machine-ability when chambering. I have heard of them being compared to SAKO barrels in this regard. Are there any other reasons why they are not in use more around here? As in they suck how?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have never chambered a LW in stainless, but I read it is tricky. That was all over the internet 10 years ago.

The 4140 is like any other Chrome Moly barrel, that is what I have been doing with LW.

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/gunsmithing/chambering-lothar-walther-barrel-126614/

The Shilen stainless barrels cut like butta:)

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
He was claiming a new super process doing this.

Sounds like it is just heat swagged in place like a Stolle action. This has been used for years to sleeve actions and barrels.

I know some people don't like the Walther barrels because of the hardness and machine-ability when chambering. I have heard of them being compared to SAKO barrels in this regard. Are there any other reasons why they are not in use more around here? As in they suck how?

Was this the guy that was going on about explosive welding? Using explosives to generate the heat/force/pressure to bond dissimilar metals such as aluminum and steel on large surface areas.

T
Tejano Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Heard about the explosion welding and seemed like another example of people liking to blow stuff up.

The Stolle process cools the inner metal steel and heats the outer aluminum then swages them together before temperature transfer occurs. Once it reaches ambient temperature it is bonded. Works and is not affected by reasonable temperature changes.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Yeah, doing a interference shrink fit on a short bushing is a lot different than trying to do it on a 20+ inch long part and be successful each time. You'd have a be really quick getting them together. Would be fun to watch.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Heard about the explosion welding and seemed like another example of people liking to blow stuff up.

The Stolle process cools the inner metal steel and heats the outer aluminum then swages them together before temperature transfer occurs. Once it reaches ambient temperature it is bonded. Works and is not affected by reasonable temperature changes.

Stolle receivers do not have a heat and cold process. The Stolle receivers have a threaded bushing that screws into the receiver. I have some of their bushings. Used to use them as a go gauge on barrel threads because they held very tight tolerances. I like my thread mic.
gzig5- He claimed some super new tech to spray the barrels I believe.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

645 members (160user, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 1973cb450, 71 invisible), 3,007 guests, and 1,214 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,263
Posts18,467,116
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.